Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 01, 2017 6:14 am

The OS install will by default choose the "C" or primary drive. But the setup or install menu gives choices as to where the install should go. Read the options and choose according to needs. Drive path "C" or "D" or else) can be chosen. The drive must first be partitioned, then quick or normal formatted and then the OS install .
Only the primary drive will have a master boot record, or MBR, which details the drive media and format type. If a secondary drive is required to have an MBR, then it must be set as primary and partitioned/formatted as such. This will not affect its use as a secondary or slave drive.
Also by default when installing an OS, if any previous system files are found, the install will abort or ask for confirmation to delete previous files.
As to auto searching for features on system, a newer OS would likely find system driver files on the existing drive, and may not ask for a system driver disk.
With an OS version that is newer than the inception (BIOS) date of a motherboard, likely the OS will have compatible feature drivers for it, in its install library. But if the motherboard is newer than the OS creation date, then the driver disk would be required. Still best to use the provided driver disk that came with the motherboard. Newer or updated drivers can be gotten later.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 am

Here I connected new stock ide hd as a slave of primary ide. It has two partition and probably win xp too installed as system files have 5.1 version. Then I tried to boot from this new drive. My AMI bios have just option to choose just one bootable hd of the same ide socket. So I need to change slave hd as first hd only then it appear in booting list - so it seems impossible to have concurrently master and slave hd there (and probaly it is impossible to use hot key during initial boot - such as f10 - to avoid entering to bios). Indee I got blue screen with 00..7B error code. No change from sata to pata/pata+sata help to avoid this error. Should it incompability with new hardware of win xp? I tried to repair from win xp cd. But, after initial booting, it throws error 0..008e. Maybe it is due the some bad old files on cd? Then I tried F6 for driver - if it could help - then once it allow to installation recovery menu. But when used it requested to enter some folder in dos format or continue after choosing the second it ended and then booted with initial bsod.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Mon May 01, 2017 9:39 am

Should I choose another winxp installation cd, try new winxp installation or use F2 ASR?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 am

Indeed I got to installation recovery. I used fixmbr and fixboot but after exit of recovery and booting - again 0...07B bsod error.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Mon May 01, 2017 10:32 am

if using 2 disks on one IDE cable you need to make sure that they are set to autodetect or actually as one master, one slave device. How this is done depends on the make and model of the harddisk.

As for the BSOD more than likely the windows installation was done on a system with a different harddisk controller and windows cannot handle that no matter how much fixing you do. There is 3rd party software that seems to be able to do so but that is too expensive here I think.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Mon May 01, 2017 12:17 pm

Why different disk controller if the sp0822n is the same with windows os on it - could it be some antipiracy feature that invoke very undefined second bsod 0..0e? Should you meant the disk controller driver on the part of original mb, that I am not aware? Anyway the the first bsod 0..07b really tells about hardware issues when just trying to boot it without any recovery or installation. Could ASRecovery help indeed as I found it recover some extreme hardware issue. Then what option for me: to launch new installation over existing one, if cd is not with critically broken files? I got first bsod 07b when two disk were strictly master-slave then got the same when just new one disk was connected to primary ide cable once as master then as slave, and recovered installation just as primary slave one without primary master connected - should I need recover it in primary master role if there is difference in creation of mbr?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Tue May 02, 2017 6:31 am

I tried to install microxp (minimal Windows xp version) and it seems to prooved that the previous issue was due to bad installation cd. Indeed when I used 2 installation option to put new installation in the same partition - on new folder Windows1 (expected to be created automatically) instead present Windows and then by choosin L - deleting present installation files and folders I got in both cases some bsod that was replaced instantly by black screen so I was unable to see bsod error. It was happened seems to be after successful installation of this micro os, and this bsod momentarily happened when micro xp almost booted and the windows or standart screen appeared for a second as well before next short bsod. Should I create new partition or delete from the first disk the files from that installation effective hd?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Thu May 04, 2017 1:17 am

I eventually installed win xp on second hd C partition (I do understand I can install win7 on D partition as well). Indeed I cannot switch to second hd during computer booting as no F9, F10, F11 do not help. Ami bios 7.03 probaly have no such switching hot key? Or whether should I install os on second hd when first one connected - that I did not do as have some expectation of first hd failure or damage in that case. I also should note that second hd sp0822n have just about 8k of "working hours" when my first one about several millions. And "new" has enough even off limit temperature -> 45-50 ¤, the higher than my old one 42¤, with some bad sectors, for instance.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 04, 2017 5:46 am

A hard drive will be recognized in the BIOS ID process, whether formatted or not, files or not. But for a drive to be recognized from an OS search, it must be formatted. Do so easily from the Administrator Tools/Disk Management. Or from the OS install disk.
If a second hard drive has been formatted and is bootable, then the BIOS may present a choice menu as to boot path (depends on BIOS date). But if one drive with two OS versions, the choice would only be if a manual "boot batch file" were created. The install of a second OS would create such a boot choice menu automatically.
A hard drive, like any other mechanical feature, will dissipate waste hear during operation. Air flow over the device is critical to normal operation and long life.
With higher spindle speeds, more waste heat can be created than with slower spindle speeds.
I still strongly recommend replacement of a hard drive, when it starts to develop bad sectors! Older hard drives had a film of magnetic particles on the aluminum disks. Excess heat could cause distortion of the disks, resulting in "blistering" or loosening of the magnetic coating, then bad sectors. Once started, that problem can spread quickly.
Newer hard drives use a glass substrate type of disk, less prone to heat distortion, and longer reliable performance.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 am

My current hd having 2 offline uncorrectable, probably due to burned tvs, has normal temperature even if I use it - about 40-42¤. It has also about 3.5 mln hour counts. Indeed new HD has just 8 thousands of hour counts but its temperature is 46-48 ¤ even I use it as secondary one. It is bought on stock market, it does not have bad blocks (I use HD Tune to check) but temperature is far higher. I tried to correct 2 bad blocks on my old disk about 2 month ago. HD Regenerator formally corrected it, they both is also not visible in HD tune. But I also tried to correct it after it by seagate recovery tool. It was in dos mode. But then it messaged I need to use native tools for my samsung hd. Then I also used another old dos hd recovery tool but as it take enough time and seems to be hanged I intermitted it. Then my hd was not initialized on first post-dos boot but then it booted. Indeed HD tune now shows permanently 200 calibration retry counts that was the result of dos recovery attempts. But its number did not changed after it.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations