Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby evasive » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:51 pm

If it stops and keeps showing that behaviour it is not completely fried, most likely the overheating protection in the CPU kicks in. I wonder why it is not possible to properly attach the heatsink/fan to the CPU, even if the frame for holding it is broken, you can recycle that from one of your other completely fried/burnt boards, right?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 am

The cpu after shut down is cold. So maybe the issue is not in fan? In the previous case/mobo the shut down was also taken place despite then 3 beeps noted not connected videooutput (d-sub to display) and shut down. But in previous case I was not able to switch off the pc by power button, it self-started just by inserting power cord, and shutted down for 15-20s. So if cpu would be seriously damaged or damaged in the whole it would not to start in general? Indeed it is cold after stop there were heared some small whistle just in the last 2-3 before shut down. There is some big grey box with label "Asus fanless design -zero noise -no moving parts" (was full of thick dust I already cleared) between fan and keyboard/mouse outlet - what is its role - it is absent in SE version. New board is without fan so I use old one. Anyway the issue is in the legs of fan fasteners.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:19 pm

The situation is now more clear. I passed to check my psu and after it I reset my mb. At first the system was not shutted down without vcard about 1 m. Then I connected the vcard and I was able to get to BIOS. It really showed extremely big cpu temperature -100 to 110 ¤C. So it probably shows the reason of recent shutting down, meanwhile when in last 4 times also shutted down once about 1 minute after. Indeed I have almost cleared the tiniest film of thermopast and attached more firmly the cooler. So I cannot know what could be improved for getting out of overheating of cpu. New thermopast? Should such big temperature show the some constant damage or deficiency of processor? I also saw in bios that no IDE detected despite connected HD IDE. What it should mean? Meanwhile among booting devices I have seen just floppy disk (i have not connected for now) and disabled? Is it correct? I thought earlier that among this list should be hd (connected), cd(not connected), but not just floppy (not connected)? When I put black ribbon end instead grew one - the hd is not further detected. This hd had soldered out tvs diode - should it be the reason: f.e. insufficient voltage, new tvs brockage? After burning tvs hd was also not detected?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:30 pm

There is also strange behaviour: i can to power off the system in a moment, when earlier I needed to press about 6 seconds this button. The small reset/restart button also works for shutting down but not for restart of pc...?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:45 pm

cpu temperature- 100 to 110 °C

Maximum upper limit of almost every CPU is around 80°C for shut-down, before permanent damage happens.
There must be a thin film of heat sink compound or special pad between the heat sink and CPU cover. Too much is as bad as none at all. No matter how perfectly a surface is machined, there are tiny pits and ridges left. Heat sink compound is the only way to make optimum contact. If a pad type material was original, that is what must be used. Paste or compound is not the same thickness. Heat sink pads may have a bit of plastic covering them, to prevent unwanted contact. Ensure that is removed!
Old thermal paste or pads should be completely removed, using rubbing alcohol or Naptha cleaning fluid.
The heat sink (cooler) must be properly secured to the mount, so optimal contact is made.. or thermal transfer is poor.
With the LGA775 socket, there should be a plate for the bottom of the motherboard, with threaded posts for the heat sink mount screws to mate with through holes in the board. And there should be a type of pressure spring on each screw, to ensure proper pressure. Just good and snug, not overly tight. The heat sink should be tight enough that a lot of pressure is needed to lift or twist it even a tiny bit.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:08 pm

Should it mean that my cpu would not work more anyway? Is it already permanently damaged and irrecoverable? Yesterday one of 4 starts it shutted down when temperatures was higher than 100 and I tried/got to bios. There were about 5-6 shuts down before for this mobo, and about 3-4 just about week ago with another mb, when I was not able even power off by button. Then - why my hd is not detected during start of pc and in bios settings? After replacement of tvs it was visible on another pc (as second one, and during already booted PC).
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:28 am

My local master neglettibly says that thermopast would not help. But I think that in the recent time I have pressed enough despite 1 or 2 fasteners are not attached quite properly. So naive question: if he would put the thermopast for the very cpu can I go several hundreds meters on frosty air and put in my socket despite there is almost invisible layer/film of t.p. on cpu and as well on heatsink? Or the reason is not in thermopast - its presence would not lower the temp. to optimum of 50-60 ¤C? I also tried to change IDE configuration in bios. It really was set for SATA in Advanced Configuration Options On - I have changed for PATA+SATA. But again -- Ide not defined..., insert boot device... I also wonder could such pc starts with overheated to damage my mb, if so, what part?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:33 am

The only way to test a CPU that is suspect of heat damage is by mounting in another known-good system, with the proper heat sink and thermal paste or pad. And properly secured. There is no way the waste heat of a CPU can be dissipated into frigid air effectively, without some form of heat sink. Then a diagnostics test program is run, checking that each sector of the CPU and functions are as meant to be. There is memory built into the CPU die, for operation instructions.. known as cache memory. Some runs at the same speed as the CPU core, some runs slower. Any internal damage to the CPU renders it as scrap.
Some experiments have been done with super-cold liquefied gasses, but the effect is too drastic and can damage components unless specially made for that environment.
For storage drive connections, there is a page in the BIOS as to activation of the controllers. If a PATA or IDE drive is used, that has to be active. Both PATA and SATA storage drives will work nicely in a system if configured properly.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:35 am

After 3rd reconnection of mb to hd etc, pc started to detect IDE hd, dvd-drive. Indeed hd led inserted in mb panel do not light up the red when mb access to hd and OS? Should it be the result of replacement of tvs, not correctly renewed input 12 v supply? Meanwhile fine news - Win XP is booted without reinstall ( that is p5p800 se transition to p5p800 does not demant it).
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:53 am

What about cpu overheat: could the reason to be in absence of thermopast and probably one bad fastener if just about 5s after start the temperature is 87 ¤C? Then it raises up to 100¤C and higher. I have read today that absence of thermopast could lead to 30-40% increase. So if at start it should be about 30, then it impacts to the level of 45. But it almost instantenously height up to 85. Previously cpu shutted down in 10s, after attaching firmly and taking out the rest of t.past the time increased to 1m. So it seems that attachment of heatsink increased substantially so do the 1 fastener replacement could solve it? Anyway what software for cpu integrity it was supposed to check and what soft tools I can choose to check mb if it could shuts down every 30 m. as seller told earlier to that mb?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations