new motherboard or upgrade to Ivy

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

new motherboard or upgrade to Ivy

Postby Mac29 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I have a Phenom II X2 550 and 2 GB DDR2 in a 2009 system and want to try unlocking it or my Athlon II X3, but the mobos's I've searched for are no longer available as far as I can tell. I surf, use Office and play older games but will be learning SQL Server, programming and eventually doing some light video editing. I'm getting a newer card but only for around $50.

My question is: I'm thinking of building a Pentium Ivy Bridge and selling what I have. That 22 nm sounds efficient and cheap and I can upgrade later. Wondering if I'd lose some video features like the Celerons. Not sure if now is a good time to upgrade.

Two things on my list: noise and heat. Getting a card will help. But if want to try newer games then 4 gigs ram would be good and I start thinking of the whole upgrade slope. Unlocked cores, if ok would help video editing when I get to that. However, if I oc one of my hopefully unlocked and stable chips but then I'm cooking the room again it's a mixed bag as I live in Florida.

Anyone care to take a stab at which direction I should take?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Mac
Mac29
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon May 27, 2013 9:51 pm

What is your total budget?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bdub » Tue May 28, 2013 12:14 pm

do you know the stepping codes on either the amd chips you have?
amd mobo's with 8xx chipset and earlier had ACC to unlock cores on chips, but it was not always dependable because the chips could not handle the increased workloads (hence they were binned as lower performing cpu's). the 9xx chipset boards (like mine) have UCC, which i believe is the some concept as ACC, and also is in no way perfect, due to it really depends on the chip you are trying to unlock.
when i unlock the one in my system, it freezes in windows. so no dice, for me.
sometimes the stepping code on the chip can help give you a good indication if the chip will give you a successful unlock.

in the end, is it really worth it to gamble a new mobo on the (sometimes faint) possibility you can turn a dual-core or tri-core chip into a quad-core?

your BE phenom II would be an interesting one to try though, and could be worth the trouble. but in this case, you would have to be prepared (if unlocking does not work) to go ahead with getting an am3+ chip down the line as an upgrade instead of moving on to new platforms.... or else you are wasting money on the new mobo, and not getting anything in return.
my main rig...
asrock 970 extreme3
AMD athlonII X3 440
zalman cpns5x performa hs/fan
crucial ballistix 2x4gb sport ddr3-1333
powercolor ax7750 1GBK3-H vga
antec neo he 650r
Samsung 840 EVo SSD 120 GB
toshiba 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
seagate 1TB HDD 64M cache sata3
hitachi 2TB HDD 64M cache sata3
lg wh14ns40 bd burner
optiarc ad-7240s sata dvdrw (nec chipset)
bdub
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Wed May 29, 2013 5:27 am

Every CPU is tested individually before being given a rating. If a core or cache memory is not up to maximum performance, then a "lockout" process is done to the specific circuit to either disable or restrain it. The core(s) of a CPU may be identical among several models, but the cache memory may have problems.. and the CPU is thus rated according to its maximum guaranteed performance. Same if a single core is not ideal in status. You may have a quad-core CPU, but only two cores are active.
Unlocking any CPU has hazards. Mainly cache memory paging failure, or mutant circuits that affect other operational factors. The CPU core may be perfectly stable at higher than 3 GHz, but the cache memory falters at 2.5 GHz or so.. that is the final rating.
Yes, you may invalidate any warranties on a CPU if you "unlock" it. Do so at your own risk.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

hardware envy sucks

Postby Mac29 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:24 am

Evasive – as far as a budget l figure $170 for G2020, cheap mobo and ram less selling this system and my Athlon II X3
might be less that $100 out of pocket. If I can sell the Phenom system.

Bdub - I’m sure I could find the stepping code off the Athlon if I unpackage it, gotta think something will read it off the Phenom/otherwise find.
Got the Athlon because it’s supposed to be a great chip and three cores would be enough for me. I could also drop that in any new mobo and
sell the Phenom as is.

Karlsweldt - Understood that before but I thought you stood a 50/50 chance and also that you could ‘lock’ it again.

May just go for the Ivy and sell everything else I have lying around here.
Thanks much for the replies bursches/hombres.
Mac29
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Karlsweldt » Thu May 30, 2013 7:39 am

There are many diagnostics programs that can reveal the true ID of a CPU, GPU or other computer feature. Aida 64 from www.aida64.com , Belarc Advisor from www.SoftDLS.com/Belarc-Advisor , Sisoft Sandra from www.sisoftware.net and others. Some are freeware, others have a free trial period. CPU-Z is a basic diagnostics program, but does have decent features.. www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
The AMD CPU line has a different form of ID than Intel CPU classes.. refer to this link.
With most CPU dies, the ID string is on the top of the body, typically near an edge. Intel does mark some CPU classes this way, but the heat spreader cap would be the primary site to find markings.
Intel does have a free, small program to ID its processor family quickly.. http://www.intel.com/support/processors ... 014921.htm

As to "chances" of unlocking a CPU, depends on your expertise of having done so before. Some models may have external solder tabs to set ratings, others have internal tabs that have been cut to limit performance. 50/50 chance at undoing the process? Maybe, but more of a 75% chance you cannot revert to the previous status due to unseen internal damage. You take your chances. Older model CPUs with external memory controllers had a better chance for "revival". But with the memory controller on the CPU die itself, requiring lower voltages from a shared power source, it can easily be damaged.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations