Apache Open Office ???

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Apache Open Office ???

Postby c327 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:41 am

I have a paid for MS Office, Home & Business for Windows 10 x64 for one PC a one time payment of $161.00. :( I have an older version of this (2003 32 bit) that can be used on as many PC's as I want but unfortunately on the Windows 10 x64 PC it can't be used.

I have a second laptop that the wife uses and she needs MS Word and maybe Outlook but for now Word is the most important. I tried to activate the above new program on hers and as you would guess it was a no go, one time only thingy PDT_Armataz_01_07

I came across Apache Open Office and it looks likes its free and was wondering if I installed it if it would open a previously created MS Word document from my other computer. Is anyone here familiar with this program and if so will it open my other MS Word created documents?

Thanks..........

Update:

I installed Apache Open Office 4.1.2 on this Windows 10 x64 computer and it all installed well. On first look it looks like I saved a ton of hard earned overtime at work. After I actually use it I will be able to offer a better user opinion of it.

Thanks..........
Last edited by c327 on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Apache Open Office ???

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:36 pm

Open Office® can work with almost any program from MS Office® or other sources. But as being true 64-bit, no positive note.
Best and safest source is from http://www.openoffice.org/ or other trusted site like Sourceforge.net.
http://www.openoffice.us.com/openoffice ... load&h=100
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:56 am

Not sure how Open Office got absorbed by Apache Project, but either way you get it either the Apache website or Open Office website you will end up with Apache Open Office...

Im currently running Open Office 4 (x86). I can't recall if they offer 64-bit or not. The suite runs great but does not have the same eye candy or feel of MS Office, but you also don't have to pay out the ass to use it like with office.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:59 am

Toby B. wrote:Not sure how Open Office got absorbed by Apache Project, but either way you get it either the Apache website or Open Office website you will end up with Apache Open Office...

Im currently running Open Office 4 (x86). I can't recall if they offer 64-bit or not. The suite runs great but does not have the same eye candy or feel of MS Office, but you also don't have to pay out the ass to use it like with office.

Thanks for the information. I have my share of 32 bit Microsoft programs from XP that I paid for years ago that I can or could have used in another PC of 32 bit flavor (not sure about W10 x32) I had to bite the bullet and cough up $161.00 for MS Office, Home & Business for one PC because I need 3 of the programs included in it. Once the COA is activated that is it which I did. If a person pays for a program they should own it and be able to use it where ever and as many times they want. The wife's laptop needs a word program only and it hurts like hell to have to give into MS again.

I will give Apache Open Office a shot and see how it works.

While I think of it.....

I bought from newegg a copy of Windows 10 Pro x64 in CD form that is still in the unopened package with the intention of using it on my older Sager laptop but after buying it there was a problem with some hardware not being compatible with 64 bit so I can't use it. My question is can this O.S. I bought as Windows 10 Pro x64 be installed as a 32 bit O.S. and if so will it work with my older 32 bit software and scanner and printer etc.

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Mr T » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:46 am

A 64 bit operating system will run 32bit software usually with no issues... Older hardware may be an issue as they rely on drivers sometimes written specifically for an operating system..

You have 64bit windows COA, so basically it is 64bit but compatible with 32bit software (apart from drivers).. You cannot install it as a 32bit operating system as the licence won't allow... Try the priner and scanner on your windows10, if it works - fine. If it doesn't and wont work in compatbility mode, you may need a new printer or scanner.. (same issues arose with the move from win98se to XP)...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:16 am

Mr T wrote:A 64 bit operating system will run 32bit software usually with no issues... Older hardware may be an issue as they rely on drivers sometimes written specifically for an operating system..

You have 64bit windows COA, so basically it is 64bit but compatible with 32bit software (apart from drivers).. You cannot install it as a 32bit operating system as the licence won't allow... Try the priner and scanner on your windows10, if it works - fine. If it doesn't and wont work in compatbility mode, you may need a new printer or scanner.. (same issues arose with the move from win98se to XP)...

Hi Mr. T

I tried to install some of my MS 32 bit programs on this 64 bit PC and they would not install. Someone told me my HP 960c printer would work on the 64 bit system but not the HP flat bed scanner. I went out and bought a new all in one printer, scanner and fax machine so everything is happily married with each other all 64 bit compatible.

I have an older Sager laptop that has XP Pro SP3 installed that still runs great. The CPU is 64 bit ready but according to Sager they can't provide me with any drivers or are they able or willing to tell me if any of the installed hardware is 64 bit compatible. The PC is in great shape and condition I don't want to chance breaking the seal on the W10 Pro x64 DVD package and installing it and then find out the install failed. The W10 Pro x64 DVD was around $120. I think its a one shot deal ??? :mb_uhoh3::

I think this Apache Open Office program is going to work just fine.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:30 pm

The SP3 release for Win XP Pro (2005) was only 32-bit. No SP3 for 64-bit.
Check if your system and features are compatible with Win 10 with program in this link..
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... 85%29.aspx
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:23 am

You could do what I do, keep the old sagar with windows XP SP3 on it and use it for old software and peripherals, you could even go on line with it as your routers firewall will protect you, and there is still AV software that will work on it... Or, you could try Ubuntu or other 64bit linux distro and see if it works (live CD that won't touch the hard drive)... The problem with windows and as you have discovered upgrading is the 3rd party drivers...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Return to Recommendations