Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I buy Vista?

Yes - You can't live without it
13%
No - It's a heap of crap
87%

Total votes: 38

iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by iamwhoiamtoday »

Thank you for the heads up. Now I just need to save up $120 for Vista Home Premium. (or is it worth the extra $80 to go for Ultamite?)
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:Thank you for the heads up. Now I just need to save up $120 for Vista Home Premium. (or is it worth the extra $80 to go for Ultamite?)
Stick to Premium.

The main differences between premium and ultimate are
1)a backup and restore service
2)remote desktop connection
3)Windows BitLocker Drive Encryption

You can see all the differences here: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... hoose.mspx
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/joshvee2/AlienSig.jpg[/img]
Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Daft Ada »

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:Thank you for the heads up. Now I just need to save up $120 for Vista Home Premium. (or is it worth the extra $80 to go for Ultamite?)
M$ have been very clever in their edition dividing. If I was to ever upgrade to Vista and to be honest with Windows Fiji due out in 2008/2009 I doubt I will, I would have to go with the Ultimate. The complete backup would be a major reason for me as well as some of the Home Premium features like Media Center. I think their division of features was calculated and deliberate to force more people over to Ultimate. I think I'll wait for Fiji, by then both I and M$ will be ready for an upgrade :P
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

friend of mine just downgraded from vista 64 to vista 32 because his (brand new) laptop ran slower with it and didn't support at least 3 of his programmes
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]
HaloCorn
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Re: Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Post by HaloCorn »

Its_Only_Me wrote:"It's more secure". Well this can be said about all versions of Windows and I would expect improvements by default, but surely any outstanding problems with XP will be covered in SP3 next year.
yeah it is really secure but thats because every single time your click something it asks if its ok to continue, sometimes it will ask that when you just move your mouse right over something
GIGABYTE GA-M57SLi S4
AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
6 gigs o' Ocz reaper pc6400 (2x1gb 2x2gb)
2x Nvidia 8800GT 512MB Fact. OC'ed
3xWD 500Gb 16mb cache sata2
MX518
G15
IceMat Siberia Headset
650 W PSU
Gigabyte 3D Mars (case)
Acer AL2223W (monitor)
Windows Vista 64-Bit SP1
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

Programs and harware not working in Vista is not the fault of Vista, but the fault of the manufacturer of the software or hardware. Vista has been around long enough in 1 guise or another for manufacturers to have drives ready for Vistas launch and most manufacturers were on the ball and did indeed have them ready. But some didnt. Thats not Microsofts fault.

Nvidia cards are a good example. SLI didnt work for all series 6, 7 and 8 cards under vista when vista first came out. This is Nvidias fault not Vistas. Vista has been arround for years in some form of beta so Nvidia had no excuse not to have drivers ready for it. If you go to the Nvidia forums you wont hear them bitching about Vista being no good, you will hear them bitching about Nvidia not getting off their asses n having drivers ready in time for the vista launch.

Now somebody earlier mentioned that Nero doesnt work in vista? Nero does work in Vista. But you have to purchase the new Nero 7 vista ready version. Why didnt Nero have a free patch available for download for the standard Nero 7 ??? who knows. Greed maybe...... Is this Microsofts fault? No it's Neros fault.
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

Some of them waited for the final releases and I can't blame them. What if you had written a driver that was optimized for WinFS? You could have trashed that completely. I think having seen things like that and the M$ track record on previous OSs they wanted to minimize the risk (and the R&D costs) and waited for the retail launch. Is that M$s fault? Hardly. But that's how it works too...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

evasive wrote:Some of them waited for the final releases and I can't blame them. What if you had written a driver that was optimized for WinFS? You could have trashed that completely. I think having seen things like that and the M$ track record on previous OSs they wanted to minimize the risk (and the R&D costs) and waited for the retail launch. Is that M$s fault? Hardly. But that's how it works too...
WinFS was dumped from Vista a very long time ago and was going to be developed as a separate server OS. Then on June 22 2006 it was announced that WinFS was going to be scrapped. So even if they didn’t pay attention to MS saying it wasn't going to be part of Vista, they still had 8 months notice to develop Vista drivers.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

colinJohn wrote:friend of mine just downgraded from vista 64 to vista 32 because his (brand new) laptop ran slower with it and didn't support at least 3 of his programmes
colinJohn, just because a computer is brand new does not make it Vista 64 bit ready. Hell there are plenty of brand new computers that won’t even run Vista 32 bit due to older hardware/software, which is still being manufactured and is still in retail shop shelves.

But the point that stands out in this entire thread is something mentioned earlier. Most of you that are screaming hell and damnation against Vista are the same ppl who screamed in the same way about XP. And I agree... give it 1 or 2 years and most of you will be using Vista and will scream about the next OS from MS.

Some of you are Linux users so fair enough... you lot will never like Vista just as you don’t like XP. Hell I'd change over to Linux if it was able to do EVERYTHING that windows can do. And was as GUI user friendly, but fact is, it's not. Just remember, Linux isn't for everyone. A lot of ppl don’t want to or can't learn the necessary skills to use Linux as effectively as they can Windows. Just remember. We computer geeks/techs/enthusiasts who are able to handle Linux are in the minority in society.
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

joshvee wrote:colinJohn, just because a computer is brand new does not make it Vista 64 bit ready. Hell there are plenty of brand new computers that won’t even run Vista 32 bit due to older hardware/software, which is still being manufactured and is still in retail shop shelves.
I agree, but the label 'Vista Ready' on the laptop should be some sort of clue don't you think?
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]