EVGA gtx 770 vs. Gigabyte hd Radeon 7970?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

EVGA gtx 770 vs. Gigabyte hd Radeon 7970?

Postby XSlickyX » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Hey guys, I am building my new computer soon but I can not decide between the two graphics cards. I will probably end up overclocking either one when I get it so don't tell me to get the OC versions please. Also it doesn't have to be Gigabyte or EVGA those are just the two I heard were the best. I just want to know which one will perform better than the other. Also it doesn't have to be those cards, just any card around $400.
Thanks,

John F
XSlickyX
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:16 pm

welcome to the boards...

first and foremost the most overused reply to a recommendation:
it depends.

personally i like nvidia, and evga. so, i would tend to recommend that card. with that in-mind, i would do so only if there isn't a significant "deal-sweetener" with the AMD card. what i mean is, if you can get the 7970 with a bunch of games (and you want them/don't already have them) for the same or cheaper price than the nvidia card, i would consider it.

unless you are gaming in relatively extreme resolutions, you're not going to get much benefit out of the AMD card's features. the 770 performs as well or better than the 7970 in most everything when running at 1920x1080 or thereabouts.

it will also depend on whether you are gaming at all as well...so, my assumption of gaming could be invalid.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby XSlickyX » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:08 pm

Yes I will be using this for gaming, the amd card does come with 4 good games which is a plus but are they close enough that it doesn't really matter and i should just get the amd for games and lower price?
XSlickyX
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:50 am

With any video rendering system, the core speed of the GPU and its dedicated memory are critical to great performance. The more 'pixel pipelines' the smoother and cleaner the images! If a core speed for a GPU is up around 800 MHZ with a gig of dedicated memory, it should perform very well for 99% of applications. If considering dual GPU setups, both cards will share the rendering duties.. with some improved performance. But the cards must be identical for best results. Of course, main system memory must also be adequate for caching video data to supply a constant stream to the GPU.
Read reviews on any desired video card.. before buying. The independent reviews are more honest than the 'parent' company's boasting.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations