The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:12 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I'm planing to buy a dual processor motherboard and the processors i'm planning to buy is two core i7 extreme desktop processors and Corsair Dominator DDR3 6gb kit or 12gb kit and 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 and nvidia GeForce 8800 Ultra.So which motheboard should i buy for the above.should i by crosair dominator or kingston.Please help me buy the best dual proccessor motherboard which supports good overclocking

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:18 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

You're going about it half-backwards. You pick the motherboard BEFORE the RAM, not all boards support all RAM.

Currently (and I don't believe ever) there are no dual i7 boards. The processor does not support a dual configuration. You need a pair of Xeons and a server board for that. Right now, the only LGA1366 Xeons supported in a dual processor configuration are the 5500 and 5600 series processors.

Repeat...........consumer Core i7 processors WILL NOT run in a dual processor board.

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 am 
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Hmm as stated above there are no Dual processor capable boards for the new i series... Are you looking for Dual Core compatable?

Whats the buget?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:53 pm 
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Dual cpu boards are for servers and aren't designed for overclocking. Get a regular board with the fastest core i7 you can afford. Microcenter had the 930 for $199 recently. I use the lowly i3 530 and it's plenty fast. Very impressive for $100 plus a free board from frys.

Post subject: thanx guys
PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:13 pm 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I saw a video on utube n there the guy used 2 core i7 extreme processors in a motherboard thatz y i asked the question.MY budget 4 the board is <$1000 n im planing to buy ASUS Striker II extreme motherboard n one more thing Intel D5400XS(skultrail) does it support dual i7 an article says that ASUS Z8NA Dual socket i7 supports 2 i7 processors pls help me to choose one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:10 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813131378

That one? Xeon only.

CPU support list here:

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=k81cpN8uEB01BpQ6

No i7's. As I said, the i7 does NOT support dual processor configurations. As to whether somebody tweaked things to get a pair working, I can't comment, but it's not something I'd mess with, especially with a pair of $1000 processors. Aside from that, nothing outside of a server environment natively uses dual CPU's, there's zero point to doing that for a gaming rig in the first place. If you're wanting the speed and reliable performance out of a dual proc setup, stick with what's supported.

Two wrongs don't make it right, but I sleep pretty good at night

Post subject: Re: thanx guys
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 6:48 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

zortane wrote:
I saw a video on utube n there the guy used 2 core i7 extreme processors in a motherboard thatz y i asked the question.

email or PM me that link for verification.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:47 am 
Anti-Static Strap
Anti-Static Strap

In more detail there was a Intel D5400XS skulltrail but it never ran two i7's. Guy is full of crap. The only CPU designed for it was a Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9775 LGA771 CPU BX80574QX9775, 3.20 GHz, 1600FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm. It didn't last long on the market because it was not cost effective and the i7 1366 was around the corner. I think the board and two CPUs would put you back around $3700.

If your looking two spend that kind of money a Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz 6 x 256KB L2 Cache 12MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor, a good 1366 board, and 12GB of ram is cheaper than the above. That's even if you could find the above components.