Recommendations for a man out of touch

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Recommendations for a man out of touch

Postby Thomasuwoo » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:46 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:
I can't get the brand you recommended here.

Many product brands are not available world-wide. But there are similar great products available locally.
A 'stock' CPU cooler may suffice for normal use, but for a gaming setup or intensive video graphics work, best to go with a premium-grade cooler.
But with a premium CPU cooler, extra weight may be added to the CPU socket and cause warping, on vertically mounted motherboards. A brace or weight equalizing strap may be needed!

Good call, No point not spending a little extra considering the rest of the build. I've added a new cooler to the build:
Phanteks PH-TC12DX 120mm PWM CPU Cooler - $65AU.
Out of stock LOL! Changed to Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $45AU
Since I'm using a tower case It should fit fine but if anyone can see any problems let me know!
I'll wait a day or two before I order the build but looking over it all now I'm very happy with it.
I'd like to thank everyone here at The Mother Board for their help with my first build in over half a decade. I'll defiantly post back once it's all done to let you know how it has turned out.

Postby Thomasuwoo » Mon May 18, 2015 8:42 am

Sorry I took so long to post this! Put the machines together 2 weeks ago.
First machine booted up perfectly first go, though i forgot to install the CD rom drive! Had to shift a few cables around for that!
Second one I got the front case pins in the wrong order or something but 2nd boot was fine.
My only concern was that I'm not 100% sure I installed the heat syncs correctly. They were monstrous and while the brace seemed solidly pined down it just didn't feel right.
I've had realtemp installed since day one and neither machine has broken 35 degrees Celsius yet so here's hoping I got it right!
Looking forward to The Witcher 3 tomorrow to really put these though their paces!

Postby rascard2007 » Mon May 18, 2015 1:08 pm

the multicore processors are not much demanding in heat disipation but did U put some thermal paste between the CPU and the disipator?

on anyway god bless that u don´t have a 775 prescott CPU at 3,8 or 4 GHz or U will know what really heat disipation is! :lol:
"I have only come here seeking knowledge,
Things they would not teach me of in college"
-Wrapped Around Your Fingers-
-The Police-
Black Belt
Black Belt

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon May 18, 2015 4:08 pm

When properly fitted, a heat sink on a CPU should have great resistance to twisting or leaning. If loose, then redo the mount! It could take less than a minute for a CPU core to burn out if the heat sink is not fitted properly. Use a minimal amount of thermal paste, maybe the size of three dry rice grains.
No matter how precisely machined and polished two surfaces are, there are microscopic pits that prevent perfect contact. Thermal paste resolves the problem.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations