Ditching Digital Cable Comp. for OTA HDTV???

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Ditching Digital Cable Comp. for OTA HDTV???

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:22 am

I'm currently tangled in the TWC Digital Cable / Internet mess.

There prices are ^&^*&^*^ :mad:

I currently have a Digital Cable Box with DVR in one room.
While two other tvs also have basic cable in two other rooms.
But one of those is an HDTV which receives a few extra channels the first also gets..

IE:

Room1: old tv (5+yrs) / Digital Cable Box with DVR & cable internet / wireless signal

Room2: old tv (5+yrs) connected to tv jack (basic cable channels)

Room3: HDTV (2yrs) connected to tv jack (receives some digital tv channels) & laptop receives wireless signal.

Based on my tv viewing habits I believe I can survive with the following:

Cable Internet ($60 est)
Netflix Streaming ($8)
Hulu Plus ($8)

What else would help me get rid of the TWC mess?

Is ROKU something I should get? MHL port?

Do I need a Digital Antenna (Indoor)? Multi-directional? Mohu Leaf?

Two new HDTVs are in the planning.

I can't mount anything outside because I live in an apartment building.

I don't plan on paying for tv shows. Most shows I watch are streamed online the day after they aired on tv. Or they are going off the air soon. If I like a show a lot, I'll buy the dvd sets.

Please help me with this crazy process.

Thx, :)
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Some CATV providers restrict ISP and other media to what is offered. First find out of other providers can be accessed on their network. A subscription to video services for digital set-top recorders is not all that expensive.. and you need buy only what flicks you want. But the "window" for viewing the program may expire in 48 hours or less!
Yes, the price of some features is way beyond reason.. and in order to get some desired features, you have to buy a "package" of mostly useless other features! With DSL via telephone, you are limited in data speed. But with CATV systems, there are different speed ranges and prices. Some have data limits, and you may find excessive slowing of data after that 'break-point'. With TV signals, there are many packages available.. from basic to 'all in one' that can be nice, but why have 75% of those channels on your menu if no interest in them? Better to get a 'basic' package, then add features such as movie channels or PPV.
With SATV systems, same problem and frustration. But with SATV Internet, you need a land line connection to uplink data.. unless you are authorized to have an expensive transmission disk on your premises!

Regardless of the company name, they have a form of franchise on the service available in the area. So changing companies can be a real hassle.. or not applicable.
F@H.. to solve mankind's maladies.. in our lifetimes!
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:06 pm

I'm looking to drop my Digital Cable service, while I keep my Cable Internet.

I would like to get Over The Air Digital HDTV.

I can't mount anything outside because I live in an apartment building.

What Digital Antennas (Indoor) would work?
Multi-directional? How is the Mohu Leaf? How is the Terk-HDTVa?
Do I need an antenna for each tv?

I plan on getting two new HDTVs.
Is ROKU something I should get? MHL port? Do I need more than one?
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:36 pm

For OTA (over-the air) TV signals, they must be line-of-sight.. and less than 30 miles for best reception. The TV signals now are in digital format only, no more analog signals. A TV set must have the new technology, and a new antenna for the signal bands is needed. If windows have a thin metallic film to reduce heat transfer, they will cause signal attenuation. Same if wall insulation has foil facing!
But check with the building owner or landlord about a window-sill mounting for a small dish TV setup. It may be allowed. But you need a southerly exposure! The building owner may want to look into a roof-top master setup, and get some extra income from the tenants.. albeit small.
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby BIGMAN131307 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:32 am

Karlsweldt wrote:For OTA (over-the air) TV signals, they must be line-of-sight.. and less than 30 miles for best reception.

I'm close to a couple towers. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Karlsweldt wrote:The TV signals now are in digital format only, no more analog signals. A TV set must have the new technology, and a new antenna for the signal bands is needed.

I have one HDTV right now that gets a some OTA channels. But that is without a extra antenna. So it should receive more with one. I'm going to replace my other older tvs with HDTVs with built-in Wifi.
Which antenna should I get? Do I need one for each tv?

Karlsweldt wrote:If windows have a thin metallic film to reduce heat transfer, they will cause signal attenuation. Same if wall insulation has foil facing!

Windows are a cheap coated metal. But the walls are brick.

Karlsweldt wrote:But check with the building owner or landlord about a window-sill mounting for a small dish TV setup. It may be allowed. But you need a southerly exposure! The building owner may want to look into a roof-top master setup, and get some extra income from the tenants.. albeit small.

Window-sill mounting is difinately out. Southernly exposure is easy. As for a roof-top master setup, that's a laugh. This building owner
overcharges for laundry facilities that barely work. Any "improvements" would cost an arm and a leg.
BIGMAN131307
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Karlsweldt » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:41 am

Yes, some landlords are interested in keeping a building "up to code" minimally.. and no more!
As to having each TV with its own antenna, could be a bit of an eyesore. There are offers of small "master" antenna setups, which can send signals to several sets.. maybe 4 or 5 at the most, using standard RF cable. There also are wireless devices, but if there is a lot of wireless traffic, signals may not be the cleanest. Check this link for info.. http://www.starkelectronic.com/cmatv.htm . Even the local Rad Shack should have something you can put together.. a decent indoor antenna, and a small distribution amp.
An MATV setup receives all signals within its design and range, unlike SATV, which requires a set-top box for each TV.
TV stations usually group transmitters in one sector.. to keep them secure against trespassers, and to avoid excess RFI fields that can cause health problems. The typical TV transmitter sends out around 10,000 watts of RF energy! RF tower radiation hazards:
Karlsweldt
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Recommendations