ASUS X53U processor upgrade

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

ASUS X53U processor upgrade

Postby alexish5 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:04 am

Hi all, I am currently using an ASUS X53U but at times it runs slowly and it can struggle to keep up with games as simple as Football Manager 2013. Because of this I'm interested in upgrading the processor as it seems you can get a significantly more powerful processor relatively cheaply (I used the Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 Processor, 2.5 GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, LGA775 as a reference point). The processor currently in my laptop is an AMD Brazos Dual Core E450 1.65GHz so I was wondering A.) Is my CPU soldered to the motherboard or not? and B.) Can anyone recommend some fairly inexpensive processors that would be compatible?

Thanks in advance, Alex
alexish5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Thu May 16, 2013 5:31 am

A) soldered to the board
B) irrelevant then. sorry.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:52 am

best options for improving performance:
replace that 5400rpm drive with a solid state and up your ram to the max available

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby evasive » Thu May 16, 2013 1:49 pm

with a HD6250 integrated GPU I'd ditch the laptop for a new laptop with a decent graphics solution. This thing is designed for light office work, not gaming... And yes, double your budget...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby alexish5 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:55 am

Hi thanks for your replies. It's a shame it's soldered.

I'm not looking for a specific gaming PC, just something a bit more powerful so I can play Football Manager 2013 without it "not responding" every 5 minutes.

I guess the next option is over clocking, other than vaguely knowing what it is I'm clueless about it. Is it A.) Easy? and B.) Safe to do?

Finally, I have been recommended "brazostweaker", any opinions on that?

Thanks guys,
Alex
alexish5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby alexish5 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:20 am

Sorry I didn't see your reply Roach.

Would a solid state drive be pretty expensive? Although upping my ram sounds promising, I currently has 6gb memory so what sort of level would I be able to take it to? And would that require? New memory cards?

Thanks,
Alex
alexish5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby alexish5 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:53 am

Something else that may be of interest/assistance to anyone trying to help is my Windows experience index scores, the first number is in March last year and the second number is the data from when I just ran it. Odd that some have gone up.

Processor: 3.9 - 3.9
RAM: 5.7 - 5.7
Graphics: 4.2 - 4.4
Gaming graphics: 5.7 - 5.8
Primary hard disk: 5.9 - 5.9
alexish5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Roach412 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:14 am

alexish5 wrote:Something else that may be of interest/assistance to anyone trying to help is my Windows experience index scores, the first number is in March last year and the second number is the data from when I just ran it. Odd that some have gone up.9

better/improved drivers will improve your graphics scores pretty easily actually.

a solid state drive is relatively inexpensive - depending on your a) budget b) size requirements.

i run with two 128gb drives on my desktop and have plenty of room, but i don't store any pictures, movies, etc on it. that's all offloaded to externals. all i have on my SSDs is: windows, steam, origin, 4 or 5 steam games, 2 or 3 origin games + misc tools/apps.

i thought those laptops came with only 3gb pre-installed, so you must have either upgraded at purchase or later? either way, at 6gb you should be fine.

as for overclocking - laptops are (for the most part) not good for that. their components are generally not designed to handle anything more than their stock capabilities - and you run the added difficulty that the thing is all packed into as small of a container as possible. so, more than likely you'd end up damaging something and wearing it out faster.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset
DBPOWER RGB LED Keyboard
Logitech G402 Hyperion Fury
Roach412
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Fri May 17, 2013 7:24 am

Microsoft®, like many other data-centered organizations, prefer all computers (or laptops) to be optimized for best performance. The thinking of these "bit-brains" is that everyone has those features! Yet the majority of the public has lesser-quality computers.. leading to degraded scores of computing power.
Laptops were never intended for intensive gaming needs.. unless you spend several thousand dollars for one. Yet you can get decent performance from models costing less than 600 dollars.
Read the specs sheet of any computer product (or other) you intend on purchasing. If, with a laptop or computer, it is noted the CPU is soldered on-board, pass it by. Very few upgrades possible, perhaps only memory or hard drive. If you want something outstanding in a laptop for gaming, look to the Sager line where you can custom-build your own laptop to your needs. And it will last for years, without obsolescence!

As with any computer type, having the least background activity means better performance. Too many systems load up the OS and memory with needless programming, causing sluggishness. Should be no more than six active icons in the SysTray box.. plus the time. Set unneeded programming as "on-demand" only, not to launch needlessly on every power up. Instant-messaging and 'finder' programs are the most notorious! And do you really need an 'office' or 'word' program lurking in the background, hogging data cycles?
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations