Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby azus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:26 am

Despite tvs is not probably directed against data overvoltage it would be interesting its level. If so - i would connect the mb of previous edition. It should start OS reinstall. So hd should begin work at its full potential without tvs diod, or some not probably fine replacement. Could it cause some overvoltage issue on undefended hd? What drivers I should need?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:12 pm

Voltage level of data bus pulses is rarely more than +5 volts, maybe only +3.3 volts, or as low as +1.25 volts. Depends on type of chipset and function.
Years ago, there were differences in BIOS structure, and if a hard drive were formatted and loaded on one system, it may not work on another. That issue is almost non-existent today.
If a hard drive is configured and formatted in one system, then an OS loaded, it must stay with that system. Good chance the OS will go belly-up on another system, due to finding different chipsets and features.
Drivers for all features are included with a motherboard purchase.. or can be gotten on-line from the manufacturer. They must be specific to that motherboard model and version.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:31 pm

It would be fine to know how to check if VRM is damaged by multimeter. What some universal characteristics it should has?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I have some option to buy stock mb that is similar to my original one. They are P5P800-MX and P5P800-VM. Indeed they have different north chipsets - 865gv and 865g, they support Pentiun 4 511, DDR 400, and P-ATA 100. The last IDE is not clear for me: SE version support ATA-133, so I do not know if my samsung hd that supports 133, could it work with 100? There is also issue in the absence of agp port in p5p800-mx just 8 mb built in graphic card that is far less than my current external 128 mb. Should it show very bad perfomance for video? P5P800-VM support agp port but I am not sure if it would support my current 128 mb gforce maybe just 256 mb and higher? It also support Intel Extreme Graphics -should it keep as onboard and external graphic card option? And after exploring these mbs I understood that type of chipset does not play so big role for processor and memory. Just it needs to check processor supported list and the same memory type support.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:13 pm

Testing sensitive circuits should only be done with a multi-meter having no less than 1 megohm resistance (loading), preferred is over 5 megohms.
Those 865g and 865gv chipset types may be nearly identical, but could be a lot different. May only be a revision to improve performance and reliability.
The IDE controller feature is backward compatible, and can accept earlier standards with few or no problems. But older IDE controller types are not 'forward' compatible. Some IDE drives may have a jumper to degrade performance for older systems.
The AGP video slot is intended for certain models, and usually has a "key" to prevent use of non-compatible types. But there are other AGP slot designs that can accept most card types. Only problem with any AGP card slot is the power it can deliver to the card. Most slots can easily accommodate up to a 512 MB video card, but if any video card has a power socket on its inner edge, that needs to be fed from a PSU lead set.
On-board video of older systems can never match that of a true video card, as the CPU has to do double duty in data rendering, then also render video signals. And when on-board video is employed, a part of the upper end of main memory is dedicated to video needs. Not advisable to go beyond 25% of total system memory for video needs, as this can cause the OS to be lacking in program memory needs.
Some systems automatically disable the on-board video when a device card is added. But there may be a BIOS control to disable it, or a manual jumper. The motherboard manual details this.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:02 pm

So what characteristics VRM it should be? If my IDE hd support 133 ata mb should it support 100 ata mb(you meant backward compatility of mb or hd ata version?)? Gv/g chipsets is some downgrade of PE. If you state such unpredictability for new mb and current pc components does it means that it could be to such level that new stock mb could not launch in the practice or it needs more explore of mb and chipset features? I meant that it should not be so inclusive in details of chipset as processor and memory type should be enought?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:40 am

Just here one main question: if my hd samsung p80 series support ATA-133 mb could it support ATA-100 mb. You meant MB backward ATA compability, or HD ata backward compability?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:00 am

The issue here is that a newer standard must be backward compatible to older standards of devices, as regards the controller or chipset type. The older model chipsets or controllers may not accept or communicate properly with newer device standards. If the controller is 'standard' listed as ATA 100, it may not communicate with an ATA 133 properly, but there should be no problem with older device standards. Newer devices may or may not be compatible to older controllers. The device specifications would note if so compatible to older standards.
The IEEE SE committee sets these rules for all to follow.
https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/sta ... ology.html
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:12 pm

Thus - should I buy such ata100 mainboard for my samsung ata133? Or it is question of maybe and maybenot?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:16 pm

Older models in new condition are becoming scarce, only the newer standards are used. Do a check on the specs of different brands of hard drives, look for compatibility to older standards.
With older BIOS versions, there is a cylinder limit on hard drive capacity for 100% access. But forming a primary partition within the limits should allow at least 90% or greater use of the full capacity. Simply put, if the BIOS limit is 32 GB maximum partition size, then create a 25 to 30 GB primary partition, then an extended partition for the remainder of the drive space, and partition as needed. This way, a 150 GB+ drive could be utilized with desired results. This practice has been done for decades.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations