Integrated graphic card

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Integrated graphic card

Postby Ziad S » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:23 am

Hello,I am new to computer building so don't be surprised

I am buying a new pc and while choosing the motherboard there are built-in graphic cards but i am buying a separate video card,so is there a point in getting a motherboard with built in graphic card if i am buying a seprate one?

Also is every motherboard now have a built in graphic card or some doesn't?and is there price difference?

Thanks in advance
Ziad S
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:04 am

There is a point if you will be using that integrated one for another monitor.

No,many boards come without onboard graphics, instead that is now put inside the processors. The board will just have a connector and some wiring to connect your monitor basically.

What you need to find out is what your total budget is and what the main use for your computer will be. Onboard/built-in graphics tend to be cheaper but if you find out they're not good enough for what you want to do with your computer it's wasting time and money.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:33 am

most of the branded pc's you would buy from any retail outlet, like best buy, will have onboard graphics built into the mobo (which are now in the cpu with a majority of newer platforms, both intel and amd). usually they give you the option to upgrade to a discreet (add-in) graphics card to give you more oomph to play games and the like.
you really won't have the option of choosing a board without onboard graphics built-in in any way to save yourself any money.

one positive to having onboard graphics built into the motherboard or cpu is you will be able to troubleshoot your machine if something goes wrong with the vga card...

the best way to make a "cheap but powerful" computer is to build it yourself... and it is suprisingly easy. plenty of people around this board to point you the right way to getting that done.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Return to Recommendations