Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Replacement for Asus P5p800 se

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:54 pm

While the BIOS and CMOS circuits are on a separate low voltage feed, still a possibility the chips could be damaged. Only way to know is to do a diagnostics check by a certified repair shop (brand provider approved). Could be a bit costly.
Any CPU type needs its specific socket type, and the BIOS version that recognizes it. Some older BIOS versions before the CPU model was available may not accept it, and no life signs.
Since the Socket 370 version, there are many extra pins on the CPU that are 'switches' of a sort, to properly set its voltages, base bus frequency and multiplier, for final CPU speed.
Would recommend that the i865 chipset version or newer be on the test board.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:13 am

I have one more specific question. I have found mb (p5p800) to buy at very distant place. There are even 2 sets with "my" mb. But one of them, as it is written in selling summary, has no cmos battery (it cost about 1 $ ) and no motherboard ports back panel (shield). The last one, as I correctly understood and translated, is some metal (masking) plate where all output ports are attached. I think that all ports are at place. I just wonder if it is appropriate to use such mb, and what ever reason could to be that it is without such plate? Should it hide another deficiencies, when this plate was "teared out" probably?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 am

Not having a BIOS battery with a motherboard is a minor issue. As long as the board is warranted to be working good.
If no I/O port plate, ensure the board model is exactly the same as the one being replaced, ports in exactly the same place. Different versions may not be the same layout.
Best way to compare both old and new port layouts is taking a photo of each, use one photo as a 'layover' image to check if exactly the same.
There are different brands of motherboard that can use the same I/O port plate. Or, the other case had a stamped set of holes and outline for a specific board model, not usable if removed. Budget computer models sometimes are sold that way. Remove the default port plate section, then a proper port plate can be snapped in place.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:30 am

I just wonder why this plate was removed. As I was said it also defend against dust despite it is not main rationale probably. My proc Pentium 511 is working at least pc os with it was launched during check. As the result mb burned and tvs- so I want to know could it be defecting of north or south bridge due to overvoltage or the issue is just VRM. If supply was regained after changing transistors what other reasons can be in the circuit? Just the interest as to repair is not financially resonable except probably reflashing bios. Despite for the reasons of experience it would be resonable to do the last but it costs as much as the same mb with minor defects or 30-40% workable one.
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:28 pm

Older motherboards were less complicated, had fewer on-board features. Device cards were needed for video, I/O ports and storage drive control. Plus audio and LAN/Modems.
Modern motherboards since the early 1990s had more integrated features, needed fewer add-in device cards. Now almost every feature is available on many motherboard models. Just add memory and CPU.
The North Bridge on most motherboards is the main routing point for many features, including memory access and control of add-in device cards. The latest designs incorporate memory control into part of the CPU die.
There are several frequencies in use on a motherboard. Base main frequency, could be 100 MHz to 200 MHz. Newest designs may have a 1 GHz or higher IC chip called a PLL, or Phase-Lock Loop chip, which is the main frequency oscillator. Very few systems still use a crystal oscillator. Then each add-in device type slot has its own frequency, could be 33 MHz or 66 MHz. All must be in a harmonic interactive phase.
Memory will have its own operating frequency, and the CPU will have a final frequency that is multiple of the base system frequency.
Most IC chips operate at 3.3 volts or 5 volts. A higher voltage can cause them to fail. The CPU depends on regulators to provide proper voltages, from 1.2 volts to 3.3 volts or 5 volts.
A PSU regulates the +3.3 volts, +5 volts and +12 volts supplies. If its regulators fail, higher voltage can cause a total motherboard failure. If a suspect motherboard does not respond properly to a known-good PSU/CPU and memory, chances are it is not worth repairing. Time to replace.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:14 am

So if I would install non-SE version of mb what I should do during launching OS. Just reinstall OS or I need to change bios settings? If RG-45 does not works could it influence on another ports and components of mb? Should it be possible to recover LAN-port -- http://lnx2mac.blogspot.com/2011/03/rev ... ports.html -- is it options possible? Anyway could I use internet connection by additional net-card as buyer tells despite defect LAN? And one again to my old mb: could its state resulted due bad north or south bridge? How to check if chipsets do not works?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby azus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:10 am

And there is such moment: my 128 megabytes gforce videocard is enough burned on its surface. It was the same way even 5 years ago. What electric supply it depend on? During last years there were momens when tube monitor display got too pixelized during evident overheat or when 3.3 v went to 2.5 v and got black afterwards and with self-pc reload sometimes. Could it provoke destroy of "new" mb?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:13 am

The proper driver for each feature type is required, for proper operation and reliability. The exact same model of a motherboard may have a different 'revision' number, which indicates possible different chipset types. So then the specific driver set for that model.
If using an add-in device or feature card that duplicates what is on-board, then the on-board feature should be disabled to avoid conflicts with IRQ/DMA assignments.
The device card slots have several voltages present, for different device needs. Whether the antiquated ISA class slot, the still used PCI slot or newer PCI-E slot, all provide needed voltage sources.. +3.3 volts, +5 volts, +12 volts, -12 volts plus other specific voltage sources. Normally all those sources are at the rear or mount point of the slot, not at the 'free' or front. Those short device card slots may only have data bus contacts.. no power contacts.
For some device cards, there is not enough current provided via the slot contacts.. so there will be an auxiliary power socket on the card.. fed from the PSU. Video cards up to maybe 512 MB may not have the extra power needs, but some will. And higher-performance video cards always will need extra power directly from the PSU.
If your video goes into a kaleidoscope of colors or a 'tiling' effect, it is damaged beyond use. The GPU or nearby memory chips have overheated or got zapped by higher than intended voltages.
What some people post as a true solution to problems may have worked for them.. but may not for everyone.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby azus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:33 pm

There we no colours caleidoscope or tiling - just pixelized (enlargened and bleak view) display indeed it was as far as half of year before mb and psu collapse. I ask just to know if not very fine vcard (agp, without no electr. supply) would provoke some miscurrents in new mb that have additional pci-slot and is First Edition. What drivers I need to install again, are they available in internet and how to install them? There are also such issue that my HD was also out of work but just 12v tvs burned. So despite hd is ready to work but without proper replacement of tvs - any overvoltage from new mb could lead to hd full destroy. What level of voltage do data cable from mb to hd have?
azus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:54 pm

AGP video cards are a dying breed, but still some available on sites like eBay or others. Ensure it is warranted working! A 512 MB should do well for most video needs. There are five types of AGP slot, so match the card to the slot.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/agp-bus-tutorial/3/
Since Win 98, the OS will query the video card as to its performance, and set optimal video output. But could be in error, if the monitor is not capable of the refresh rate! So manually set refresh rate and aspect, and color range, to suit the monitor.
There are specific model drivers for most devices, but with video cards, perhaps a "do-all" driver may work. Check with the parent (chipset manufacturer). Best to uninstall old driver first, then install new driver.
For hard drives, they require +5 volts and +12 volts, from the PSU. The data ribbons do not provide a true current, only data voltage pulses for control. Assignment of 'master' or 'slave' drive category is important. Some drive brands are not fully compatible with other brands. The drive's label has a diagram of how to set the assignment.
For older 40-wire ribbons, not critical where the 'master' or 'slave' was connected. But with 80-wire ribbons, the master/slave positions are dedicated to specific headers.
Not a good plan to have a hard drive and optical drive on same data cable. Optical drives have a slower transfer rate, and can degrade hard drive performance.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations