The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:57 am 
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Quote:
I mean why would you have removed those when getting the board out?
Well I have had times where the screw stays in the standoff and the standoff gets unscrewed from the backplate versus from the standoff. But you would notice the standoff on the backside. just saying

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:44 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

From looking at those photos of your case, the motherboard mounts are stamped "dimples" that conform to a specific design of motherboard. They are formed so that a minimal area contacts only the solder rings on the bottom of the board. Should be no need for 'risers' to mount the board. If in doubt, lay a ruler across the tops of the dimples. There should be minimum 1/4" spacing to the plate surface. If you add 'risers' to mount the motherboard, that may throw off the alignment of the back plate ports. You could use red fiber washers (one per screw) on the bottom of the motherboard. But that is all. To keep the fiber washer in place when installing, use a bit of transparent tape (Mystic, for example) to hold the washers in place on the mount.
Most other case designs would have a flat plate, with several threaded screw holes to mount stand-offs or risers for mounting various motherboard models. Some designs use clip-in risers.
Only a motherboard that has solder rings top and bottom of the motherboard at mounting holes should be used. It must match your case design! Where a board edge does not mate to a mount hole, some additional support may be needed. The old-fashioned push-in nylon stand-offs can be used. Just clip off the bottom part that would have gone into a mounting plate slot (the smaller part of the base).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:24 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

here are some pics of the board in the case.
http://i50.tinypic.com/oftuu1.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/sc9c00.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/swg0o0.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/1ektqb.jpg

I checked the case and measured the highth of the standoffs, and they measured 9/32" which is over 1/4" by 1/32".

I have installed the board in the case and used the fiber washers (one over and one under the board) to screw the board down securely. there should be no electrical contact between the board and case at this time. I was unable to use the back plate. it kept messing up the fiber washers. if I determine that the fiber washers are not needed, I will use the back plate. right now I am at a 'wait and see' point in time.

I did also inspect underneath the board with a flashlight (I was very fortunate to be able to do so) and I could easily see that no part of the board even comes close to touching the case. there is plenty of clearance.

now I am deciding which ram and processor to use.

the ram crucial's configurator recommends is DDR3 PC3-12800 with timing of 9-9-9-24, but the manual that came with the board doesn't mention timing at all.
all the manual says is DDR3 240-pin 1.5V. it also says DDR3 2667*(OC)/ 2400*(OC)/ 2133*(OC)/ 1866*(OC)/ 1600/ 1333/ 1066 DRAM. I don't intend to overclock, so am I to assume that the best ram for me is 1600? what does the '1600' mean?
why would crucial say 9-9-9-24 and MSI say nothing? I want the optimum timing for my board.

for processor the manual says '3rd generation Intel Core i7/core i5/core i3/core pentium/ celeron processors in a LGA 1155 socket'. does this mean all of these processors will work with this board?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge ... tecture%29

the last I looked, an i3 could be purchased for around $110

what I have for a power supply is a corsair TX750. should this work?

thanks for the replies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:18 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Power supply: fine :)

Fiber washers: only on the board, not under the board. The metal area around the holes in the board is meant to make contact with the casing.

CPUs supported: this information is online on the MSI website

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/Z77MA-G45 ... CPUSupport

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:52 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

'Fiber washers: only on the board, not under the board'
thanks evasive, I corrected it.

I purchased a processor. it's not top of the line, but as far as bang-for-the-buck, it does quite well.

i3-2120 BX80623I32120

tigerdirect had it for $100.

I am concerned that I won't be able to use the 1600 memory that I planned on using. I read a review somewhere (I think it was newegg) that the processor has to be ivy bridge to use 1600 and the i3-2120 BX80623I32120 is sandy bridge. Am I incorrect in this assumption?

I want to make certain the ram I can use before purchasing it.

thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:01 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

under the support/test report, memory you can find what modules work. you can put in 1600s they just will run at 1333

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:46 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

For all types of system memory, they are tested at the factory for maximum stability at the highest speed. Then the rating is put on.
For use with a 'standard' setup with no need of over-clocking, use premium-grade memory. More reliable than "value" graded memory, but that too should not cause problems if the bus speeds are at or below the memory ratings. For over-clocking needs, higher speed modules are required. Higher speed modules will usually always clock down in speed with no problems. You cannot reliably run memory above its rated speed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:46 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

then it looks like it is still a good idea to go with 1600 ram.

I thought I was doing a real smart thing going with that processor. I didn't realize that I was excluding myself from 1600 speed. will this also keep me from usb 3.0 capability?

thanks for the reply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:08 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

The higher-speed memory will have more "headroom" to run faster, if ever required. But will page precisely at lower speeds than rated.
As to USB 3 features, no connection to system memory. It is a separate feature, and will not be affected. With the USB standards, newer issues of USB controllers/ports must be backward-compatible to older devices. But the off-system devices (flash memory, drives) may not be. A newer USB 3.0 flash memory or drive may not be recognized by older USB 1 or USB 2 controllers.
You only get the maximum data speed if the devices and controllers are of the same newer standard. You may have to check the BIOS pages for an 'enable' control line for the USB feature. The latest OS issues should fully cover USB 3.0 standards, but older OS issues may need an update patch.
Don't fall for that sales pitch about cables! An older USB cable will work on all standards! For USB hubs, yes they must meet newer standards to be fully utilized. An older USB 1.0 standard hub might not pass the higher data rates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:18 pm 
Initiate
Initiate

As to USB 3 features, no connection to system memory. It is a separate feature, and will not be affected.
I get usb3 speed with this processor. yeeha!

With the USB standards, newer issues of USB controllers/ports must be backward-compatible to older devices. But the off-system devices (flash memory, drives) may not be.
my new 3.0 flash drive may not work/be recognized by my older computers (with 2.0), but my 2.0 flash drives are likely to work with this new board/system (just not achieve 3.0 speed because of the flash drives limited speed).

You may have to check the BIOS pages for an 'enable' control line for the USB feature.
the bios that this board provides gets good reviews from most people. apparently it is 'mouse-friendly'.

The latest OS issues should fully cover USB 3.0 standards, but older OS issues may need an update patch.
I am pretty confident that most linux's deliver 3.0 capability, and windows 8 and 7 (I don't have vista), but I wonder about xp, whether or not xp can give you 3.0 speed.

Don't fall for that sales pitch about cables! An older USB cable will work on all standards! For USB hubs, yes they must meet newer standards to be fully utilized.
I use external hard drives most of the time. I sure hope THEY can transfer at 3.0 speed, or I am going to end up using a 3.0 flash drive most of the time.

An older USB 1.0 standard hub might not pass the higher data rates.
I doubt it will.

I am also looking a little in the future, and if everything is going according to plan, getting something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... Mgodc1QAmQ

I would like some 3.0 jacks on the front of the computer. this could do this, I hope.

I asked earlier about the memory timing. crucial recommends 9-9-9-24. I don't know what this means. MSI doesn't mention anything about this. should I be trying to get 9-9-9-24, or should I disregard this?

as of right now I am waiting for the i3 processor to be delivered.

thanks for the reply Karlsweldt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next