Laptop External Power Source

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop External Power Source

Postby c327 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:28 pm

I am using my laptop as a desktop replacement since I don't have to change its location. What I have done is to remove the battery and plug in the power supply at the laptop when I need to use it. Now my concern is wearing out the laptops power port. Now keep in mind that the battery has been removed for safety reasons (fire etc.) would it be OK to leave the power supply cord plugged into the laptop all the time even when the laptop is not in use?

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop External Power Source

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:53 am

Almost all laptops have three batteries.. the main, the BIOS and 'sleep' battery. The BIOS battery is not rechargeable, but the 'sleep' and main battery are. The 'sleep' battery is only for when the unit is not in active use for a long time, or when the lid is closed, to retain memory loading for near instant restart.
Should do no harm to leave the power connected to the laptop, as there is an internal regulator in the laptop to ensure no over-charge or excess voltage to the unit.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Laptop External Power Source

Postby evasive » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:44 am

Why not use an extension cord with a switch in it in an easy accesible location? Save you from plugging/unplugging the laptop.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations