Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I buy Vista?

Yes - You can't live without it
13%
No - It's a heap of crap
87%

Total votes: 38

joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

colinJohn wrote:
joshvee wrote:colinJohn, just because a computer is brand new does not make it Vista 64 bit ready. Hell there are plenty of brand new computers that won’t even run Vista 32 bit due to older hardware/software, which is still being manufactured and is still in retail shop shelves.
I agree, but the label 'Vista Ready' on the laptop should be some sort of clue don't you think?
I only have 1 thing to ask about that. Did Microsoft place the sticker on the laptop??
If not, then why blame Microsoft?

Also did the sticker say that all your friends outdated programs would run on Vista? or did it just say that Vista will run on this computer.

My company places the Vista ready stickers on the computers that we build. My company and my company alone is responsible for making sure that the computer truly is Vista ready.
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/joshvee2/AlienSig.jpg[/img]
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

Give up Josh; it doesn't matter who's to blame - the world is obviously not quite ready for Vista yet ;-)

My dad told me never to buy a mark I version of anything. Should have listened.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

colinJohn wrote:Give up Josh; it doesn't matter who's to blame - the world is obviously not quite ready for Vista yet ;-)

My dad told me never to buy a mark I version of anything. Should have listened.
Lol first of all I have nothing to give up. I am stating facts not opinions. If you cant see those facts then there is no point discussing them further.
Secondly for a world that is not ready for vista, they are selling pretty damn well. :lol:
My company has so far sold 37 computers with vista installed. Not 1 has returned with a problem. This is because I did my homework and made sure everything in the computers, including the software, is Vista ready.
It's not our fault that you can’t get your computers running properly, nor is it Vistas fault. However it IS Vistas fault that the upgrade bit doesn't work the way we think it should. They should be more clear on how their upgrade system works.

On that note, one problem I have found is in the upgrading. It just doesn't work the way we think "upgrading" should. You can only seem to upgrade from 1 version of Vista to another smoothly if at all. The old upgrading from 98/2000 to XP method where all your programs and files are left intact does not seem to apply.
(WARNING MY OPINION AHEAD) This could be because currently, the Vista "upgrade" system may only be for licensing and therefore pricing purposes. If you have XP, you pay less for a vista "upgrade" version compared to a full version and it will ask you at some stage to prove that you have a previous version of XP. This is what they may mean by "upgrade" We all just assume that Vistas "upgrade" method will be the same as previous OSs. Now weather this is due to a problem or whether they planned it this way, who knows.

Finally colinJohn, who are you to tell me to give up anything. You can't seem to rebut my points so you just tell me to give up? hehe B4 you tell ME to give up, might I point out that you purchased Vista but you couldn't get it to work properly?.... I've done it 40 times. :P
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

Have had a few returns of Vista... Exchange for XP.... Who knows why, but I guess not everyone is pleased with the MK1 full release... (like XP... :o )...
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

Mr T wrote:Have had a few returns of Vista... Exchange for XP.... Who knows why, but I guess not everyone is pleased with the MK1 full release... (like XP... :o )...
Do you sell Vista alone? Or with computers that you build? or both. If the returns are from ppl who just purchased Vista without a new computer then this is understandable.... they also didn't do their homework and have incompatible software or hardware that they just cant live without I guess.

I don’t sell Vista on its own.

You also may just get ppl who don't like it because it's different and they are so used to XP. I haven't had any of those ppl yet but I'm sure I will get them sooner or later.... maybe you do alot more business than me and therefor sell alot more Vistas Mr T. :wink:
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Post by Mr T »

All sold with new systems, have the ones that have been replaced with XP... I guess there are people who don't like it..... :?
I have been programming on computers since the ZX81.
I am an apprentice trained Electronics Engineer with qualifications to back it up.
I have been repairing computers since 1996.
Yet to some people I still know nothing...
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

Mr T wrote:All sold with new systems, have the ones that have been replaced with XP... I guess there are people who don't like it..... :?
I guess so. That or they tried to install incompatible software after they got the computer home and instead of looking for vista versions of the software, gave up, or decided it was too expensive to do so.

Either way it is still not a problem with Vista.

And I guess thats the whole point im trying to make. Vista itself, works just fine. It's incompatible software and drivers that are letting it down.
Which is the fault of the manufacturers of that software/drivers for not being ready when there was plenty of time to do so.

Same thing happened with XP. In fact when XP was first released, it was truely bugged and didn't work properly at all.... but ur all using it now 2 service packs later lol.

Lol I just had a thought..... saying Vista is rubbish and doesn't work properly because ur non Vista software/drivers dont work on it is kind of like saying Linux is rubbish and doesnt work properly coz it wont play WOW or CS :roll: :lol:
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Re: Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Post by Daft Ada »

HaloCorn wrote:
Its_Only_Me wrote:"It's more secure". Well this can be said about all versions of Windows and I would expect improvements by default, but surely any outstanding problems with XP will be covered in SP3 next year.
yeah it is really secure but thats because every single time your click something it asks if its ok to continue, sometimes it will ask that when you just move your mouse right over something
:lol: That's so true! Luckily that annoying little feature is easily turned-off :D
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

Lol I just had a thought..... saying Vista is rubbish and doesn't work properly because ur non Vista software/drivers dont work on it is kind of like saying Linux is rubbish and doesnt work properly coz it wont play WOW or CS
If you make that a Linux compatible version of WOW or Linux compatible version of CS, then you're right. The fact it won't run on any kernel beyond 2.2 was a moot point, the box says "kernel 2.0 or newer". That's the problem.

windows = windows no longer holds true.

M$ has spoilt us with their ridiculous legacy support. Now they finally made an all-new OS we expect to run all our old trash without any problem. Just like we're used to. But the "or newer" bit no longer works. You shouldn't refer to Windows Vista. Just Vista will do. It's no longer Windows...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

evasive wrote:
Lol I just had a thought..... saying Vista is rubbish and doesn't work properly because ur non Vista software/drivers dont work on it is kind of like saying Linux is rubbish and doesnt work properly coz it wont play WOW or CS
If you make that a Linux compatible version of WOW or Linux compatible version of CS, then you're right. The fact it won't run on any kernel beyond 2.2 was a moot point, the box says "kernel 2.0 or newer". That's the problem.

windows = windows no longer holds true.

M$ has spoilt us with their ridiculous legacy support. Now they finally made an all-new OS we expect to run all our old trash without any problem. Just like we're used to. But the "or newer" bit no longer works. You shouldn't refer to Windows Vista. Just Vista will do. It's no longer Windows...
Yes I agree. That really is how vista should be looked at and treated as. Mind you, many many of the old 32 bit windows compatible programs do run on Vista without any patch..... oh my god Vista is MAC :lol: :lol: