Media PC or TiVo DVR?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Re: Media PC or TiVo DVR?

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:54 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Without that 'cable card', you only would be able to access one CATV channel.. not the 3 or 4 the TiVo is capable of simultaneously.. That is what I decipher from on-line references. The 'cable card' acts like a multiple tuner feature, directly choosing several signals at once. The only option may be that 'cable card'.

So without the "Cablecard" the TiVo won't be able to record two shows at once? :(

So I guess my best solution will be going from:

Standard Internet (w/ Cable Modem)
Digital Cable w/ DVR

Downgrade to:

Standard Internet (using my own Cable Modem)
Standard Cable (No Cable Box)
CableCARD
TiVo

But which one?

TiVo Premiere I already have or opt for the newer TiVo Roamio / TiVo Roamio OTA?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:50 pm

My choice would be a bit of downsizing, and get the 'cable card'. If going for the newer Roamio model with or without OTA feature, a lot of budget "dents". With an OTA signal source, you need a good digital-signal antenna. The older VHF/UHF antennas are out of favor. Newer antennas for the digital UHF band are larger and better. Then you may need a digital signal converter or tuner. There are USB adapters that connect to the DTV source and to a media system.
Have not found a good image of the input/output ports for a TiVo, but likely there are composite, S-video and HDMI plus a coax connection. USB also. Perhaps some duplicates, from reviewing that link to different setups for TiVo.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:10 am

Looks like I'll stick with my Premiere. I have one HDTV Antenna (store brand) that seems to work good on my other tv. But I was thinking of trying a Mohu Leaf. Do you think I would get better range with the Mohu Leaf?

____________________________________________________________________________________

I've also seen Nuvyyo Tablo & Channel Master DVR+. Are either of these worth looking in to? If so, what are they?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:44 pm

That Mohu Leaf antenna may work well for an indoor antenna.. as long as the building walls do not have foil moisture barriers on insulation, or a lot of pipes and wires. There are some (expensive!) models that tape on the inside of a window, and are almost transparent. But if you are in an apartment or similar, outdoor antennas may not be allowed.
The Mohu Leaf antenna is highly directional.. and must have its face toward the signal source or no signal. Maybe mounting it on a frame like a painting, on a base that can rotate, would be an idea. Even a decent outdoor antenna, mounted near the ceiling center, would give great reception.
The higher an antenna is, the better the signal and distance. Many models have an optional rotator, so you can choose what signals to capture.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:55 am

Would any of these antennas work for me? Is the combo packs worth there costs?

Could any of these be mounted on a plywood base and placed behind a HDTV? Would a wall mount be better?

https://www.antennasdirect.com/

ClearStream™ 2V Long Range UHF/VHF Antenna Complete Combo Pack
ClearStream™ 2 Long Range Indoor UHF Antenna with Mount, Base Cover and 50 ft. Low Loss RG6 Coaxial Cable (MBS)
ClearStream™ 2V Long Range UHF/VHF Antenna
ClearStream™ 2 Long Range UHF TV Antenna
ClearStream™ 2 Indoor/Outdoor DTV Antenna Combo Pack

So, where do I stand antenna wise?
UHF, VHF, UHF/VHF antenna? Stand or wall mount? Are there any other possible indoor antennas I could try?
Last edited by BIGMAN131307 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:58 pm

None of your links worked.. "File not found" at the site.
Antennas for TV come in more "flavors" than jelly beans! What is important is how far the transmitters are from you, and any terrestrial interference. That will set your buying guide. Consumer Reports has a reference on several antenna models..
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm
Some 'outdoor' models will work very well 'indoors'. Of course, aesthetics may need to be addressed.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:53 am

Karlsweldt wrote:None of your links worked.. "File not found" at the site.
Antennas for TV come in more "flavors" than jelly beans! What is important is how far the transmitters are from you, and any terrestrial interference. That will set your buying guide. Consumer Reports has a reference on several antenna models..
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm
Some 'outdoor' models will work very well 'indoors'. Of course, aesthetics may need to be addressed.

Sorry about that, they most be sold out. :(

You can still find them on the site, with a quick search. :?

The Consumer Reports article doesn't help me much. Even they couldn't decide.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Each type of antenna fits a need. All antennas are extremely directional.. zero signal along its plane, maximum facing the transmitter. Same as a solar panel. Other types have "bow ties" with or without a wire rack behind them. That wire rack is a shield, so maximum signal comes only from the front. Some look like futuristic "ray guns" with several elements. Each element is tuned to a certain frequency range, for best reception. The only antenna that is omnidirectional is a "whip" type, a stiff upright rod. They are cut to a specific length to optimize reception in certain bandwidths. Most are plain metal rods, others may have a winding around the rod, to improve reception. Depends on want of using a 1/4 wavelength element, a 1/2 wavelength element or full wavelength element. The plain rod types are usually 1/4 wavelength. Going into the UHF frequency band, 99.9% of antennas are full wavelength design.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:26 pm

Yeah, I've been going round & round searching for the right antenna(s). :o
My head is spinning just looking at them all. :lol:

Let's take a step back to the DVR side.

What are the plus sides to each of these? How about the negatives?

Tablo - 2-Tuner Digital Video Recorder for HDTV Antennas with Wi-Fi $197.99
Tablo - 4-Tuner Digital Video Recorder for HDTV Antennas with Wi-Fi $299.99
TiVo® - Roamio DVR $149.99
TiVo® - Roamio OTA Digital Video Recorder $49.99
Channel Master - DVR+ Subscription-Free HD Antenna Compatible Digital Video Recorder with 1TB Hard Drive $399.99 :o

On currently on the fence to drop cable completely. I just need to have the replacement lined up. :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:43 pm

Some info on that Tablo 4-tuner model.. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1
For only 1/3 higher price, twice the recording capacity. Might be a good deal.. and cheaper at New Egg!
But with any unit, how easily can it be set up and programmed, and are there any subscription fees involved?
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

PreviousNext

Return to Recommendations