Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I buy Vista?

Yes - You can't live without it
13%
No - It's a heap of crap
87%

Total votes: 38

Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Post by Daft Ada »

I used Vista through its BETA1 and RC1 phase and for me personally I couldn't see anything that exceeds XP.

"It's more secure". Well this can be said about all versions of Windows and I would expect improvements by default, but surely any outstanding problems with XP will be covered in SP3 next year.

"DirectX 10". I like games but I would never change an operating-system just for that.

"Sharing photos and videos". I really couldn't care less!

The one question that I need to ask is about HDCP/DRM. Is Vista the saviour or the destroyer in this regard? I mean, do I need compliant hardware to view HD content on XP. Would I able to use XP at all for HD content?

I honestly haven't noticed anything else. Am I overlooking all the goodies? :?

Here is the official link from M$ on the features of Vista:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... fault.mspx

Sorry to be a sceptic, but looking through it all, how many times does M$ need to mention the "Photo Gallery" in order to make it Vista sound worthwhile? :roll:

I cannot see one single reason for me to spend £120 on an OEM version of Ultimate Vista. FFS the retail box is £350 :o
Black Wolf
Black Belt 5th Degree
Black Belt 5th Degree

Post by Black Wolf »

Nope not buying it.
[img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs371.snc4/45429_1577314239298_1428885949_31556963_6019009_n.jpg[/img]
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Daft Ada »

Black Wolf wrote:Nope not buying it.

To me it really does just look like XP with a more advanced UI. Which I can't get excited about at all. :)
RockyAMD
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by RockyAMD »

After going to best buy and seeing for myself how it ran. Vista looks great, from fading, aero glass, etc. but as a performance stand point i am not getting as of right now. When i was at the store, i started opening up numerous folders, every once in a while it would take like 10 seconds to load the folder (it was on a AMD 5200+, 2gb ram)
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 3.8ghz
8800 GTS 640MB
Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3R
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Daft Ada »

RockyAMD wrote:After going to best buy and seeing for myself how it ran. Vista looks great, from fading, aero glass, etc. but as a performance stand point i am not getting as of right now. When i was at the store, i started opening up numerous folders, every once in a while it would take like 10 seconds to load the folder (it was on a AMD 5200+, 2gb ram)
Funny to mention speed. One huge selling point M$ is touting is the idea it shuts down in 2 seconds i.e. it kills all running processes faster but safer and can be off in 2 seconds. This is total crap, I've never seen it done on numerous machines.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

It only shuts down in 2 seconds when your CPU is so hogged it's overheating e.g. after you opened your second window... :roll:
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
OldPhatDad
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by OldPhatDad »

I'm not buying it. I've got XP running well and secured enough (but I only use it for games and Linux for everything else, anyway). If it comes to the point that I need to get Vista in order to play new games, well I guess I won't play new games.

Vista looks nice, but I can get a nice looking OS with some good eye candy with a free Linux distro, so why would I shell out a couple hundred bucks for that? Not to mention the decreased functionality of DRM...

I voted no, although I don't know if I'd categorize Vista as a 'heap of crap'... yet.
Antec Nine Hundred
Intel C2D E6750 @ 3.6 Ghz
Gigabyte P35 DS3L
Mushkin Redlines 2 x2GB kit
EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 896 MB
WD 250 GB SATA2
Seagate 160 GB SATA
WD 500 GB SATA2
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
PC P&C Silencer 750W
Windows XP SP3
Sabrewings
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by Sabrewings »

No...
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sabrewings/random%20stuff/mobosig52.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/sabrewings/fft.gif[/img]
[url=http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/][b]RIAA vs The People[/b][/url]
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Daft Ada »

I sincerely hope no M$ engineers read this thread :o

:lol: :lol: :lol:
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

Any Linux programmers out there willing to make Aero look like child's play and do a real good 3D animation with the desktop windows?
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...