Is it worth it ????

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Is it worth it ????

Postby c327 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:07 am

I built a Intel based 32 bit XP Pro desktop back on November 1 2009, my second build and although at the time I considered it good quality, decent performing and its still running great with no defects I am wondering if I should spend money updating it. If I updated it it would be 64 bit Windows 10 Pro.

This is what it is now:

Case - Lian-Li PC-7F
MOBO - Intel DP55KG LGA1156 133Mhz
Memory - Crucial 4gb Kit 2 X 2gb 240 pin dimm 256 MX64 DDR 3 PC3-10600
BIOS - Updated to 3206
CPU - Intel i7-860 2.8Ghz LGA1156 4 core HT
HDD - Seagate ST3750528AS 7200.12 now 500GB
CD ROM Drive - CD/DVD/RW - Plextor PX880SA-26 24X DVD+-R 12X DVD
PSU - Enermax EIN 720 AWT 720W
Video Card - Sapphire ATI Radeon HD4870 1gb GDDR5 PCIE 16 256 bit
Audio - Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)
CD/DVD - Sony DDU1681S
O.S. - XP Pro SP3 32bit

Notes:
I don't use the PC for games.
I think the CPU is 64 bit ready ?
The MOBO I think may be usable but its 6 years old ??
The case I guess is ok.
The HDD would be replaced with a SSD
Memory would be increased to 8gb if 64 bit compatible but still questionable performance wise.
The rest of the hardware is all questionable as being compatible with Windows 10 64 bit

I have not researched much of this and I am not asking folks here to do it for me, but at a quick glance my gut is telling me to keep the the following if compatible with Windows 10 x64 ....The case, CPU, burner, video card?, sound card? and replace everything else. I don't like the way the Intel CPU heat sink attaches to the Intel mobo (push twist). Desktops are a thing of the past IMO so I am wondering its all worth the effort and expense because after its all done it will still be a desktop taking up a lot of space when a small laptop can do pretty much the same thing. Did I just answer my own question ?????
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Is it worth it ????

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:40 pm

A laptop is a general all-around use PC. But does not have the mettle for extreme duty or extended daily use as does the desktop class. And laptops can run overly warm.
Did a check on your motherboard model, if the 'extreme' edition, it has the Intel®64 Architecture and should support 64-bit operations. More the CPU itself is the key element for 64-bit instruction set handling.
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/doc/pr ... -brief.pdf
Intel does have a small diagnostics program to check if the CPU is capable of 64-bit operation..
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... ol-64-bit-
Device cards, optical and hard drives don't need to be classed as either 32-bit or 64-bit. Both fields covered.
If you want to upgrade the CPU cooler, look at the Dynatron K987. Not expensive, has radial cooling fins, copper core, and bolts through the motherboard with four spring loaded screws. New Egg lists it.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Mr T » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:16 am

My advice - keep everything... Still a very viable setup... The only thing I would upgrade is the video card, that may have issues in an upgrade to windows 10, but unlikely.. To me desktops are still very viable - I can do a lot more on my desktop than on my i5 laptop or macbook - bigger screen, easier to upgrade, quicker in many respects in doing stuff like dvd encoding, photo editing and so on.. Unless technology really advances, my desktops stay..

In fact, the cpu is 64bit, why not try linux on it rather than messing with windows?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby c327 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:55 pm

Mr T wrote:My advice - keep everything... Still a very viable setup... The only thing I would upgrade is the video card, that may have issues in an upgrade to windows 10, but unlikely.. To me desktops are still very viable - I can do a lot more on my desktop than on my i5 laptop or macbook - bigger screen, easier to upgrade, quicker in many respects in doing stuff like dvd encoding, photo editing and so on.. Unless technology really advances, my desktops stay..

In fact, the cpu is 64bit, why not try linux on it rather than messing with windows?

Thanks for all the good advise you and others gave me here,appreciate it.

I got in touch with Althon Micro Inc, (Sapphire) and was told there are no drivers for my video card for Windows 10 so like you thought it needs to be replaced.

I was thinking of bumping up the memory one notch only because I do digital camera editing once in a while if that in fact puts a extra demand on the Memory plus I have intentions of using Skype ?

I do have a paid version of Microsoft Office Home & Business 2016 $$$$ with no subscription required good for one computer that I have not used yet. Also have a retail version of Windows 10 Pro with COA that has also not been used or opened yet that between the both of them cost around $300. Not knowing how much longer the MOBO is going to hold out has me asking all these questions because if the MOBO bails out after I install this software I may not be able to install them on a new board or PC. ?????

I am waiting on Intel to get back to me regarding having to update the Chipset and the BIOS for Windows 10 x64. (Intel MOBO)
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:55 am

If a motherboard has performed well for 5 years or more with no problems (BAD CAPS!!), then likely it will go another 5 years or more. But may need an updated BIOS to contend with newer features and OS needs.
If not into intense gaming and video editing, 4 GB of system memory should suffice for 99% of needs. Keeping the C:\ partition defragmented is important, to have files in a more efficient read/write state, and a large contiguous free space for virtual and cache files.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Toby B. » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:27 am

If a motherboard has performed well for 5 years or more with no problems (BAD CAPS!!), then likely it will go another 5 years or more. But may need an updated BIOS to contend with newer features and OS needs.

Also note doing a major upgrade on an aging system, it would be recommended that you look into replacing the CMOS battery as a preventive measure.

More and faster speed RAM is a plus.. Especially when looking at newer OS setups.
faster RPM and data rates will help reduce bottlenecks.
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:11 am

All good suggestions, thanks.

Assuming the mobo looks good after visual inspection, if I were to upgrade this desktop I would replace the video card, sound card, and HDD to a SSD and probably the memory to something a little faster if I can. The only thing I am concerned with is getting an updated BIOS that will work with Windows 10. I think there is no longer any support for this MOBO. Also concerned about the drivers for the chipset. Now does the cost to do this make it worth it? It seems like i'm not far away from a complete rebuild? :idea: :o I do have an unopened retail version of Windows 10 Pro x64 (with COA) here that I can use.

I do agree all the way that a desktop probably has more longevity than a laptop which is more of a light duty short periods of use type of PC.
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Return to Recommendations