Which Motherboard do I look for

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Which Motherboard do I look for

Postby lionking007 » Thu May 05, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi
I am planning to build a PC to replace my old one.

The configuration I have in mind is as follows

1. Intel i7 6700k 4 ghz processor.

2. Z170 chipset lga 1151 socket atx motherboard

3. Corsair dominator platinum DDR4 16gb ram or the Ripjaws 16gb Ram?

4. Superflower 450w golden green 80 plus gold or Corsair 450 80 plus Gold power supply

5. In-win 503 midi tower case

6. Dvd drive from the existing machine

7. 1 tb western digital existing black hdd running win 8.1 (will upgrade to free windows 10 pro) after installation in the new pc through Microsoft free upgrade programme.

What do you think? I am now confused between motherboard of ASUS Z170 signature series or Gigabyte Z170x UD5 as I am seeing mixed reviews from users on the various problems they have been facing. I have been reading Asus has a very good Quality Control but seeing motherboards failed or replaced is casting doubts in my mind?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Which Motherboard do I look for

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 06, 2016 3:13 pm

As to the PSU choice, not good. Minimal 800 watts would be recommended! Higher wattage capacity means better regulation and longer life. Go with a good brand, not some unknown.
The CPU has a TDP rating of around 91 watts. Add in what the video system needs, and other system features.. case fans, hard drives, memory.
You don't note what form of video will be used, but likely good quality PCI-E.
For memory, check the provider's QVL pages (qualified vendor list). Same with CPU.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby lionking007 » Sat May 07, 2016 9:51 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:As to the PSU choice, not good. Minimal 800 watts would be recommended! Higher wattage capacity means better regulation and longer life. Go with a good brand, not some unknown.
The CPU has a TDP rating of around 91 watts. Add in what the video system needs, and other system features.. case fans, hard drives, memory.
You don't note what form of video will be used, but likely good quality PCI-E.
For memory, check the provider's QVL pages (qualified vendor list). Same with CPU.

I used the online wattage calculators and it is not comming to more than 350 watts so I thought give or take, i will use 450w?

Both the boards have onboard graphic cards so I will not be using another pci card. I will check qvl pages and hope i get some joy.

Thanks once again for your response. Its very helpful. Thanks once again
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 08, 2016 5:51 am

"Static" or constant load on a power supply is one standard. But power may have short "peak" draw instances that could tax the power supply beyond its limit.
A 450 watt PSU may be acceptable if using on-board graphics. But then if an upgrade is done, a new PSU may be needed. Not that much more in cost of a higher wattage PSU, and would have a more stable reserve. Budget happy!
On-board graphics reserve a portion of the top end of system memory (graphics or video aperture). Going beyond 25% of total system memory can starve the OS of memory needs. On-board graphics may be good for normal needs, but gaming or other intense needs strain the CPU, as it must also render video data. With a dedicated graphics card, that memory portion is available for OS needs, and can be set lower.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby lionking007 » Sun May 08, 2016 7:25 am

Karlsweldt wrote:"Static" or constant load on a power supply is one standard. But power may have short "peak" draw instances that could tax the power supply beyond its limit.
A 450 watt PSU may be acceptable if using on-board graphics. But then if an upgrade is done, a new PSU may be needed. Not that much more in cost of a higher wattage PSU, and would have a more stable reserve. Budget happy!
On-board graphics reserve a portion of the top end of system memory (graphics or video aperture). Going beyond 25% of total system memory can starve the OS of memory needs. On-board graphics may be good for normal needs, but gaming or other intense needs strain the CPU, as it must also render video data. With a dedicated graphics card, that memory portion is available for OS needs, and can be set lower.

Thanks Karlsweldt. I see.... I didn't think of that. building a PC for the first time so making sure I don't mess it up.

I have almost made up my mind to go for Asus Z170A and do you think it is sensible to go for 550w power supply. I am thinking of Corsair PSU.

Also I have been looking at the Corsair RAM. Dominator & Vengeance series. What do you think?

Though I would very rarely play games on pc as it is for my work needs but would like to future proof it hence thinking of the higher configuration
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun May 08, 2016 4:56 pm

I would still go higher with PSU wattage. "Future-proof" is the thought. And of a quality brand.
Both those motherboard models are close in features and quality. Read reviews on both, to choose which.
For any personal build, put it together for what you want it to eventually be and do.
In the case of using 16 GB of memory, bear in mind that the OS version must be 64-bit.
Win XP and Vista are now "orphans". Win 7 32-bit OS can manage about 3.5 GB of total system memory, including any device cards with their own memory. Best if the modules are a matched pair. Current trend is toward a 64-bit OS as standard. Most 32-bit programs will run normally, with few if no problems.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Twisty » Sun May 08, 2016 11:01 pm

First thing that sticks out is I see you haven't specified a graphics card so I'm guessing this is for demanding 2D application use rather than games or 3D applications.

Nothing wrong with a WD black, but SSD are so superawesome quick, they really make a difference to every day use of PC. Many SSDs come with Norton ghost and usb adaptor so you can pull across everything across easily. If you are careful and do a bit of research, then you' might be able to pull across your partition to an SSD in windows 8.1 prepped for the upgrade and then switch to the new system with ACHI enabled so that propagates through to the windows 10 upgrade.

My general advice is that, unless you've got a specific need for a particular performance specification then think about the lifetime of the build and future planning,

This generally means fo higher spec on stuff likely to be kept for a long time. Top of that list is case and CPU, and to a lesser extent HDD, motherboard.

And consider carefully the performance/$ and lifetime of the bits that depreciate quickest like the graphics and CPU. E.g. The i7 6700k is a mighty processor but it is also quite expensive. Are the apps you use capable of using all 4 cores or would a 2 core processor work just as fast? If you are building for next 6years then would you have on average a faster PC if you buy a $200 CPU now and another $200 CPU in 3 years time?
I have now left the Building :tongue8:
Twisty
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby lionking007 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:18 pm

Twisty wrote:First thing that sticks out is I see you haven't specified a graphics card so I'm guessing this is for demanding 2D application use rather than games or 3D applications.

Nothing wrong with a WD black, but SSD are so superawesome quick, they really make a difference to every day use of PC. Many SSDs come with Norton ghost and usb adaptor so you can pull across everything across easily. If you are careful and do a bit of research, then you' might be able to pull across your partition to an SSD in windows 8.1 prepped for the upgrade and then switch to the new system with ACHI enabled so that propagates through to the windows 10 upgrade.

My general advice is that, unless you've got a specific need for a particular performance specification then think about the lifetime of the build and future planning,

This generally means fo higher spec on stuff likely to be kept for a long time. Top of that list is case and CPU, and to a lesser extent HDD, motherboard.

And consider carefully the performance/$ and lifetime of the bits that depreciate quickest like the graphics and CPU. E.g. The i7 6700k is a mighty processor but it is also quite expensive. Are the apps you use capable of using all 4 cores or would a 2 core processor work just as fast? If you are building for next 6years then would you have on average a faster PC if you buy a $200 CPU now and another $200 CPU in 3 years time?

Hi Twisty and karlswedt

Thank you for your advice. As twisty quite rightly pointed out, the main usage is for 2d applcations. Its for home se. Bit of games, youtube videos majority of time office applications, emails and probably dvd movies occassionally whilst ironing. I will not be installing any pci e cards or graphic card.

I currently have intel quad core with 1tb hdd and 4gb ram. I bought this sometimes in 2009. Its been 7 yrs and no problem. Only changed hdd once to wd black 1tb.

I am plannng to buy components from overclockers. As stated above in my first post, the config is more or less same. Now after reading what twisty has said whether are there any apps tht use all 4 cores is a question. Except the os, i am not too sure what other app i have. Therefore would i7 6700k become too high in range. If not, than the spec is

I7 6700k, asus z170a, corsair dominator 16gb ram,650w corsair 80 plus gold full modular psu, cooler master 212 evo air cooler, and my little one likes in-win 703 midi case with red fan, and hdd and dvd from old machine. Transfer all contents from old hdd to new ssd. (I am yet to do research on ssd) also i dont know what achi enabled means so once i submit this reply, back to some research.
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 09, 2016 4:34 pm

With multi-core processors, the OS controls which core does what duty and sharing of data processing. Each core would appear as a separate "engine" for computational needs. If one core does duty as a video rendering means, then it may be semi-independent of other cores with processing of main data.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... hitecture/
As to "achi", that is actually "AHCI", or Advanced Host Controller Interface. Recommended to be active in most setups.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby lionking007 » Tue May 10, 2016 11:43 am

Karlsweldt wrote:With multi-core processors, the OS controls which core does what duty and sharing of data processing. Each core would appear as a separate "engine" for computational needs. If one core does duty as a video rendering means, then it may be semi-independent of other cores with processing of main data.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... hitecture/
As to "achi", that is actually "AHCI", or Advanced Host Controller Interface. Recommended to be active in most setups.

Definitely, I am going to add SSD & use HDD for data storage. Apart from that what do you think of this config.
I7 6700k, asus z170a, corsair dominator 16gb ram,650w corsair 80 plus gold full modular psu, cooler master 212 evo air cooler, and my little one likes in-win 703 midi case with red fan
lionking007
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Next

Return to Recommendations