Media PC or TiVo DVR?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Media PC or TiVo DVR?

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:55 am

I'm currently at the end of my rope with cable service. :(

I plan to cut that cable cord next month. If I completely sever the cord or not depends on the increase. :(
Last year I purchased a TiVo Premiere. But I never hooked it up, too much going on. Just as I'm about to crack that box open I see that a newer TiVo might be a better fit for my needs.
Should I stick with the TiVo Premiere or opt for the newer TiVo Roamio / TiVo Roamio OTA??

The TiVo Premiere has two tuners while the TiVo Roamio has four. That alone is good incentive to get it. Does the four tuner model work the same way as the two tuner models?

Record 4 shows at once while watching one of the shows recording or a previously record show?

Perhaps my TV / DVR needs be better served with a Media PC?

Here is my watching habits:
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Channels I watch regularly: [*MyTV4, TBS, *CBS, *ThisTV, *FOX, *ABC, *PBS, *Create, *NBC, *ME-TV, *CW, *ION, Weather CH, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, AMC, FX, ABC FAMILY, COMEDY, DISCOVERY,
A&E, HISTORY, TLC, HGTV, FOOD, NBCSN, YES, SYFY, MSG, SPIKE, TCM, Bravo, NatGeo, TVLAND.

Other channels I have but don't watch, or watch often: FXX, BBC America, VH1 Classic, Animal Planet, Science, Cooking CH, Travel CH, Boomerang, HUB

Of all the channels that I get with my digital cable those are the only ones I'm interested in. The majority of them can be found on CH 4-70 without a digital cable box.
The Channels [*] are also available OTA.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Should I stick with the TiVo Premiere? Would the TiVo Roamio / TiVo Roamio OTA be better for me?

Is the answer a Media PC?

How would you solve this television dilemma? Please help me get this puzzle solved.

Other info:
HDTVs [x][x] - one ready, one smart
Netflix [x]
Wifi Available [x]
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Re: Media PC or TiVo DVR?

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:06 am

A hard-wired connection is always the fastest and most secure. Wireless does add a few microseconds of delay, but acceptable. Yet security has to be high, so "freeloaders" don't ride your signal. That can affect your usage.
If you are in need of recording several programs at one time, then the newer TiVo may have benefits. But how much storage space does the device have? You may need up to a terabyte of storage.
A comparison of features for a Media PC vs. the TiVo should be a to-do. Check content of packages and costs. A separate TiVo unit would be duplicating a Media PC setup. Might be better to go with a Media PC, and a private wireless setup on that so you have wireless and hard-wired access. A Media PC has multiple use features.. the TiVo has only one or two.

I have Dish Net SATV.. and am not happy with its pricing and features, esp. "packages" I have no need of. DSL with Telco is expensive also. Will be going with CATV soon. Any greater than "moderate" weather conditions cause loss of SATV signal.
No, I don't have 'recorders' for shows or such. Not much worth watching on the 'boob tube' anyway.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:01 am

Often I find networks juggle my fav. shows to the same nights and times. That makes having a DVR with 4 tuners ideal.

The current one I have through my cable company has two tuners. Which works ok, because some shows offer repeat airings on the same night.
That helps when I need to record multiple shows per night. Having a larger storage capacity is also nice.

What other comparisons, features should I be looking at?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:59 pm

One "gotcha" with some providers is a minimal monthly fee, whether you acquire wanted shows or not. And there may be a limit on how many per month. Read the EULA and look for hidden charges.
That so-called "prime time viewing window" often has several channels vying for good ratings from viewers. All just for bragging rights. Yes, a lot of times fave shows are on at the same time. A multi-tuner system can capture several shows at once.
One worthy feature is the "capture" box having a LAN port to connect to a media PC or personal PC. Or to a wireless system, so you can roam about the house with a Wifi tablet and not miss the shows! Just don't step on the dog's tail!!!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:46 am

Setup and use my TiVo Premiere?

Buy a new TiVo Roamio / TiVo Roamio OTA?

Build a Media PC?

AFAIK I can use the TiVo Premiere (w/ monthly sub. or LTP) with Basic / Standard Cable without needing a CableCard. <----- Is this the case? The TiVo site mentions this.
But if I get Digital Cable I need to get the CableCard from my Cable Company. <---- More hassle I prefer not to have.

It's the same situation with the new TiVo Roamio / TiVo Roamio OTA. Is that the case?

DTR a Media PC could be a possibility, but $$ are preventing it now.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:36 am

All U.S.A. TV signals OTA or broadcast from ground are now digital. The older VHF low and high bands and UHF are no longer used for TV signals. If the device is fairly new, it may be capable of receiving many signals directly. But line-of-sight only for maybe 30 miles maximum. CATV and satellite offer a greater choice of signals, but a Wifi unit would be needed.. and may only allow one station signal to be rebroadcast locally for private use. Publicly rebroadcasting TV and radio signals is a big no-no with the FCC. The lower count of channels, maybe up to 15, are considered "local" channels and may be a very basic package offering. Most newer flat-screen TV models have a built-in tuner/decoder for CATV.. compatible with most CATV systems. So maybe no converter box needed. But for a tablet or other device, a converter box connected to a Wifi setup. Maybe too much hassle for some users. Getting a "card" for that device may be a workable solution to "having your cake and eat it too".
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:08 am

:?

I get the part about replacing my Digital Cable box for a Tivo. In that case I need to have a "Cablecard" to receive the digital signal.

But if I drop down to the Basic / Standard service (Ch 2-70) will that still be the case? These are channels that I get on tv's that are directly
connected using COAX cables. I don't care about the 800+ extra channels that come with Digital Cable.

Where I'm at now:
Cable Internet
Digital Cable / DVR

What I plan to drop down to:
Cable Internet
Basic / Standard service (Ch 2-70)
TiVo

Would the Basic / Standard cable service come in the TiVo without the Cablecard?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm

The only suggestion as to CATV packages and 'options' is to check with their main office or Web site. If a "basic" package has all the channels you prefer, then good for the budget. But if certain desired channels are higher up the tier, then of course a more expensive package. Perhaps the CATV company may offer some channels other than PPV as À la carte.
As to the type of CATV signal, it may be in digital format on many channels. Some bottom channels ( 2 through 13 or so) may be in the older analog format, a default plan for older TV sets. Or all channels in digital format. That info would come from your provider.
Here is a link to several ways of connecting a TiVo system to your home media. A CATV converter box is noted with most.
http://www.electrophobia.com/tivo/
And straight from TiVo via Comcast CATV.. they recommend the cable card if you want all features available.
Perhaps other CATV providers have the same signal formats available, and should also offer that cable card.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ... l-adapter/
Another option is to purchase your own cable card for the TiVo from an electronics specialty shop, but it would have to be compatible with your CATV provider's signal format. New Egg does have one offer..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:11 am

Karlsweldt wrote:Here is a link to several ways of connecting a TiVo system to your home media. A CATV converter box is noted with most.
http://www.electrophobia.com/tivo/

These guides just confuse me. :(

Right know I have a Smart HDTV, TWC Digital DVR, DVD Player.

I plan on switching that setup to a Smart HDTV, TiVo, *DVD Player, A-B Switch, Antenna.
*I might just take out the DVD Player because I don't use it much in that room.

How would I set that up? With or without the DVD Player?

Karlsweldt wrote:And straight from TiVo via Comcast CATV.. they recommend the cable card if you want all features available.
Perhaps other CATV providers have the same signal formats available, and should also offer that cable card.
http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-su ... l-adapter/

I'm dealing with TWC (TW$$) :( What "features available"?

All I care about is getting the lower cable stations (2-70), and being able to record the shows I want.
The shows I care about are shown on those lower stations.

Karlsweldt wrote:Another option is to purchase your own cable card for the TiVo from an electronics specialty shop, but it would have to be compatible with your CATV provider's signal format. New Egg does have one offer..
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... isNodeId=1

Are any of these what I could use? If so, which would be user friendly with TWC?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:32 am

Without that 'cable card', you only would be able to access one CATV channel.. not the 3 or 4 the TiVo is capable of simultaneously.. That is what I decipher from on-line references. The 'cable card' acts like a multiple tuner feature, directly choosing several signals at once. The only option may be that 'cable card'. If any media device does not come equipped with multiple tuner capacity, then only one channel or program can be accessed at one time. The 'cable card' doesn't need the CATV converter box. But the FCC has mandated that if a newer TV or media device has a built-in tuner or two, then it must be accepted by the CATV provider.
That Dell USB tuner likely would not allow multiple signal access at the same time.. only one. Same for other items.
Several companies offer the 'cable card' for TiVo and other devices. Check with your provider as to it being compatible and accepted. Some CATV outfits honor only in their "in-house" accessories.
Consider the newer TiVo series 3, having more features and multiple tuner options. Budget, of course, is a primary concern.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Recommendations