recommendation for a new setup

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

recommendation for a new setup

Postby kms108 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:55 am

I plan to set up a new PC, I still can't think of what to get between these motherboard.

Gigiabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Asrock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming-ITX/ac
Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Z170

I prefer the gigabyte, but it's not available in my country official, but i can get it, but if things go wrong warranty is a problem, Asus is another choice, but I prefer the availablitiy of 6 sata connectors available on both the Asrock and Gigabyte, whiles the Asus only has 4 sata. Asrock is the last choice which is available, but read from peoples comment, it's less reliable and can sometimes all of a sudden just stop working.
Can anyone comment on this.

My set up will comprise of the following.

Ncase M1 ITX case (already purchased)
Samsung 950 pro 512GB M.2 3x4 gen 1.1 SSD (already purchased)
Intel i5 6500
Still considerring what large volume storage to get, from either seagate, HGST or Toshiba all 4TB and in a NAS form quantity 2 pieces, but i'm looking into the Toshiba Enterprise NAS MC04ACA400E 4TB
32GB ram (2x16GB), could be adata XPG, samsung or Gskill
Just a normal Graphic card
Silverstone SX500-LG Version 1.0 500W
I have available a copy of windows 7 and windows 10 all legal copies.

My setup is only used for streaming, downloading and watching movies, although they are all gaming MB, it will not be used for gaming, another question is, if the M.2 4x3 gen is used will this affect the use of the sata connection, I know using M.2 sata form SSD, it means giving up 1 or 2 sata connectors, will this be the same using the samsung 950 pro.
will the silverstone 500W be enough to power the system

Thanks
kms108
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: recommendation for a new setup

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:23 am

What video card are you going to fit. That is important when choosing your power supply wattage. The Silverstone brand is indeed good quality and this model has a very good price/quality ratio.

Storage: HGST. I will not ever touch a Seagate product again. Too many sudden deaths without warning. Toshiba I don't have experience with.

AsRock problems: I see no more than normal returns and some of it is because people were using el-cheapo power supplies or an other component turned out to be the failure. Overall AsRock boards have a decent build quality. Your SSD is single-sided so should fit nicely (there's not much space between the board and the SSD in that connector) some people are using a double-sided 951 and end up with overheating SSD and/orthe temperature controller chip going haywire.

Gigabyte: same as with Seagate, no more Gigabyte for me, too many sudden death boards.

ASUS: do you really need 6 SATA ports?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby aainbc » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:08 pm

Request for advice for a new motherboard
I need help in designing a new build for primarily internet on a monitor & video on a 2nd screen which is a TV . The only thing I'm sure about is the motherboard has to be ATX size. The reason is I'll use my old case that fits into the custom furniture layout that includes my TV set top box & audio receiver. I'm able to hard-wire my internet connection. Another thing that's important is Bluetooth transmission to my headset cause I'm hard of hearing.
I'd like to start with the new Intel Z270 chipset & a 6th or 7th generation Intel cpu. Should I do a graphics card or use what's built into the motherboard? One thing I'd like to think about for the future is virtual reality.
aainbc
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:55 am

I would get something with a seperate video card because even though the on chip graphics have greatly improved, you want to have more connection options that are usually available on a separate video card. As for bluetooth, I think there are motherboards available with onboard bluetooth. Micro-ATX bards will also fit in your ATX casing BTW, they will simply not completely fill it, the holes and layout are the same.

What is your budget?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations