Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby azus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:58 am

I want to make clear about self-restarts issue. Is that the result of mb failure? If so - is that job of bad capacitors? If the reason of psu - is it of analogue capacitor origin? I have no message inside events of system of win xp to find it? How to differentiate two ones in error message if so? I have seen similar situation in public library pc that under similar relative load shuts down (it seems not be reset). If it could be the codegen psu how to calculate compound wattage (power): pentium 4, asus p5p800 mb, gygabyte 5200 agp card, samsung palo hd? Yet two small questions more: I now permanently see 8 kb of bad sector and no checkdisk /f after reboot cannot repair it. What could be the alternative to recover it, how reveal the exact path of such bad sector?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 am

Yet, when my pc restarts due to central power fluctuation I got 2 beeps during post check after standart one and need to press F2 to restore bios defaults? Why it happened every time if cmos has autonomous battery? Should it mean that battery is out of work as the start date of 2002 january 1 happened several times in such way in last week.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:54 am

Many causes for a PC to shut down. One is that the CPU has reached a higher than desired temperature.
Another is hardware failure, such as bad capacitors or other components. The PSU may not be adequate for the total load drawn, and regulation becomes erratic, causing the system to freeze or shut down.
Then the OS itself, self-checks for different features from original install. Memory not compatible to the system, repeated paging errors until correct, or the OS shuts down. The hard drive may have bad sectors where the OS files are, and the OS cannot load into memory properly.. and may shut down to protect its files.
Still other causes, such as a viral infection.
Lesser-quality PSU brands use cheaper components, and they can fail quickly. Regulation is not as good as with a quality brand PSU. The capacitors inside it may only be rated at 85°C, which is marginal for such devices. 105°C is preferred, where higher operating temperatures are encountered.
The total power rating for any PSU is on its label, along with the ratings for each source. If two sources are drawn at the maximum rated power, it can cause stability problems, and the OS may shut down.
There are several good diagnostic programs to check a hard drive's health. One is Seatools® from Seagate®.. http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Depending on how severe the problem of bad sectors is, some repairs may be possible.. but those sectors are no longer reliable, and are masked to avoid use. Any data that is in those sectors can be lost, if the diagnostics program cannot move the data to a known-good sector.
As stated before, once bad sectors appear, the end of the hard drive's life is very near.
As to getting more than one short beep on starting a system, there likely are conflicts between the BIOS page listings and what the system actually is constructed. Could be duplicated devices or wrong memory timings.
Have noted before, the BIOS battery is only a redundant backup for when no power enters the PSU, if the AC mains is disconnected or turned off. The PSU has a separate +5 volt source that is always active, to provide power to the BIOS and CMOS circuits as well as USB or other features, even when the system is not active.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:18 pm

Is two bad sectors so critical of 8 kb? I do think there should be some critical amount of it. I even do not know whether they were absent before mb change, and overvoltage that broken 12v tvs of hd, that I have several times took out and got to "air" in this winter. What would happens with them during OS reinstall? It was proposed repair tool of Seagate - should it fit for old Samsung. And about shut downs: the proc. temp was normal anyway. It is important to solve cmos issue as it skip the date. And it was fine to find diagnostics tool what reason of resets? It seems typical and as I mentioned not just on my pc. In the events: Engine state is changed from none to available ... so no actual info. It is in window power shell section. Indeed last events in Application and System section just from end of 2016.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:34 pm

The Seagate Seatools® diagnostics should work on most hard drive types.
Any hard drive that is more than 5 years old can be near its end of life. Depends on how many start/stop cycles it has endured.
Older drive platters were made of aluminum, with a magnetic coating. Excess heat could warp the disks, causing head contact and scraping of the coating. Newer disks are made of a glass substrate, with a similar magnetic coating. They are less prone to warping than the aluminum disks.
A hard drive should never be opened for inspection or service, unless in a 100% dust-free enclosure! A tiny spec of dust only 5 microns in size hitting the heads on a platter is like a car hitting a concrete barrier on a highway! A strand of average human hair is about 100 microns in size.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:00 am

The cmos battery is deficient in new stock mb so there were doubts that no more defects are there. Indeed if the reset os is very gross I wonder could I reinstall the windows os in the whole, or another big software such as VStudio, MS SQL server, that is deficient for now and probably just local or full system reinstall would help it. Moreover to reinstall iis 5.1 I can do nothing already (this is as big issue as restarts), indeed after changing battery of cmos and putting current 2017 time, I can see error list in Administrative tools- Events - Software/Applications. Talking about this restart issue I just remember that in the previous back it could happens when I used Process Explorer - that is also system was scanned in some way and such soft reset happened as here. The reading of old cd is also the reason to os reset now. There is also often partial system hang when switching to other windos/apps when old app saves its display on new window for about a minute. The only visible reason could be that I once changed xp sp2 to sp3. Now I have changed it several times but in vain.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 am

Win XP must have SP3 installed or will not be acceptable to Web access or current security programs. Win XP is officially abandoned, past its life cycle, but still a decent OS platform. Most programming on the market today will not install to Win XP though.
The system settings in the CMOS memory can change, if the BIOS battery is failing.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:31 am

With my old cmos battery everything is OK now (Indeed Asus Diagnostics even with native battery of new stock mb showed no errors). So after putting current date on OS the events snap-in works, iis as well after I deleted one file and uninstalled and reinstalled the iis. So now I need to restore the vs and ms server. The reason I did not move windows 7 there is absent of disk space especially on system disk (10 gb). Could I add another IDE drive or SATA one to extend current logical system disk (with new physical one) without reinstalling OS? And more about current one: i have recovered 1 bad sector with hdd regenerator but chkdsk further shows 8 kb of bad sectors. Should it mean that HDD Reg. just mask some magnetic defficiency, whether I should use regeneration just in dos-mode?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:08 pm

Each IDE or PATA controller can handle two devices. Best to keep the hard drives on one header, optical drives on another.
The 'master' and 'slave' settings must be correct for each IDE or PATA group. Many motherboard designs work happily with both PATA and SATA combinations. For SATA, there is only one drive per header connection.
You can add partitions to a hard drive, easily done. The primary partition must be within the BIOS limits, and also the OS limits. 32 GB is about maximum for a FAT32 OS base. Can go beyond 500 GB if in NTFS.
Cannot stress enough, when bad sectors appear, the end of life for the hard drive can be closing in. Prudent to get a new drive, migrate the old data to the new. Some programs do an automatic setup for the new drive to be bootable, and also balance the partition size from old to new. Take a look at Micronis Easy Migrate® and others. A purchased program is best.
If you have Windows 7 and an older OS version, there can be great difference in newer OS associated programming.. and may not work with older OS versions.
A problem with the Windows Internet Explorer is that it saves all Web files until you manually delete them, or set the choice to delete files on exit. Can be a huge waste of space if not cleared in a long time!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:49 am

Really it is not reliable to add new space to already hd with bad sectors. Is 8 kb so much? Should it mean that hd would be eventually destroyed? Maybe this bad sectors appeared a long time ago or maybe they are the result of some one moment impact. Anyway it would be fine to convert lba to real disk path. And I do not understand what really do hdd regenerator - it recovered one bad sector so it is not physical damage. Should this recovery mean that this place/sector would not be used anyway? The several kb is so small volume.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations