New Build Recommendations

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New Build Recommendations

Postby ranger16701columbus » Mon Feb 02, 2015 10:08 am

I am looking to make a new build...and I need recommendations. Right now, I have an ATX case (Antec) and an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard . I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor Dual-Core 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Processor, an EVGA 512-P2-N757-TR GeForce 8600 GT 512MB 128-Bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card, 4 GB OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory, a Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio (70SB104000000) 7.1 Channels PCI Express x1 Interface Sound Card (which, by the way, I had to remove because it screwed up my system), and a CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible Power Supply. And I have added additional fans as well as have several hard drives, which I would also plan of keeping with the new build. I would also keep my current case...so the motherboard would have to be an ATX mb, and hopefully with plenty of USB and SLI slots...as well as SATA slots. All these items were purchased and the system built around 2008. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate on my computer.

I use my system a lot for taking other peoples hard drives and repairing them, or finding issues with them...so I often slave their hard drive to my system. I also use this computer mostly for research, but I do play some games and also some music. I have never over clocked. I do a lot of video processing, from camera to DVD and also some graphics work. I work with pictures and use some graphics programs as well. I would most likely keep my current hard drives and my power supply. I am looking for a nice motherboard, ram, processor and maybe a graphics card and a sound card. I do like to listen to my music on this, and I have two sets of speakers, one with two tweeters and a bass, and one with two speakers. That sound card I purchased didn't last that long. But mostly I use this computer for email, work, Microsoft Office, as well as slaving other hard drives to it and fixing them or repairing them for others. BTW, I do the computer repair work (mostly wiping the hard drives and re-installing the drivers) for people in my church...for free...I do not make any money at this.

My current system is 7 years old...and the graphics are "ok". When I placed Windows 7 on this computer, none of my drivers from anything I have on this computer would load or work, especially my motherboard drivers. I am running the 64 bit version of Windows 7...and I only have 4 gigs of ram right now. I get the BSOD if I leave it run for any length of time and am not on the computer. All in all, it still runs, but is so antiquated, there is no way to upgrade anything. I think this time around I'd have to go with an Intel processor rather than another AMD, unless I can get the same quality for less money. Money is an issue here and I don't have a lot...but I know I need a decent processor and MB from the start. When I built my wife's computer in 2011, I went with Intel and she has had no problems at all with it. The upgrade to Windows 7 was pretty seamless with her.

I look forward to any suggestions you may have. I could live without an audio card and a new video card, if I had to. The MB, processor and RAM are what is most important to me right now. Thanks in advance for all your help.
ranger16701columbus
Initiate
Initiate

Re: New Build Recommendations

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:00 pm

Maybe a BIOS update would solve a lot of issues. But do so by saving the old program, just in case. Might allow a newer type of CPU to be used. And different memory structure.
The majority of drivers for a 32-bit and 64-bit OS are different. Some drivers are good for both versions, others specific.
The manufacturer of your mobo may have updated drivers for Win 7 and later, properly signed as the OS wants.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby ranger16701columbus » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Thank you Karlsweldt for the input. I did check with my MB manufacturer, and there are not any updated drivers for this OS. I guess the bottom line is I am really looking for a new build here. Do you have any suggestions, as per my original post? I do continue to squeeze as much life out of this build as I can, but feel the need for an upgrade...and I am, not sure as to go with AMD or Intel. I do know that AMD is cheaper, but in the long run, will it be upgradable like Intel seems to be? I just hope to get into something that is more upgradable and is faster than what I have now. And something that fits my usage needs. Once again, I am not a gamer and do not overclock, but may not be opposed to that in the future.

Thanks for your suggestions...I have looked into them. Looking for more advice here, as I have never been steered wrong by anyone here at MB.org. Thanks!
ranger16701columbus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:08 am

Some brief specs on your motherboard model.. http://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/M2N ... fications/
And a link to CPU compatibility.. http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2N-SLI_Deluxe.html
Intel and AMD have different "score cards" as to processor speed and type. But both are worthy of their ratings. AMD does have a higher rating in some cases, but weighted toward co-processor use, not true core activity as does Intel.
For what you have, it is a decent setup. Perhaps just culling programs that are not actually in use will give better performance. Run only those programs that are needed, not idling in the background.. hogging CPU cycles.
Whatever programs are listed as "start up" should be relegated to an on-demand need.. unless required for constant use.
Your antivirus and firewall programs should be dominant. And any duplication of those services can slow a system.
Microsoft® may have some updated drivers, check their update site for "other" updates.
AMD and Intel products do work well together, in most instances. An upgrade to your video system might be in order, if only 512 megs. Or go with a second identical video card. But then the PSU would probably need upgrading.
When using the on-board video, part of the main system memory (top end) is dedicated to its use. Going higher than 25% of total memory can starve the OS of its needs for memory. But if having a graphics card, no need for that dedicated memory instance. Set the 'video aperture' for about 128 megs. All it will do is act as a buffer to keep the video data supplied, and can be diverted as the OS needs.
If your motherboard can accept more than 4 gigs of memory, do a possible upgrade. But use less than the maximum module count, as some motherboards may have degraded speed with all memory slots filled. Matched memory modules for dual-channel and triple-channel designs work the best. Go with 'premium' grade memory, it has a higher tolerance for faster bus speeds.. with fewer errors.
Little "tweaks" can mean better performance, at a lesser cost.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:10 am

#1: what is your budget?

from there all ideas will spring...

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby ranger16701columbus » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:14 am

My budget is around 500 or less if possible.....
ranger16701columbus
Initiate
Initiate

Postby evasive » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:34 am

current motherboard driver support stops at Windows Vista and those are Beta drivers. So yeah, replacing the motherboard is the way to go.

I think you can recycle your power supply, good brand, beefy enough for general purpose system.
harddisks/optical drives: unsure, they do have a limited lifetime

motherboard/cpu/memory: buy a complete combo to save money. something like these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1594324
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1751406
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBund ... bo.1665042

I have chosen these because they are Asus/AMD CPU combo deals, but you can go Intel/different motherboard brand as well.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations