The Mother Board

Motherboards.org forums. Free tech support, motherboard ID, and more.
It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need new HD
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:55 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I had my Gaming PC diagnosed as I was having issues. They told me it is a Bad HD. Need to find a 2TB that is compatible with my mother board GigaByte GA-H270-HD3
Looking for suggestions on best one

Post subject: Re: Need new HD
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:59 am 
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Second opinion required! Service shops (not all) will want you to replace components or upgrade when only minor maintenance or a new driver is needed. Most store techs work on commission sales.
First, how old is the hard drive, and how many hours use? Most mechanical hard drives last in excess of 100,000 hours before failing. Early SSD type drives did have a limited life span, but newer types have a much longer life span.
Best to first do a diagnostics on the drive, with a program like Seagate® SeaTools® that can work on almost any hard drive type. https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/
Any minor problems might be corrected, and the drive is good for more use. But once bad sectors start forming, then the drive is ready to totally crash. As to best brand to get, do a search for "top 10" in that category.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:12 pm 
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

rayder43 wrote:
I had my Gaming PC diagnosed as I was having issues. They told me it is a Bad HD. Need to find a 2TB that is compatible with my mother board GigaByte GA-H270-HD3
Looking for suggestions on best one

Hi, welcome to the forum. Bad idea these days to put an operating system on such a large drive. If you are running windows, not SteamOS, get them to install if you cannot do it, windows on an SSD, then put a 2TB in for running everything else on. Seagate are OK, but I have had a few failures with them. Avoid WD Greens, unless you are using them in a PC for storage. WD Blue and blacks are a good investment as are Hitachi's (I have a 1Tb Hitachi running in my main system as a backup drive for 6 years - oldest file created in 2012). Karl is right, get a second opinion, it may save you some $$$.

Yet to some people I still know nothing...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 am 
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

I'm currently using a Western Digital Red which is highly rated when it comes to reliability. You can do a search on reliability as they all have a fail rate. hope that helps