New Gaming PC with i7, Windows 7, and Oculus

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New Gaming PC with i7, Windows 7, and Oculus

Postby Quake2Rail » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:14 pm

It is that time again,
I am once again going to be building myself a somewhat modern gaming PC. I want to be able to use Oculus Rift with my current build, but I have been doing some reading that states the new generations of i7's will not be supported on Windows 7. I am fine with this. I need to know what i7 would be compatible with Windows 7 for a long time to come. I know i will have to deal directx 12 will not being supported by windows 7 as well. I would like to have decent performance while staying with Windows 7 and being able to game using Oculus and a nVidia GTX 1080.

:lol: :lol: Thanks All :lol: :lol:
Quake2Rail
Initiate
Initiate

Re: New Gaming PC with i7, Windows 7, and Oculus

Postby Mr T » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:41 pm

If you want a modern gaming machine, you have to think the latest operating system, as you are a M$ windows fan , it really has to be windows 10. Windows 7 is rater dated now, bloated with patches and bugfixes. M$ is now going to force the upgrade to windows 10, you won't have a choice (well lawsuit pending) to upgrade by M$ or hardware manufacturers for bleeding edge driver and hardware support. Moved all of my machines that support windows 10 to windows 10 along with the families - no complaints and all work, even HTC Vive runs beautifully on it (with an Nvidia GTX 960 I hasten to add). If you want the latest hardware, you will need the latest software to back it up or prepare to be limited at some point....

P.S. use windows 7 at work, windows 10 at home, but mainly linux for home use, SteamOS, brilliant for gaming!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Quake2Rail » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info Mr. T.
You have been helping me with these choices since 2003, and have always interjecting valuable data. I really did not want to focus on my dislikes of windows 10 in this thread, but I guess I have to express my concern. I am completely okay with having to update my software at a later date. I don't like the spying nature of windows 10, and would like to avoid this OS as long as possible. I would really like to focus on the i7 generation of chips that will not be limited with this 2017 guideline. If this means that I cannot run newer games I am fine with this. SteamOS is a great solution, but optimization and game compatibility is still an issue.

I mainly play Skyrim and Fallout 4. I would love to be able to do this with Oculus Rift. So my question is this what would be a good pre-Skylake i7 processor to base a PC build off of? The problem is I have only built AMD gaming machines, and I am not used to the i7 builds. As far as I can tell by what I have read so far, only the Skylake generation of processors are being limited in this way. If this is incorrect someone please let me know.

Again looking for a good pre-Skylake i7 processor for gaming with Oculus Rift on Windows 7.

:lol: :lol: Thanks all :lol: :lol:
Quake2Rail
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Mr T » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Anything new soon and you will be SOL with windows 7, it just won't be supported.. If you really want an i7, you will need a pre Skylake, ie a Broadwell, which will still do a brilliant job, but limit you for future software. I don't know if AMD will have this issue, but probably will do!
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations