Which Motherboard do I look for

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Which Motherboard do I look for

Postby Twisty » Wed May 11, 2016 5:24 am

I think there is some potentially misleading information here about multithreading. The OS to a certain extent assigns different threads across multi CPU's, but if you are doing a task, e.g. video encoding, word document, web browsing in an app that cannot split that task into multiple threads, then a 4 core cpu is not going to give you any speed/productivity benefit vs an otherwise similar 2 core cpu.

For 3d games without a pci-e card the key thing to consider is the on-cpu graphics performance. Intel HD graphics has made good progress but a cheap i3 cpu + a basic/mid range graphics card would easily outstrip any i7 cpu.

For the office and youtube dvd viewing etc graphics card wouldnt help but also this is not particularly cpu demanding stuff so you might be bale to save some money by going for an i3 or i5 cpu with little difference to your productivity.

Links with some info for illustration.

http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/421/Intel_Core_i3_i3-6320_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-6700.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lionking007 » Tue May 17, 2016 4:46 am

lionking007 wrote:
Karlsweldt wrote:With multi-core processors, the OS controls which core does what duty and sharing of data processing. Each core would appear as a separate "engine" for computational needs. If one core does duty as a video rendering means, then it may be semi-independent of other cores with processing of main data.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... hitecture/
As to "achi", that is actually "AHCI", or Advanced Host Controller Interface. Recommended to be active in most setups.

Definitely, I am going to add SSD & use HDD for data storage. Apart from that what do you think of this config.
I7 6700k, asus z170a, corsair dominator 16gb ram,650w corsair 80 plus gold full modular psu, cooler master 212 evo air cooler, and my little one likes in-win 703 midi case with red fan

right, with the spec almost finalised, Does anyone know if the Corsair Dominator 16gb DDR4 3000mhz RAM has any issues with Asuz z170a Pro Gaming or Z170 A Pro or Gigabyte gaming motherboard Z170z UD5

Many Thanks
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Tue May 17, 2016 10:07 am

We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Recommendations