Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby azus » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:08 am

I do not want any partititon. As the maximum just reinstall Windows XP. And save already present D and E disks. If to be more precise - could asus p5p800- mx/wm with ata-100 normally works with sp0812en ata-133?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:47 am

Here I found that ata-100 and ata-133 are compatible but at other forum I found it needs some hd configuration on hd-ataspeedA to work with mb-ataspeedB. So I wonder what it could be? Should I preconfigure that hd on another pc? Then just to attach to new mb? I also read about necessity of original mb ata cable not hd one - that I have for instance. But if I would buy stock mb it would improbably to be with original cable - or I should have just cable with any mb ATA100 speed?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:35 pm

Depending on brand of hard drive, there could be a jumper to degrade performance, to properly communicate with older ATA standards. But give a try first, before any modifications. May just be good to go.
As to partitioning and formatting a hard drive on another system then put into a designated system, not recommended.
Older BIOS versions did have differences, and compatibility may be a problem. Less of an issue with most recent BIOS versions.
As to the data ribbons used, the older 40-wire ribbon is best for the ATA 66 and earlier standards. For late ATA 100 and newer, the 80-wire ribbon should be used. The earliest ATA 100 controllers may not work properly with the 80-wire data ribbon. If the controller has the "Ultra ATA" or "U-ATA" designation, then use the 80-wire ribbon.
https://www.pctechguide.com/hard-disks/ ... seek-times
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:48 pm

Here I have such option. To buy nonworking mb, model I need, but I wonder if it possible to revitalize it. This mb is said has 3 or 4 legs bent (I do not know is it pins or something else that is visible inside 775 socket also with 4 small rectangulars). As well the operative memory is not recognized suddenly by this mb. So could I try unbend legs after buying, could it be related to nonworking of DDR1?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

Any problems with the CPU socket connections, pass on it. Special tools and techniques are needed to replace/repair socket.
If problems with not recognizing memory, then could be related to damaged contacts.. the memory controller is on the CPU die!
Memory slots are designed to accept only one type of module. Forcing another type into the slot can permanently damage it.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:06 pm

As far as I understood, in lga775, just cpu could be damaged not socket one that is part of mb? Indeed I have seen central rectangular void part of socket on mb and I do not know what 4 small rectangular parts is on the bottom of it (despite they are concentrated near one corner of this void central area). Maybe they are bent? - As it was written by mb seller.2. I do know that we can unbent pins on cpu by pencil, niddle or so. But I do not know about appropriate tools and the relevance of repairing such deficiency for longterm work of mb. Indeed it would be fine if "unbending" would resolve memory issue. Probably I need to ask the person what "legs" he meant, why they were bent, and what impacted on nonrecognizing of memory by mb?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:15 pm

The socket 775 LGA has 775 tiny contacts and springs in its base. Each contact has to have equal pressure, to properly contact each pad of the CPU assembly. Not possible without a special test jig to ensure all contacts are of equal pressure!
If you want to peruse the technical specs of its design, here is a link..
www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/302666.pdf
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:41 am

The seller told about 4 bent legs so situation could be different and more difficult. But is it possible to align it or it is not practically possible? He also wrote that problems began after upgrade to 2core cpu. Then began blue screens. The issues with memory. Then he changed for sata hd. As well as new psu after voltage fluctuation in power network. That lead to blue and black screens. The lost of bios that was recovered after taking out of cmos battery. Then happened that he began to test memory and it appeared not accessed. In the end he noted bent socket. So I am interested - is it possible from description to try to use such mb or the issues is exactly to bad mb, not memory module, etc? If I would try to use another type of mb - can I use repair option during installation but not full installation as written here - https://www.raymond.cc/blog/move-window ... -of-death/
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:35 pm

Given note of the problems with that motherboard, I would pass on it.. especially about problems after a power surge or fluctuation.
Motherboard versions may accept only certain types of CPU class, other CPU types should not do damage, but not be recognized by the chipset version.
The info in the link you note may be truthful in part, but Windows has an anti-piracy process that checks feature status of the original setup against what is found on each start up. If major differences, then the OS will not load properly or at all. A full reinstall may be the only solution.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:23 pm

I will try reprogram my bios chip eventually. Indeed its Winbond w3 vc040fap in lcpp socket is located at the other edge of mb near the floppy slot, far from cpu and even cmos battery (I also reset jumpers and pulled out cmos battery without results). Meanwhile on one forum about fried bios chip is suggestion that before its toast the first should be fried chipset so I would like to know why master did not checked functionality of bridges, how it could be done this time? Indeed this bios chip should be rather easy deattached from socket, and mobo, so it could be even avoid reprogramming just by placing another bios with analogous parameters? Meanwhile it is really hardly to bilieve that overvoltage just destroyed most distant component.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations