Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:47 am

A special tool is needed to remove a BIOS chipset from its socket, lest the side contacts be damaged.
Normally, the BIOS and CMOS features are isolated from the main system after the hand-over (bootstrap) from the POST regimen to the OS control. But still there can be damage if voltage surges hit the motherboard.
The integrated circuit chips have a complex weave of vapor-deposited traces, capacitors and transistors. Insulation between them is intended for only a bit above the working voltage. Much higher, and instant fatal results to the chipset. External data circuits may have higher voltages, and if a coupling capacitor goes bad, can induce fatal voltages. Coupling capacitors are intended to isolate different circuit voltages, yet pass the data pulses readily.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 am

Unfortunately the bios flashing did not helped (meanwhile the version of appropriate winbond firmware appeared of 2007 version, not 2005 as original one). Indeed another hd recovery master told to bring to check - although I doubt he could find something new that overlooked previous one - f.i. role of north/south bridge - the master probably check electric supply for them in the first time, besides he told he can not check if the reason of non bootable and non-post mb is in chipset. So I wonder what role of north bridge in appearing of mb post? There are such resources that show inclusive list of must-have to repair the mb: f.i. facebook permalink from ananttag training institute ( search in google:How repair computer motherboard motherboard not boot facebook), edaboard, or asus websites - are they universal and compehensive?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:04 am

I found stock mb option for p5p800 that is different just in absence of pentium d support. But as I saw layout is enough different. If try to include it to my configuration before final decision: should I settle bios setting after normal post and before os start? If OS would not start (it seems worked with win7 hd - my hd is with win xp) should it forcefully to reinstall xp from installation cd? What features and drivers probably need to be changed in situation when mb are almost identical?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:00 am

As to not booting to a hard drive, three main causes:
1) The jumper setting for master/slave on the drive, and the cable headers, incorrect match. This is for PATA or IDE drive types. For SATA drive types, the motherboard header determines propriety of drive status.
2) The MBR (master boot record) is corrupt from a virus or other causes.
3) The BIOS date of inception does not fully recognize the total cylinder capacity of the hard drive, which may be overcome by forming a primary partition within the BIOS limits.
There are many POST system checks prior to operation, and if there is a conflict of devices or missing features, then the POST halts the powering up process. The BIOS pages must reflect exactly how the system is put together. Duplicate features require a different IRQ/DMA to avoid conflict.
With older motherboards, there may be a difference in how the BIOS recognizes the format status of a hard drive.. and cannot access it. Not as probable with newest BIOS versions.
Not advisable to fit a CPU to a motherboard that is not compatible. Could do serious damage, or just not respond.
The driver disk that came with a motherboard will be somewhat 'universal' in having similar driver sets for different board versions and OS types. When the OS is installed, it queries each device and feature, and applies the proper driver version.
Piracy of software is a major problem, and the OS has check features to ensure the system is the same as when originally set up, or may go belly up (self-destruct).
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:59 pm

1. I asked how to get know if my fully silent mb without post and boot is resulted to destroyed chipset? What voltage and similar parameters are checked during mb repair and what kind they should to be? 2. Except anti-piracy check what my windows xp on hdd would try to check or change when booting from similar 1st edition of p5p800? I think hardware nuances should be connected with new mb - old hd, old vcard (maybe also toasted as it was visually burned something even far earlier), old proc, old memory, the same chipset, but new bios on new mb. Should I reconfigure bios for new type of OS, new proc, memory, vcard, hd? 3. If I would be unable to start OS but boot mb and bios - what signs of defected new stock mb could be?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:57 am

Here I asked about that links and instructions: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php? ... 8237057891
Almost the same but extended -- http://docshare01.docshare.tips/files/2 ... 853897.pdf
Indeed I wonder is this recomendations for PC or laptor mb repair -- and how it reach this model and non-booting and no-post issue?
Whether such one:https://www.academia.edu/27631964/Asus_mainboard_Advanced_Maintenance_Methods
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:46 pm

One must be very careful about testing chipset leads on motherboards. Some are very close together, and if bridged, can cause permanent damage. Only a multimeter of high resistance (1 megohm or higher) should be used.
One critical lead from the PSU is the "PG" or 'power good' signal. It presents a +5 volt signal to the main system clock and oscillator circuits, when the PSU load has stabilized. If only about .3 volt lower, the board circuits will not activate. Somewhere on the motherboard, or in the PSU, is a circuit fault.
Those Web links may have 'general' practices noted, but may not apply to all brands or models. Proceed at own risk.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:11 pm

It seems it was found the reason of my mb crash. One master simply touched the south bridge, then took the radiator off north bridge (ich5), and the last appeared very heat up. So the reason is in chipset - trivial but very destructive issue. So as I was said I can throw off the mb. Why not earlier to check the heating of north bridge? Due to radiator. Indeed some transistors was burned visually but showed correct values so they were not replaced, despite the supply to cpu regeneration led to replacement of several components. There is such issue in repair - that it took just multimeter but not osciliator probably.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:25 am

Some strange situation happened when I tried to repeat last master trick - when I connected my mb to psu, to the processor and system unit fan and to the front panel reset/on/off button. When I power on my pc with open north bridge without radiator with the intent to check if it really hugely heated up - I have seen in the area of mb green led - that some tiny component (near the very capacitor in proximity to usb78 internal connector) was visually burned with tiny fire so I quickly powered off the pc. What could be the reason of it? Could it be the result of north chipset without radiator as the burning happened near the usb internal? Does it mean that some overvoltage happened again and could damaged the cpu, connected externat vcard? I have connected to mb panel just reset and power connectors without hd_led connector as hd was not connected fortunately? Could the reason of it to be incorrect connection of psu red-2black-yellow wire connector against green-white double wired front panel power connector? Despite earlier the last moment did not influenced the work of system.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:28 am

The front panel LED lights are polarity sensitive, will work only if connected properly.. but cause no damage if connected wrong.
Front panel switch connections have no polarity concerns. But if more than one switch has a 'common' lead, damage can be done.
If some component did erupt in smoke, it is permanently damaged. Motherboard header connections are keyed or have tabs to assure proper connecting, but not all.
USB ports can provide only about 1/2 amp or 500 mA power each.. more than that, and possible fatal damage to circuits or components.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations