The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:05 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hello! I am building my first computer.
I am about to buy online CPU+RAM+motherboard. I found a seller who sells
CPU: i3-4170 (3.7)
RAM: 2x4GB kingston
motherboard: ASRock H81M-HDS and ECS H81H3-M4

Now which motherboard is better? Or they are both not that good, and I should consider something else.
Total price 295$

I want to buy something which will live for some years. Thx in advance :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:54 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
For comparison:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H81M-HDS/
http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Produc ... 72&LanID=0
Don't forget to get a proper PSU and case for any system. Mini-style cases are cramped, and may have poor cooling air flow. Better to have a mid-size case. PSU wattage should be at least 25% more than required.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:10 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

proper power supply means something with a decent brand on it. Can you list what brands of power supplies are available to you please?

As for the boards, the Asrock is all-solid capacitor where the ECS is still using regular electrolytic near the PCI slot. I have no doubt these will be cheap chinese ones like they always do. The Asrock has a better chance of surviving.

Karl mentioned to get a larger case; he's right, heat is an enemy of any electronics, including computer parts.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

First thanks for answering :)

As for the case I have 2. One average size and the other one kinda big, as you may see in the picture.

My power supply is Rulian science & technologies co ltd. I have 2 of them, you can see from the picture theyre 300W (actually they seem to be even 400W on the instructions).
Quote:

And as from my experience with my PC, I have bought a PC with a ASRock in feb 2005, and then it died in 2008 or so. Then I got the one you can see from the picture case and ECS mobo. They were both used modos and can work until now even it has not been used that much (mostly internet and solitare :p).
Quote:

Last edited by empirefantasy on Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:54 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

As for PSU i have 2 of them:

I bought my first PC in FEB 2005 and it ASRock modo died in 2008 or so. Then i got a used pc and some other used parts (including here a PSU&ECS mobo).
These parts are still working.its important to notice here that i havent been using them too much. Now (the other motherboard which is in my old case) is used mostly for internet and solitare :p
While as you can see this case is big enough...i think

So that has been my exp with PC. Also i need to buy a HDD since the old one 40GB is too less and doesnt even fit to new motherboards.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:18 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

If older motherboards require a hard drive of less than what is available new, create a primary partition within the BIOS limits. You can then create an extended partition, and create drives within that which can be larger, in acceptance to the OS version. FAT32 is limited in partition size to about 32 GB. NTFS can go several times that amount. Windows versions prior to "2000" or "XP" do not work with NTFS formats.
This is just an example.. With some much older systems with BIOS dates prior to 2000, there may be a need to "adjust" the C-H-S factors. If maximum head count for the BIOS is 16, with 2000 cylinders and 56 sectors per track, change the cylinder count to 500, and the head count to 64. Don't change the sector count.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0c0?auth=1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:32 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Karlsweldt wrote:
If older motherboards require a hard drive of less than what is available new, create a primary partition within the BIOS limits. You can then create an extended partition, and create drives within that which can be larger, in acceptance to the OS version. FAT32 is limited in partition size to about 32 GB. NTFS can go several times that amount. Windows versions prior to "2000" or "XP" do not work with NTFS formats.
This is just an example.. With some much older systems with BIOS dates prior to 2000, there may be a need to "adjust" the C-H-S factors. If maximum head count for the BIOS is 16, with 2000 cylinders and 56 sectors per track, change the cylinder count to 500, and the head count to 64. Don't change the sector count.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0c0?auth=1

Thanks for saying but I am planning to buy a new mobo as u can see in the first post. and i dont plan to transfer any file.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:46 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What I referenced to is 'standard procedure' if a proper hard drive type cannot be found for older systems. But there are laptop drives in less than 100 GB size, and are easy to mount in older systems with an adapter dongle.
Older systems may run decently with Win 95 or Win NT, but any Win OS newer may not make the first full boot.
The fun of older systems is being able to still enjoy older programs and games.. with "legacy" features.
And they make excellent answering systems and fax machines.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:15 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

What brands of NEW power supply are available to you? Because those two will die pretty soon. "Ruilian" is associated with low-end, low-quality power supplies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:23 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I was looking this site which provides a lot of info about PSU http://www.playtool.com/pages/psucompat/compat.html

Seems things are very complicated :(
If these 2 old one cant do the job, can you suggest me some PSU please which are good enough. I am going to buy them, to save PC health and performance.