DSL Wireless Routers

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

DSL Wireless Routers

Postby c327 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:25 am

This regards a home wireless network with 6.0 DSL (ATT) as used in conjunction with a custom built desktop, laptop and an iPad and currently using XP Pro on my Windows PC's.

My current router is Netgear 7550 and I am told that it is going bad or is already there. I get slow download speeds like 1.78 and if I reset the router it goes up to 5.1. I was told that it should not do that and shows that it's defective.

ATT wants to send me a Pace 4111 router/modem combo to replace the 7550. They said they would send me either one. My questions are:

1) Which of the two is better?
2) What is a better brand and model to use with 6.0 DSL.
3) Is it better to use a separate modem & router vs. an all in one combo?
4) If a modem/router combo is showing slow download speeds of 1.78 and after resetting the router the download speed goes up to 5.1 does that indicate the router is defective?

Thanks
“Respect cannot be learned, purchased or acquired - it can only be earned” "Pay It Forward"
c327
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Re: DSL Wireless Routers

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:20 am

Could be another cause. Check your EULA or contract about "data limits".
There could be a cap on how much data is sent/received each month.
Or if your wireless network is not secure, someone else may be "riding" it.
Or if the unit is several years old, a small annoyance effect to get you to upgrade.
If deciding on a new unit, I would favor a combo unit, fewer wires and components.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: DSL Wireless Routers

Postby evasive » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:40 pm

From what I can find in ~25 reviews so far, those 7550 boxes seem to have a will of their own, Pace is the new owner of 2-Wire, the modem/router brand they previously gave out. A lot of people were happy with their 2-Wire devices and were disappointed at the netgear stuff. So I lean towards the Pace 4111 if that is the Pace 4111N they are talking about.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations