New computer build

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

New computer build

Postby bluesforsalvador » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:54 am

Hey all,

I got some really good help here when I bought my computer a few months ago and I thought that I could help my friend out by posting what he is thinking about getting too.

It seems to me that money isn't much of an issue for him, but he could be convinced to spend less if it makes sense (for example getting an i5 vs i7 for gaming PC).

He's interested in games mostly but also in running simulations.

Here's his build:

I think the following about his build.
    *can get a better deal on RAM
    *Needs bigger SSD drive (or 2+) and/or possibly a big HDD for long term storage.
    *go with i5 processor to save $

Thanks for the help!
bluesforsalvador
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 pm

Running simulations is a bit vague. What software?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby bluesforsalvador » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 am

Matlab. I think he just needs to make sure he has enough RAM for this. Maybe i7 vs i5, but I'm not sure.

Also those programs that allow you to run computations to help an overall goal (like prime95 lets people contribute to the calculation of the next Mersenne prime number).

Thanks!
bluesforsalvador
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby AwesomeRecover » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:14 am

Get an i5 3570 and save a lot if you get it from microcenter. Also you only need 8gb of RAM. I would recommend g.skill ripjaws or even low profile ram like corsair vengeance lp. Get an msi mpower board if money is not an issue. If it is get an msi g45. I would also get an h100 or antec h20 920 or 620. I hope this helps.
AwesomeRecover
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby AwesomeRecover » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:15 am

Also get a caviar black 1tb with an ocz vertex 4 128gb. Thats plenty :D
AwesomeRecover
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby evasive » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:29 pm

MSI has not the best of reputations around here but if you had good luck in the past with them, it's fine.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Roach412 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 am

i think the 212 cooler is a good choice, i have the 212 plus and it's fantastic.

while i liked g.skills ripjaws series - one of my triple channel dimms failed about 6 months after purchase. have to deal with RMAing it, which they seem fine to work with - but i'm still going to be out of commission once i send in the kit until i get the replacement. i've never had problems with the few crucial kits i've used, but i've had the most experience with ocz, and never had any problems. all are quality options in my opinion.

8gb is probably fine for most everyone's uses. i went with 12, and probably maxed out actual usage around 7. another 2 or 3 years and 8gb will probably be too little. your choice on whether you want to bite it now or later (hint: memory is stupid cheap now).

while i'm a fan of EVGA, that board seems to have issues...i might recommend taking a lookat some other options. in terms of motherboards i've had great luck with gigabyte and msi in the past. msi has in my opinion started to slip in their quality however across the board for their components.

i've no experience with EVGA's power supplies, but i would probably error on the side of caution. more established brands/manufacturers may be a more recommended option - there's lots of recommendations on other threads for all sorts of uses.

i have 2 crucial m4 128gb SSDs and it's great. i don't use my desktop for storage though, so all that "slow" data gets stored on external drives that i can just push around either physically or through the network. otherwise, any sized drive that will suit your needs is what you should get. sometimes you can catch non-1tb drive deals that are more affordable. remember, just about everyone is getting 1tb drives now, so they don't typically drop in price.

-Roach
Lian Li Lancool First Knight Series PC-K59W
Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
EVGA X58 FTW3 132-GT-E768-TR
EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 FTW GAMING ACX 3.0
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3 x 4GB)
Crucial M4 128gb SATAIII SSD x2
Crucial M4 256gb SATAIII SSD
OCZ Saber 1000 960GB Enterprise SSD
Corsair Professional Series HX850 PSU
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM 27" w/drop ceiling mount
Logitech G930 7.1 Headset