The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:09 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Hello people. I am building 3 machines. One for myself which is gonna be a upgrade useing my Raidmax Case and powersupply. I have picked up 2 160 G Velociraptor drives 10000 rpm 32 cache also a 7200 sata3 enterprise level Seagate Baracuda with 64 Cashe. These were almost new and I got a really good deal tradeing some smoke for them. I need to buy a MB Processor and Ram and if I need a powersupply if mine wont cut it. Its been running my Asus M3a78-E with a Phenom Quad 9850 and a Radion 7000 series...all overclocked and its been fie so I think its ok what do ya think?

Now im not new to building pcs but I have been out of the game since 2006 and brands change all the time. I know Asus makes killer boards at least they did. But times change and I know someone else may be as good. Whats important to me is...well alot of things. I want AMD and I want NEW technology....latest/best chipset to go with the processor. Data bandwidth is very important to me. No bottlenecks so quality Motherboard but affordable. Bang for the buck...something 150 - 200 bucks for the board. I need a really good audio package. I have been almost happy with the Realtek on my current board. I have a 600 watt home amplifier and powered sub that I use and I guess I am a audiophile. I want awesome but dont want to spend for a high end card unless its the right one at a good price. I think that the onboard stuff has come a long way and should be good enuff. I need reliability....all good capacitors....overbuilt is the word. I am looking at the ROG line but havent even looked at prices and just because it says republic of gamers and is red and black doesnt meen that another asus board might have the same features almost but just wear the red colors and shiny box with the fancy audio application. I use JR Mediacenter with the DSP Pluggins so I dont really have to have the fancy software. What else....I dont use my machine for work just as a tool for information on the internet and I do the audio and I love the new raceing simulators. Grid Autosport and MotoGP 14 and COD all get hours on my machine so it needs to do all these things that I like and do it very well....but not break the bank account.

So thanks for reading my post. The other 2 machines wil be workstations for telacommuting my Sister Beth nad one for my friend that may be simmiler to my upgrade but with all new parts. Like I said...I have away from building except for the mabey 3 Iv built since 2006. Technology has changed and I am asking for your up to date experiance to help me fing the right hardware.

So is it still ASUS or Gigabyte or has someone else been makeing killer gear?
What AMD processor do I need? I know the GPU's are on the processors now helping the video...I am just blown away reading about it. Reminds me of when MMX came out WAAAYYY back in like 96 Can you say K6.

Thanks again...I know Im long winded.
Jay S
Vancouver Wa PDT_Armataz_01_12

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:04 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

A lot has changed since '06. Newer, faster CPU types and finicky OS types. But there is still that DIY category where you can build what you need with few problems.
Best would be to do some browsing and comparisons, make up a "bucket list" of probable items.
Post the list here, and let members scrutinize and suggest the best packages.
As to a PSU, choose only a good brand with good warranty, and more power than needed. Happy life thereafter.
For on-board audio, it is good to sometimes equal to high-end sound cards. Video is another matter.
Consider a motherboard with two PCI-E 16x configuration. But a single 1 gig video card should suffice for 99% of needs.
Memory should be a 'premium' grade choice over 'value' grade.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:51 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Im still here and havent abandoned the thread but busy. Thanks again for the reply and I already have a list started. What do you think is the best all around mobo manufacturer today? I have faith in asus....but Im sure there are better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:28 pm 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The choice of a motherboard depends on what it will be used for. For server work or 24/7 operation, the highest quality is desired. But the price may also be very high. There may be need of a dual CPU option.
For gaming or general use, good quality is desired.. at the best price. Small or mATX designs save space, but have limited upgrade or add-in options. Full-size ATX models can accept more device cards. Consider what the future need may be.
But with any motherboard design, consider what life it will have, before a "better" design ranks it as out dated.
And depends on who you ask, as some prefer original source boards such as AMD or Intel. Other brands are from original manufacturer sources. But many brands do outsource their motherboard needs.
Best advice: Check reviews and "top ten" lists. Then post what you think would be best for your needs here, and let Forum members scrutinize.
http://www.intellireview.com/Top-Mother ... pandable=0