Recommendations for a man out of touch

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Recommendations for a man out of touch

Postby Thomasuwoo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:38 am

CURRENT BUILD:
CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 - $269AU
MOBO: ASUS H97I-PLUS Motherboard - $145AU
COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $45 AU
RAM: G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $95AU
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB FTW+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card - $549AU
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case -$159AU
POWER: Corsair VS650 ATX Power Supply - $85AU
MEDIA: LG GH24NSC0 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM - $19AU
DISPLAY: BenQ XL2411Z 24in LED 144Hz Gaming Monitor $429AU

TOTAL: $1795 Per machine
$3590 For both.

G'day Mother Board.
I'm looking to build a new system as the current rig I have I put together way back in 2010. Unfortunately I've fallen WAY out of the loop as to what brands and types of parts are reliable and good value for money.
I've spent the last hour wandering around the forums checking posts and I'm still feeling lost so I thought I'd try this section.
I'm looking to setup Two gaming rigs for myself and my wife.
We're both avid gamers though I need a rig that will also be comfortable with video editing.
The only parts I feel that are worth carrying over from our old systems are our HDD's as they were recently replaced. Seeing as every other part of the system except the Video Cards are now 5 years old I'd rather build new machines all together. Even the monitors are showing signs of age.
Ideally I'd like the two systems to be identical as it makes troubleshooting problems with them much easier.
I'm looking at spending $1,000 - $1,500 AUS dollars on each system for a total of $2,000-$3,000 but I'm willing to go a little over budget if needed.
Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.
And now back to the forums.
*FINAL EDIT*
Well I went quite a bit over budget in the end but I believe the difference in quality on the pieces I spent more on will be worth it! I'll let you all know how it turns out in the end once built. Thank you!
Last edited by Thomasuwoo on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Thomasuwoo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: Recommendations for a man out of touch

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:27 pm

Welcome to Motherboards.org.
There are a lot of DIY pros here, and some tech pros also.
Get together a list of items you prefer, and post same. Members will post their thoughts. Should be based on a 64-bit setup.
For a basic good system, think toward a 1 GB PCI-E video card with HDMI, a multi-core processor, minimal 650 watt PSU and minimal 4 gigs of RAM. For video editing, go to 8 gigs. But a full-size tower case would be my choice.
There are some "bare bones" offers listed at http://www.newegg.com/ you could look over for ideas. Also look over the "open box" specials. Unfortunately, New Egg presently does not ship to AU. But 'window shopping' is nice at New Egg.
Good luck with your builds.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thomasuwoo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:03 pm

Cheer's I'll get started right away.
I use PC Case gear for parts but having another site to do a price comparison will be handy.
I guess my biggest fear will be ending up with a mainboard with problems down the road.
My current one has problems with video editing. Rand crashes and slow compression.
If anyone has recommendation on any parts, or warning on which ones or brands to steer clear of as well I'd love to hear them.
Thomasuwoo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:46 am

There are some restrictions on electronic gear being shipped to certain countries from other countries. But near-identical products should be found as a "home" product.
One main cause of poor performance is too many background programs hogging the data stream needlessly. Disable or shut down those programs that are not needed for the tasks at hand. Running with 50 or less processes is a good setup. More equates to slower performance.
There are many great brands of motherboards. But most will use designs from Intel or AMD parentage.
There was a plague of "bad capacitors" on the electronics industry. Still not 100% eliminated, but not as many instances now.
More info on the "bad caps" syndrome at www.badcaps.net/
Video editing needs a lot of system memory. Raw data can be up into the gigabyte range for only a minute of video.
System memory (RAM) is where all programming is loaded to for use. Insufficient memory, then the OS shuffles files to find the best option. And sometimes crashes.
Also, if the primary C:\ partition does not have significant free contiguous space, files are fragmented and require longer to access. At the least, 10 GB or more free contiguous space may be needed for video editing.
Check www.adobe.com/ for thoughts about video editing software. There are other brands also.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thomasuwoo » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:17 pm

Sorry It's taken so long but it's Been a busy week.
Here's is what I've thrown together so far. Please feel free to Criticize every choice from compatibly to price to performance.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 - $279AU
MOBO: ASRock Z97M Anniversary Motherboard - $135AU
RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury HX318C10FK2/8 8GB (2x4GB) Blue - $99AU
VIDEO: Galax GeForce GTX 970 Hall Of Fame 4GB - $569AU
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Mid Tower Black -$159AU

TOTAL: $1755 Per machine
$3510 For both.
The HDD's in our current machines are recent and I'm not interested in any new peripherals at present.
Have I missed anything here? Any incompatibilities? Better deals? Bad choices?
Thomasuwoo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:29 pm

That memory is not in the tested list for your board:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97M%20A ... cat=Memory
and the HyperX Fury 3 series are noteworthy for crashing because of auto-overclock on some boards, so make sure you set the timings properly at first boot.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thomasuwoo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:34 am

evasive wrote:That memory is not in the tested list for your board:
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97M%20A ... cat=Memory
and the HyperX Fury 3 series are noteworthy for crashing because of auto-overclock on some boards, so make sure you set the timings properly at first boot.

Argh! Thank you Evasive!
*EDIT I've been told the mobo I choose was not the best so How's this look? Also is this power supply alright for this build?

CPU: Intel Core i5 4590 - $279AU
MOBO: ASUS H97I-PLUS Motherboard - $145AU
RAM: G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR2 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $109AU
VIDEO: Galax GeForce GTX 970 Hall Of Fame 4GB - $569AU
CASE: Fractal Design Define R5 Mid Tower Black -$159AU

TOTAL: $1775 Per machine
$3550 For both.
Thomasuwoo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:42 pm

The only item not listed is the CPU cooler. Just my "eight bits", but I like the Dynatron models. Solid copper core, radial fin design.. ball-bearing 4-wire fan. And quiet!
A quality CPU cooler is good insurance.
For a smaller ATX setup, that PSU should be more than up to the task.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Thomasuwoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:58 pm

Karlsweldt wrote:The only item not listed is the CPU cooler. Just my "eight bits", but I like the Dynatron models. Solid copper core, radial fin design.. ball-bearing 4-wire fan. And quiet!
A quality CPU cooler is good insurance.
For a smaller ATX setup, that PSU should be more than up to the task.

Added it to the build up top, How's that look? I can't get the brand you recommended here.
Thomasuwoo
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:16 am

I can't get the brand you recommended here.

Many product brands are not available world-wide. But there are similar great products available locally.
A 'stock' CPU cooler may suffice for normal use, but for a gaming setup or intensive video graphics work, best to go with a premium-grade cooler.
But with a premium CPU cooler, extra weight may be added to the CPU socket and cause warping, on vertically mounted motherboards. A brace or weight equalizing strap may be needed!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Recommendations