NForce2 chip motherboard-worth getting?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby Verdino » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:24 am

seems like a very cool board (A7N8x) Anyone know the Max amount of ram it can hold?

Verdino
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Valour » Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:49 am

Verdino wrote: seems like a very cool board (A7N8x) Anyone know the Max amount of ram it can hold?

Well since it's dual-channel, it works best with two sticks of DDR333... that would mean that the functional ceiling right now is 1GB. If you use the third slot you could put either a 256 ir a 512 in there... I don't know which.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby Johnny Mnemonic » Fri Nov 15, 2002 11:13 am

Johnny Mnemonic
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Postby tannji » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:12 am

k, i am a dedicated nforce user now, and am about to upgrade to the A7N8x... i have heard the audigy and the older nforce audio side by side, nforce won, not to mention that the nforce sound uses far less cpu cycles than the audigy. 333ddr is the way to go unless you are going to get an nforce2 with onboard video, in which case use high quality ddr400, and tweak. i recommend using agp card. on board dual nics (very nice!) and firewire use hyper transport, instead of the clunky pci bus. can you appreciate 800mb/sec capability? = ) the onboard nics perform in the same range as the most expensive pci nics on the market (intel) but once again, use a fraction of the cpu cycles. if you add no pci cards, you install two drivers when building nvidia's unified driver for the mobo (UDP) and your graphics driver. done! except for the lenthy updating and fixing of pick-your-MS-flavor. congrats! you now have a machine that will cost significantly less than a high end P4 machine, and in many areas, out-perform intel. intel still has a growing lead in content creation.... but most content creaters seem to buy oem, for some reason.... hope this helped somewhat.... please dont tell anyone im biased towards nforce...... truth hurts!!! lol

tannji
tannji
Initiate
Initiate

Postby tannji » Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:15 am

BTW, there are a LOT of reviews out there, and tons of very savy support for the nforce boards, all manufacturers.... the nforcershq forum is kinda a one stop shop for this topic.... not that i dont read mobo.org a ton as well!

tannji
tannji
Initiate
Initiate

Postby Valour » Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:19 pm

tannji wrote:k, i am a dedicated nforce user now, and am about to upgrade to the A7N8x... i have heard the audigy and the older nforce audio side by side, nforce won, not to mention that the nforce sound uses far less cpu cycles than the audigy. 333ddr is the way to go unless you are going to get an nforce2 with onboard video, in which case use high quality ddr400, and tweak. i recommend using agp card. on board dual nics (very nice!) and firewire use hyper transport, instead of the clunky pci bus. can you appreciate 800mb/sec capability? = ) the onboard nics perform in the same range as the most expensive pci nics on the market (intel) but once again, use a fraction of the cpu cycles. if you add no pci cards, you install two drivers when building nvidia's unified driver for the mobo (UDP) and your graphics driver. done! except for the lenthy updating and fixing of pick-your-MS-flavor. congrats! you now have a machine that will cost significantly less than a high end P4 machine, and in many areas, out-perform intel. intel still has a growing lead in content creation.... but most content creaters seem to buy oem, for some reason.... hope this helped somewhat.... please dont tell anyone im biased towards nforce...... truth hurts!!! lol

tannji

The A7N8X is a very, very nice board, but it is just as expensive as a P4PE and doesn't even come close to getting the same memory bandwidth as the P4PE or P4S8X. It's not any cheaper unless you lowball the CPU, which you can always do with an AMD and still get decent performance.

Our AMD rep got laid off. :cry: They are really hurting if they're laying off their sales force...

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby IanZ28 » Sun Nov 17, 2002 1:58 am

Great.....just what we need. Another microsoft in the form of Intel.
IanZ28
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Previous

Return to Recommendations