Replacement for ASUS P8Z77ws

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Replacement for ASUS P8Z77ws

Postby slimer8 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:04 pm

My ASUS P8Z77ws seems to have bitten the dust. About a month ago, my machine, running consistently since March 2013, started shutting down or going to a black screen with the current state of not even being able to boot into BIOS. We (Asus tech) have done everything seemingly possible to troubleshoot the problem. I was all set to get an RMA for the motherboard but they are telling me it is out of warranty. I'd like to get a replacement but not sure of what's a good choice at this point. I'd like to keep as much as possible from the current set up but an open for suggestions. The configuration is as follows:

MB: ASUS P8Z77 WS
Processor: Core I7 3770K
4 sticks of Corsair CMZ32G X 3M4 X1600c10
Video card: EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GTX 512 ram
Currently have all 8 on board SATA's occupied, 6 of them with Hard drives (used as server)

Just a note, the Bios firmware is current, we tried clearing CMOS, we disconnected all SATA except for the boot drive, we removed all but one memory stick, we disconnected the video card. We ran chkdsk and memcheck.
Last edited by slimer8 on Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Replacement for ASUS P8Z77ws

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:30 am

May not be an issue with this motherboard, but look over all the larger capacitors for signs of domed tops, excessive leaning or leakage. They are bad. They can be replaced if your soldering skills are good, but must be the exact same specs as original. Low-ESR class replacements are preferred. More info about the "bad caps" plague at http://www.badcaps.org/
If looking for a replacement, then chipsets and features would have to be identical, or the OS will need a reinstall. Brand might be different but still be the same entity.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:15 pm

Have you tried taking it out of the case, taking RAM and CPU out, giving it a good clean up, cleaning the case, PSU and Video card (using canned air and a clean dry paintbrush) and putting it back together...? Have you tried another PSU?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby slimer8 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:45 pm

I did check caps and all that are visible look good.
I do not have a spare socket LGA1155 processor and I have not taken the MB out of the case yet. Was waiting for the death blessing from ASUS which I got yesterday and is out of warranty. (This is the second ASUS MB to go bad for me (is this a sign). It seems that these failures always happen around the holidays.)
Tried another SSD bootable drive and that did not help.
After this weekend, will try your suggestion of dismantling the computer, clean it up and reinstall. If that fails, I'm going to check with ASUS for price to repair. A couple of problems with that is that I think the repair are only good for 90 days and I'm dealing with a machine almost 4 years old. I've been out of the loop for those years. Has technology changed that much:
E-bay search was not much luck, crazy prices.

Which brings me to the original question, any ideas for replacement MB or should I just chalk it up for another lost MB and go with new MB, processor and ram? Note: edited the starting date of this machine to March 2013.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:54 am

If you have access to a POST diagnostics card, it may show a possible problem area. The POST card displays a two character code for each step. Any character set that 'hangs' is a possible cause as to where the problem lies.
Basic models can be had for about $30.00 USD.
If the chipset versions and other features of a replacement are near identical to the board, may be a chance the OS will just need a reactivation and not a full reinstall.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby slimer8 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:44 am

Not sure if this is the same but the MB has it's own post code display on the MB itself. It is hanging at a couple of different codes which do not point to any particular problem. When it does allow me BIOS access, the code sits at "IDE detect". This information was gone over with ASUS tech support with no conclusion other than to send the board in if desired.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:36 am

If getting a POST error code for "IDE detect", there would be an ID response to the POST check within a few seconds.. or could be up to 30 seconds time-out limit. If an IDE drive is connected, ensure the setting for master/slave is correct, and on the designated header, and that the drive has power. If no IDE device is used, set the BIOS page control concerning that feature to 'disabled' or N/A.
POST codes are different from error beeps, and also between BIOS brands. The motherboard manufacturer may have a page of POST and beep error codes at their site.
Doing a basic out-of-case as Mr T suggested is good practice. Use a non-conductive base for the motherboard.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby slimer8 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:32 pm

No IDE's are connected. Have run into a dead end at this point. Asus said $190.00 approximate for evaluation and repair with 90 day warranty. Am now looking for new MB and processor to run in existing box. Thanks for the advice.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:34 am

Do you require another workstation board, or a more mainstream board? (i.e. what do you normally use PC for?)..
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby slimer8 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:53 pm

Workstation used as server, movie and photo work, backing up of blu-ray movies is the major useage.

Intel Core i7-6800K Broadwell E Processor 3.4GHz 15MB LGA 2011-3 CPU

MSI X99A GAMING PRO CARBON LGA2011-v3/ Intel X99/ DDR4/ 3-Way CrossFireX & 3-Way SLI/ SATA3&USB3.1/M.2&U.2&SATA Express/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
or
Asus X99-Deluxe II (purchasing the extended warranty that Newegg offers)

2 sets of "GeIL EVO X 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model GEX416GB3200C16DC"
or
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Intel Z170 Platform Desktop Memory

Currently have and hope to keep video: EVGA e-GeForce 9800 GTX 512 ram

No reason for picking MSI other than overall MSI review and no reason for picking this particular model but as you can see, I have now decided to consider ASUS as well.
Any thoughts/suggestions?

Trying to keep total package between $700 and $900 although my new option package is heading towards $1100 on the higher end. Will go for the higher price if suggested to do so.
slimer8
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Recommendations