Laptop HDD's

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Laptop HDD's

Postby c327 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:44 am

Well my older Sager pappy although still working good with no problems other than being old, heavy, battery needs to be replaced and XP Pro is due to be replaced so I figured that I would get a new Laptop but something a little less bulky and heavy. I don't know if it will be Sager this time or something else, possibly something Clevo . I don't play video games but do want computing performance (that kind of doesn't make sense).

Up for consideration is the use and configuration of SSD and platter type HDD's and why. What would be the best configuration of the two drives if two different type drives are used?

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: Laptop HDD's

Postby Roach412 » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:46 am

SSD. just use an(or multiple) SSD.

/thread

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:39 am

Apologies, took out your duplicate thread C327.
Older 'platter' hard drives are long lasting, but subject to damage from "hard knocks". They are at about their finest hour, in a sense. The SSD drives are more immune to physical damage, but also use less power.. and are a bit faster.
There are many great brands of laptops, but not as many manufacturers. Many brands are just relabeled.
Compare the "top ten" and "best buy" listings for best overall needs. And pricing. Some models are convertible, having the life of a true laptop, or can become a 'tablet' type.
If your Sager can be upgraded to comply with the Win 10 stats, maybe that would be a path until a better model is found.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:37 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:Apologies, took out your duplicate thread C327.
Older 'platter' hard drives are long lasting, but subject to damage from "hard knocks". They are at about their finest hour, in a sense. The SSD drives are more immune to physical damage, but also use less power.. and are a bit faster.
There are many great brands of laptops, but not as many manufacturers. Many brands are just relabeled.
Compare the "top ten" and "best buy" listings for best overall needs. And pricing. Some models are convertible, having the life of a true laptop, or can become a 'tablet' type.
If your Sager can be upgraded to comply with the Win 10 stats, maybe that would be a path until a better model is found.

There are a few things I need to think about. My older Sager laptop (compal JHL 90 I think it is) needs a new battery, it still performs very well and am very happy with my buying experience at Sager but that doesn't me it will be good again? My desktop Intel i7 PC I built still runs well but I want to get away from all these pc's and stick to just one. I want something a little lighter in weight if I can, at least a couple of USB ports good processing power, SSD, Windows 10 Pro, mid range Video Card, glossy display. This will be my all around PC. I don't play games. Should it have an internal burner ??? I don't need a lot of storage 200 - 500 go should be fine.

I could use some suggestions as to HDD & SSD size and configuration. My current laptop is heavy. I am thinking Clevo this time.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:46 am

If a primary computer, a laptop would need to be a bit more rugged than most models. Sager® and Toughbook® can shrug off more 'oopsies' than others. Not unusual to have a 500 GB hard drive and 8 GB of memory in a laptop. On-board graphics are not as great as a regular PC, but sufficient for most needs. Some models have upgrade options for video. Most models now have a DVD burner as default, or a newer Blu-ray. They also can work the default CD format. An extra battery is a good thought when afield, maybe too an inverter for vehicle power.
Some newer laptops can use satellite WiFi links. But may be pricey as to use.
Don't buy a laptop just for price or "bells and whistles". It has to fit your needs.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:40 am

c327 wrote:
Karlsweldt wrote:Apologies, took out your duplicate thread C327.

There are a few things I need to think about. My older Sager laptop (compal JHL 90 I think it is) needs a new battery, it still performs very well and am very happy with my buying experience at Sager but that doesn't me it will be good again? My desktop Intel i7 PC I built still runs well but I want to get away from all these pc's and stick to just one. I want something a little lighter in weight if I can, at least a couple of USB ports good processing power, SSD, Windows 10 Pro, mid range Video Card, glossy display. This will be my all around PC. I don't play games. Should it have an internal burner ??? I don't need a lot of storage 200 - 500 go should be fine.

I could use some suggestions as to HDD & SSD size and configuration. My current laptop is heavy. I am thinking Clevo this time.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

Question

Would you get all SSD's or one SSD & 1 7200 rpm HDD. Like one for the OS and one for storage?
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:48 pm

Some newer laptops will have better graphics with multi-core CPU types. One or more cores are dedicated to disseminate data, another to route it, and another to render video.
As to choice with hard drives, why not go totally with SSD types? A bit less weight than mechanical hard drives, and less power draw. 1 TB SSD drives are under $500.00 USD. As the technology is perfected and production increases, the price will drop.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:23 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Some newer laptops will have better graphics with multi-core CPU types. One or more cores are dedicated to disseminate data, another to route it, and another to render video.
As to choice with hard drives, why not go totally with SSD types? A bit less weight than mechanical hard drives, and less power draw. 1 TB SSD drives are under $500.00 USD. As the technology is perfected and production increases, the price will drop.

All SSD that's what I was wondering about. It seems that having two HDD's is pretty much the popular way to go or am I wrong?

Is it best to have 2 SSD's or can one do just fine? If two SSD's I gather one for the O.S. and the other for DATA. If the configuration were to be for two SSD's what would their configuration be as to size of each. For the DATA drive I think a 250 GB drive is large enough for me but that I guess is on the small size for most.

When it came to memory I always used Crucial but I see other brands offered when it comes to SSD's. Is Micron/Crucial the best manufacturer for SSD's today?

I am currently looking at Sagers NP2650 (Clevo) laptop that has a glossy screen with a few options added that would probably bring the $899. laptop up to around $1600. http://www.sagernotebook.com/Notebook-NP2650.html

Would you mind taking a look at the options available for the NP2650 and make any suggestions you think would be the way to go.

1) I don't game and don't store any video but I do want decent if not better computing performance,

2) at least middle of the road graphics

3) good quality wi fi

4) at least 250 gb of data storage

5) glossy screen

6) Windows 10 Pro (not an upgrade)

7) at least 2 USB ports

8 middle of the road sound is fine

Thanks................Mark
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:44 pm

That Sager NP2650 is impressive as is. The only option would be the i7- 2.90GHz CPU with 8MB L3 Cache.
A 1 TB SSD should be all you need. You could get an external 250 or 500 SSD for seldom-used programs or storage.
Waiting another few months may allow a Win 10 OS to come with the model. Otherwise, Win 7 and 8 are free upgrades to the similar platform Win 10. Wait and see, or spend a few hours upgrading?
For my 'two bits', I would partition any hard drive into at least three parts. 100 GB for the OS and its dedicated programs, 100 GB for big games and other programs, the rest for video and audio file needs. The OS is the "messy bum" as to keeping house. The most file rewrites are done in its section, and weekly defrags are needed. The other programming is in need of a defrag maybe only 1/4 as often. Keeping a large contiguous free space on the "C" drive is critical for when you want to burn a disk, and not make "coasters".
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby c327 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:46 am

Karlsweldt wrote:That Sager NP2650 is impressive as is. The only option would be the i7- 2.90GHz CPU with 8MB L3 Cache.
A 1 TB SSD should be all you need. You could get an external 250 or 500 SSD for seldom-used programs or storage.
Waiting another few months may allow a Win 10 OS to come with the model. Otherwise, Win 7 and 8 are free upgrades to the similar platform Win 10. Wait and see, or spend a few hours upgrading?
For my 'two bits', I would partition any hard drive into at least three parts. 100 GB for the OS and its dedicated programs, 100 GB for big games and other programs, the rest for video and audio file needs. The OS is the "messy bum" as to keeping house. The most file rewrites are done in its section, and weekly defrags are needed. The other programming is in need of a defrag maybe only 1/4 as often. Keeping a large contiguous free space on the "C" drive is critical for when you want to burn a disk, and not make "coasters".

Thank you for you reply and suggestions.

Yes the CPU upgrade is one of the ones I intended on getting. I have been in contact with Sager Computer and they said that windows 10 comes pre installed at the end of the month which I figured but questioned how a clean reinstall of the O.S. Later on would be done and they said via USB which I would have to purchase?? They went on to say they would sell it with no O.S. For $80.00 less and I would have to purchase the O.S. On my own which sounds OK to me. The only thing I need to find out if they supply all of the necessary drivers?

I also asked them about the manufacturers of SSD's they offer and which one is the best and they said according to sales Samsung is best. I had interest in Micron/Crucial from previous use for my desktop memory but times change and I want to use the best SSD memory I can. What's your opinion or the opinion of others here as to the best manufacturer of SSD's?

Are you saying to get just one SSD but partition it into 3 partitions and to dedicate 100 gb just for the O.S. Why so much space for the O.S.? It looks like Sager is talking about using 2 separate SSD's instead of partitioning ?????? Not sure what they are talking about regarding this?

Thanks.........all
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Next

Return to Recommendations