Laptop HDD's

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:05 am

Here is a link as to SSD and other drive type manufacturers.. your choice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ufacturers
Check which ones are highest rated, by "most popular" or "best performance". A long warranty is important. Reliability is first choice.
Setting aside a 100 GB partition for the OS and its needs is not unusual, with today's versions. Not just the OS itself, but ancillary programs such as browsers, anti-virus, firewall and viewer programs (Adobe, Java, VLC, media players). Then all the OS updates, and the pagefile.sys blob, which can run over 2 GB easily!
When getting a new computer or laptop from a merchant, normally there is a hidden partition with the OS install files and all drivers for that specific model. You would be prompted to clone that to a DVD or other storage media, for future needs. Very rarely today, would you get an OS install disk and driver disk with retail computers. An option would be to purchase the OS install disk, full version, with valid COA for your system, from the parent company. Clone the drivers to a separate storage media, and you are safe for future needs. Motherboards and device cards sold separately still come with driver disks.
According to Microsoft®, the downloadable Win 10 ISO is around 3.5 GB. So a USB 'stick' should be around 5 GB or more, to include drivers.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 20817
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 am
Location: 07438

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby c327 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:21 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Here is a link as to SSD and other drive type manufacturers.. your choice.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... ufacturers
Check which ones are highest rated, by "most popular" or "best performance". A long warranty is important. Reliability is first choice.
Setting aside a 100 GB partition for the OS and its needs is not unusual, with today's versions. Not just the OS itself, but ancillary programs such as browsers, anti-virus, firewall and viewer programs (Adobe, Java, VLC, media players). Then all the OS updates, and the pagefile.sys blob, which can run over 2 GB easily!
When getting a new computer or laptop from a merchant, normally there is a hidden partition with the OS install files and all drivers for that specific model. You would be prompted to clone that to a DVD or other storage media, for future needs. Very rarely today, would you get an OS install disk and driver disk with retail computers. An option would be to purchase the OS install disk, full version, with valid COA for your system, from the parent company. Clone the drivers to a separate storage media, and you are safe for future needs. Motherboards and device cards sold separately still come with driver disks.
According to Microsoft®, the downloadable Win 10 ISO is around 3.5 GB. So a USB 'stick' should be around 5 GB or more, to include drivers.


Not knowing anything else I have decided on going with Micron Technology (USA) and not Samsung (Korea) for the SSD's. Never had an issue with Crucial memory but did have a ton of problems with Samsung TV bad caps on 3 new expensive TV's.
The caps were not Samsung brand but they were put in there by Samsung knowing there was a problem with the manufacture of them.

If I remember correctly with my current 8 year old Sager JHL 90 (Compal) laptop they sent me a downloadable file with all the drivers I needed for that laptop just in case I needed to uninstall or reinstall a driver or software for some reason.

I just want to make sure I understand this because after all these years I have never partitioned a PC. Are you saying that I just need one large SSD and partition it for two area's 1 for the OS and thing related to it and the 2nd area for my data like files, folders and misc.programs etc? Or is it best to get 2 separate SSD's and configure them the way one would partition one large SSD? What would you recommend?

Thank you
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:29 pm

User choice, in partitioning a hard drive (or SSD) to separate the OS and its dedicated programs from others.
I still do the needed partitioning, may always do so. The OS by itself creates the most fragmented file areas.. with rewrites of data every few seconds, and always in a new location. That is the main reason for a separate partition for the OS, IMO.
Having one large storage drive with partitions would be more economical in cost and operation.
Use the OS install disk to create partitions, if wanted.. 100 GB, 250 GB or as desired.
Some third-party programs (games, video and image editors) may form a very small folder on the primary drive, but the majority of programs will load entirely on a "D" drive. And be as accessible as if on only one partition. A secondary partition could also be used as a resident backup for the OS and other needs.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 20817
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 am
Location: 07438

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:32 am

Karlsweldt wrote:User choice, in partitioning a hard drive (or SSD) to separate the OS and its dedicated programs from others.
I still do the needed partitioning, may always do so. The OS by itself creates the most fragmented file areas.. with rewrites of data every few seconds, and always in a new location. That is the main reason for a separate partition for the OS, IMO.
Having one large storage drive with partitions would be more economical in cost and operation.
Use the OS install disk to create partitions, if wanted.. 100 GB, 250 GB or as desired.
Some third-party programs (games, video and image editors) may form a very small folder on the primary drive, but the majority of programs will load entirely on a "D" drive. And be as accessible as if on only one partition. A secondary partition could also be used as a resident backup for the OS and other needs.


Thank you for taking the time to help me out with this. I just don't want to make an expensive error if I can avoid it.

I have pasted 2 possible orders (both are Clevo OEM/ODM) that I am interested in, one is about $100. more than the other because it looks like it uses a dedicated video card and not system RAM. I will not be getting an OS for $80. less (I will buy it my self that way I will have a CD) Also don't know which way to go with the wireless Lan. Intel dual band AC7260 or the standard 802.11 BGN
http://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/pu ... -brief.pdf

NP2650 Notebook
$1,733.00 X UpdateIn stock: 07/28/2015

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP2650.html

Components
- 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080) Back Order! (ETA: 07/28/2015)
- Intel HD Graphics 4600 with Share Memory Architecture
- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 2.90GHz) [+$370.00]
- IC Diamond 7 Thermal Compound - CPU [+$25.00]
- Genuine MS Windows® 8.1 64-Bit Edition
- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 1 X 8GB
- 500GB Crucial BX100 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [+$160.00]
- 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
- Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Software & Services
- Microsoft Office 365 Trial - Included in Price
- Sager 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty [+$149.00]
Accessories
- ACA-2650, NP2650 90W 110V/240V autoswitch AC Adapter [+$65.00]
- CAR-1010-2, Car Adapter [+$65.00]

NP6659 Notebook
$1,838.00 X UpdateIn stock: 08/04/2015

http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP6659.html

Components
- 15.6" Full HD LED-Backlit Display with Super Glossy Surface (1920 x 1080) Back Order! (ETA: 08/04/2015)
- Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [+$25.00]
- 2GB GDDR3 Nvidia GeForce GTX 950M GPU with Optimus Technology / Embedded Intel HD Graphics
- 4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4910MQ Processor ( 8MB L3 Cache, 2.90GHz) [+$370.00]
- IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU [+$25.00]
- Genuine MS Windows® 8.1 64-Bit Edition
- 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 1 X 8GB
- 500GB Crucial BX100 Series SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive [+$160.00]
- 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Internal 802.11 B+G+N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module
- Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
Software & Services
- Microsoft Office 365 Trial - Included in Price
- Sager 3 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty [+$149.00]
Accessories
- ACA-6659, NP6659 120W 110V/240V autoswitch AC Adapter [+$75.00]
- CAR-1010-2, Car Adapter [+$65.00]

At the moment I am thinking 1 500GB SSD partitioned like you say. 100GB for the OS and the balance for everything else.
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct500bx100ssd1

What do you think? What needs to be changed or considered here? Thank you

Mark
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:32 am

Not much difference between those two models. But what is this about?
"- Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [+$25.00]"
Shouldn't that be a default part of the guarantee or warranty?
Would not be an easy decision as to which one. But the one that best fits your needs would be the choice.
A 500 GB drive should be more than sufficient, unless you need to access a lot of image or other data files.. where an external USB drive would be an option.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 20817
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 am
Location: 07438

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby c327 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:58 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Not much difference between those two models. But what is this about?
"- Guaranteed no dead or partially-lit pixels for first 30 days of purchasing [+$25.00]"
Shouldn't that be a default part of the guarantee or warranty?
Would not be an easy decision as to which one. But the one that best fits your needs would be the choice.
A 500 GB drive should be more than sufficient, unless you need to access a lot of image or other data files.. where an external USB drive would be an option.


Sager has had that pixel guarantee for years. Never was a part of the standard warranty, roll the dice on what you end up with, with out it. The way it has been it depends on how many pixels are defective or dead and their location on the screen for the PC to be considered defective under the warranty, thus the cost of the guarantee deal.

I will not be storing video on the PC.

Just 2 issues left:

1) Which of the two wireless LAN's is best? 802.11 bgn or the Intel AC7260. Probably will go with the Intel AC7260 since its backward compatible to 802.11bgn I think.

2) Is it worth the extra $100 to get the dedicated graphics card? rather than use on board video and system RAM
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree
 
Posts: 4404
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:01 am
Location: Saint Augustine Florida

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 pm

There is a set of rules or "standards" for wireless communications, commonly called "802.11".
It states that newer forms of the interface are backward-compatible to older standards. But not forward-compatible.
This means that any newer standard like 802.11g would downgrade its signal and rate to older standards reliably.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/8/802_11.html
Any brand with the rated version must comply with the IEEE rules. Some brands are more compatible than others.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master
 
Posts: 20817
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:57 am
Location: 07438

Previous

Return to Recommendations

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests