Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:47 pm

All LED lamps are polarity sensitive, work properly on DC voltage only. If reversed connection, will not light, but no damage.
The owner's manual should have diagrams of all the motherboard pinouts and headers, with polarity markings. For a hard drive LED, a red lead would be the positive. For the power LED, green. Other common colors such as white or black would be the negative lead. Some LED power indicators may have a yellow lead also, this is a 'sleep' or 'message' lead connection to display a yellow LED color.
Has been noted many times, the proper amount of thermal paste must be used to ensure a desired heat transfer from the CPU to the heat sink. An amount about the size of a cooked rice grain is average. This must be spread across the entire CPU cap assembly, to make optimal contact with the heat sink. A thermal pad may need trimming to ensure it contacts only the CPU cap, and not any CPU retaining collars.
The BIOS page shows CPU temperature and has limit settings, there are third-party programs to monitor system temperatures and voltages. Most diagnostic programs can tap into the system monitors and display status.
For any CPU cooler that has four mount screws, all must be equally secured for equal pressure across the entire CPU cap. If not, then thermal transfer is not ideal. One area of the CPU may be too warm, another not so.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:47 am

After changing 2 fasteners and thermopast everything seems ok. When idle, cpu- 45 ¤, when just winamp plays-52 ¤, when searching files - up to 70 ¤. Should it be normal? For example winamp frequently is crashed - should it be the reason of bad memory? I have checked by aida, everest, asus pc diagnostics. What other more profound free tools for mb checks? For example, for check of chipset (temperature), or VRM? The last is probably better defended as it has "asus fanless design" grey box in the area of vrm. Should vcore cpu voltage characterize the vrm? One thing that this p5p800 first edition has no one is absence of pwr_fan outlet, indeed there is chassis_fan? How to use pwr_fan pins to check the rotation of psu fan? pwr_fan was present on p5p800 se. And due to the no rotating fan inside codegen psu it was overheated, burned during the OS shut down and destroyed the mb.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:58 am

All "fanless" designs are intended for quiet operation, not cooling efficiency under load. There has to be sufficient air flow through the case, to expel waste heat. If no case fan, then the PSU is the only exhaust of waste heat.. and it may suffer from high temperatures.
70° C. is the upper limit of operation before data throttling may slow the system. Beyond that, the safety features in the CPU design can shut down the system.
The BIOS pages detail system voltages and fan speed. There may be a program from the motherboard provider to display those features, by a "system monitor". There are third-party programs that also can display system statistics.
If a PSU has the external leads to monitor its fan speed, then the motherboard should have the header to connect to. Otherwise, if no external leads, no practicable way to monitor PSU fan speed unless the fan is replaced with one that has the feature.
A premium-quality PSU may have ball-bearing fans, for longer life. But the lesser brands may have fans with sleeve bearings, in which the lube dries after maybe a year or two of use, and the fan stops spinning. The end result is a bookend or boat anchor.
All small "brushless" fans rely on a servo-type induction coil that causes magnets inside the fan hub to spin it. Bearing friction is a big hindrance.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:21 am

As I have Everest should have some indicator of NB temperature. Indeed its link https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/10 ... ge-run-at/ tells about absence of NB, but it relates probably to new mb and new cpu where they are transferred to. Indeed this link tells about vrm temp that should also interesting but due additional Fanless grew box cooling of underside of it (vrm) should be weaker then in SE version mb that has open vrm. Besides I have read about aux temperature that shows about 123 and supposedly to be chipset or some underfined source - why it is located there? Relating to my codegen 300 w it improbably has any fan 3 pin connectors, if not in inside. But I have read that such psu is made of cheap components so it overheat itself and wholesystem due to weak fan, so original issue of stopped fan again pose a risk with stock and already repaired psu.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:08 pm

Only four main features of any computer are the major heat producers. First is the CPU, then the video card, the hard drive and NB chipset if present. Sufficient air flow through the case must be done, or the system can overheat.
The temperature reading of the NB (North Bridge) chipset would be as the 'motherboard' temperature. It must have a heat sink or other cooling needs, as it is the main data artery. Memory, video, all features of the system are connected to it, including the South Bridge. With the socket 775 design, there still is a NB feature. Newer socket designs have the memory controller on the CPU die, and no real need for extreme cooling needs of the NB chipset.
If your board has the 'fanless' design, then it is imperative that air flow through the case be optimized. There should be several finned attachments.. for the CPU, NB and 'condenser' plus other features. The medium used in such systems is an alcohol-based liquid, which boils easily to a hot gas and travels to a 'condenser' to return to a cooler liquid state. The orientation of such cooling setups is critical, or overheating can result.
What your board might look like, if original from factory.. https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/P5E/
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:10 am

Maybe there is some tools for the checking psu voltages, temp., fan? Indeed yesterday the pc has instantly shutted down (with the following restart), but it probably relates to the fact that my IIS server is not correct, and I tried to repair it. So it is interesting how to find the reason of such shut downs in administrative/events/System or Software? Indeed after replacement of mb there are no record, despite all new records is in a new item (windows powershell; before it is empty microsoft-windows-forwarding/operational). It could be resulted that I have not changed initial 2002 date, if so. Anyway despite no windows xp reinstall, the second time I normally used OS it provided long blue disk check with a lot of errors (bnp sectors or so ). A lot of services is with errors. VS 2010 need repair, ms sql man. 2008 studio reinstall, cannot launch iis, so maybe whole OS is necessary?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:11 am

Oops...again. Here I tried to use my old win xp cd. I clicked on install additional features (where is IIS) as well. And pc shutted down and restarted. So what it should mean? Any burden, stress load (on hd, cd) lead to shut down? Relatively fortunately my old mb did not showed such behaviour, that in this case should mean very bad stability? But what component should account for it? It should not be psu, definitively it is of mb fault? Should win xp reinstall help? In this case I mention the words of seller that it could shut down every 30 min, that should recall it? After I tried to reload iis from additional components 10 min afterwards it was successful, indeed it features even more instability of system or mb?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:05 am

The only proper way to check PSU voltages is when it is under normal operating load. A digital meter is preferred, so as not to load any circuits. Any black lead at the main ATX power socket is the common. All other leads return to that. Voltages should be within +/- 2%, as acceptable. 1% is ideal. The -12 volt lead could be off by 5% and still be acceptable.
Best time for a voltage check is when the system is in the BIOS mode.
The Windows OS has built-in self-checks for security, to ensure it is on the system where originally installed, not on another system. If major differences in chipsets or other features are found, then the OS would shut down or become useless.
The install disk that was used for the original install must be used, as there are hidden files that verify the disk is part of the group where the COA is encrypted. Another install disk may work, but the COA listings would be different.
First path with a balky OS is to boot to the install disk, choose "repair".
In the BIOS pages, there are control lines to allow the hard drive and monitor to shut down after a certain time, or to never shut down. Same too for in the OS Control Panel/Power Options.
All process events are recorded in the Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Event Viewer.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:39 am

I have read recently about choosing psu, and it tells that cheap psu could be the reason of voluntary restarts. Indeed for about decades when I have new and second stock psu I have not seen such behaviour, when restart happened due some relatively big load. If you say that to check psu during normal load how to measure if psu wires are occupied. As I said earlier the VS, MS SQL server should be repaired as IIS should it be the reason of incompability of previous mb (drivers) and new mb? And simple OS reinstall could resolve it? If this voluntary restart could be the reason of real deficiency of mb, wher to seek it? In capacitors for example? I also have seen some strictly inclined ones (under 60-70¤ angle). There is also such issue. I checked my hd by hd tune and it founds 2 bad sectors, when another type of check by hd tune throw permanevly error at the very start. Returning to the attemp to start IIS server it throws the error with the text about "incorrect data" that also shows some damage of disk.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:44 am

All PSU leads to the motherboard carry a 'nominal' current at the rated voltage. Current levels may change a bit, due to variable data rate processing or video frame rates. Other devices, such as hard drives or other storage drives, are powered from separate PSU leads so as to not create excessive ripples or fluctuation in the main ATX power feed.
Hard drives depend on specific speed of the platters and the variable head travel to properly read or write to the platters. If the platters are not at specified speed, data may be written in the wrong sectors, causing file corruption. Power to a hard drive must be at specified ratings.
The warranty on a hard drive indicates how many hours of operation is expected, before any failures. Could be two years, or up to 10 years. From 10,000 hours to 50,000 hours of operation. Once "bad" sectors start to appear, that is a warning the end of the drive's life is near. The most critical area of "bad" sectors is in the Master Boot Record and File Table areas. Can render the drive useless.
The heads of a hard drive rest (park) on the platters nearest the spindle, when stopped. The heads need a tiny space of air under them, as they "fly" over the platters.. or rapid wear happens. The air space is only a few microns! When the platters spin up, the friction of the parked heads on the platters is minimal, and full speed is attained quickly, so that thin air space is created.
There are diagnostic programs for hard drives, which may be able to mask (hide) some bad sectors, and extend useful life.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations