NForce2 chip motherboard-worth getting?

Not sure what to buy? Ask here for some free advice.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

NForce2 chip motherboard-worth getting?

Postby banny » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:07 pm

I am upgrading my computer to an AMD Athlon and was about to plump for a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP or MSI KT4 Ultra or ASUS A7V8X (using KT400 chipsets).

But, I have read that the NForce2 would be a better bet (eg ASUS A7N8X) and that DDR400 is no longer supported.

Which would be the best option?

Any drawbacks, such as expensive RAM?

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
banny
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Valour » Wed Nov 13, 2002 1:37 pm

The A7N8X is a far, far better option than any of the VIA chipset-based boards.

I have no idea what you're talking about in regards to DDR400. In fact I have a spec sheet provided to me this morning by the Nvidia rep, and it says in big bold letters that it supports DDR400.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby IanZ28 » Wed Nov 13, 2002 2:38 pm

I think what you are referring to is that DDR400 has not yet received an approval from JEDEC. (sets the standards for the semiconductor industry)

basically the DDR400 ram is ahead of the game in system performance and the processors can't keep up. AMD just released their 166mhz front side bus CPU's (2700+, 2800+) which equal the pc2700 ram.

......just buy the cheaper ram as there is no performance gain in getting the DDR400 at this time. ie.....pc2700 DDR333

an article that discusses AMD, JEDEC and DDR400
http://www.ebnews.com/story/OEG20020927S0052
IanZ28
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby banny » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:11 am

I'm confusing ddr400 with KT400. I (think) I read that the KT400 chipset was unstable and a new version KT400A was coming out next year.
banny
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby sirchone » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:38 am

Be aware that the nforce2 boards have sync/async modes. From what I gather it runs faster and better if the bus speeds of the memory and CPU match. I may have misiread this and If so, someone here will correct me(Valour, JohnCD ect.). That would mean that a CPU front bus of 266 and memory front bus of 266 would be better than 400ddr memory with a 266 Fsb CPU. But like I said, I may be mistaken.
sirchone
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Valour » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:56 am

sirchone wrote:Be aware that the nforce2 boards have sync/async modes. From what I gather it runs faster and better if the bus speeds of the memory and CPU match. I may have misiread this and If so, someone here will correct me(Valour, JohnCD ect.). That would mean that a CPU front bus of 266 and memory front bus of 266 would be better than 400ddr memory with a 266 Fsb CPU. But like I said, I may be mistaken.

The A7N8X will work best with DDR333 regardless of which CPU you use. It'll run faster with a 333FSB processor though, you're right about that. DDR400 would be a waste of money on this board, and DDR266 would be insufficient for maximum memory bandwidth. According to Nvidia, the nForce2 has twice the memory bandwidth of the extremely crappy VIA KT400.
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

A7N8X

Postby Valour » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:05 pm

Looks like it's the best AMD board you can buy right now... it still doesn't beat Rambus 800 (like the P4S8X and P4PE do), and in fact it doesn't even really come all that close to it. It does blow the doors off of the KT400 boards though.

The A7N8X is the only decent choice for a new AMD motherboard... the onboard sound is supposed to be on par with the Audigy2, it works well with DDR333 (don't even bother with 400), dual LAN (but no gigabit LAN), and it looks like it will take SATA devices without putting them in a RAID array. I can't confirm this because I have no SATA devices, but that's what it looks like.

-Jem

EDIT: The boss says he just shipped an A7N8X overnight to motherboards.org for a review, along with a P4PE. Apparently Doc Overclock is finally getting around to reviewing the P4T533 as well.

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Postby IanZ28 » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:20 pm

Valour.......please explain to me why the soyo kt400 board (via) is supposedly so much worse than the asus board.

Every review I have read......pcworld, tomsharddrive among others either rated it the best board.....or the second best board for AMD. When I look at all the test the speed comparisons are very mild indeed.

MSI coming in third on most of these.

Please keep in mind. I'm not a hard core overclocker so I don't even care about a bios that that allows me to tweek by 5 hundredths of a volt.

If I wind up overclocking anything it will only be a mild overclock.

My system is solid as a rock and test as I would expect in sysmark and 3d2001.
IanZ28
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Postby Valour » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:18 pm

IanZ28 wrote:Valour.......please explain to me why the soyo kt400 board (via) is supposedly so much worse than the asus board.

Every review I have read......pcworld, tomsharddrive among others either rated it the best board.....or the second best board for AMD. When I look at all the test the speed comparisons are very mild indeed.

Very simple answer: No one has reviewed the A7N8X yet, because it just came out. Once it is reviewed, it will dominate the AMD charts for performance and features... there is no contest between the nForce2 and the KT400.

-Jem

Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Actually they have reviewed it

Postby jilverthor » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:01 pm

Tomshardware has a review. It is in fact faster than the A7V8X, but not that much really. You should all head over there and look at it, very interesting. They reviewed that and a couple of other NF2 boards. Enjoy
jilverthor
Initiate
Initiate

Next

Return to Recommendations