Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I buy Vista?

Yes - You can't live without it
13%
No - It's a heap of crap
87%

Total votes: 38

ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

evasive wrote:HAHAHAHAHA this is ridiculous. Vista is becoming the laugh of the OS industry this way. I really hope this isn't true. No matter how many improvements under the hood, this just won't fly for the average Joe. Gimme a break...
whats not gonna fly, a vista upgrade giving the ability to to do a full install for someone who didnt pay attention to the version they bought?? i dont follow the logic here.
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

A person that bought the recommended upgrade from the Microsoft advisor. Maybe that needs ateention then.
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

evasive wrote:A person that bought the recommended upgrade from the Microsoft advisor. Maybe that needs ateention then.
if the correct info is put into the advisor, the corect version is recommended.....i checked.
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

Now you guys are annoying me as well as M$!

The upgrade advisor has no configurable settings. It scans your PC and then tells you what problems you can expect.

After the system scan this is what it says.
Windows Vista Ultimate is the most complete edition of Windows and a great choice for your PC. It combines the power, security, and mobility features you need for work, and the entertainment and simplicity you want for fun. Ultimate makes it easy to enjoy digital photos, music, TV and movies, as well as providing advanced backup, new security tools and more comprehensive networking tools. You can upgrade to Windows Vista Ultimate and keep your files, settings and programs.
System Requirements
There are no known system issues preventing you from upgrading to Windows Vista.
On the box in small print (which I read) it says
You must perform a clean install of windows Vista and then re-install your existing files, settings and programs, unless you are upgrading from Windows SP2 Home, Media Centre, or Tablet PC edition; Professional (32-bit); or any edition of Windows Vista.
I have XP Pro SP2 (32 bit) so wtf?
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]
Toby B.
Lead Mobo-fu Master
Lead Mobo-fu Master

Post by Toby B. »

What do you expect? we have one Anti-Vista person and a most wholeheartedly Pro-Vista person... :-|
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

Toby B. wrote:
What do you expect? we have one Anti-Vista person and a most wholeheartedly Pro-Vista person... :-|
i am a pro truth guy. its one thing to talk smack about a produict, but you could at least be truthfull about it or better informed. that is what pissed me off. you take someones word and find out thay have no idea what they are talking about. at first i believed it untill i started doing a little research. come to find out, alot of what has been said is bs hype.
i am simply trying to uphold the truth is all. if you dont like M$ or its products, dont use them. just because you dont like M$ or its products, doesnt mean you should lie about it just to get others to hate it as well.

collinjhon, sorry if i have annoied you. i can see how my words would have done that and i appologize. but i still say there is something you missed. aside from that, a full install will run alot better than an upgrade as i am sure you allready know.

collinjhon,
why not post a new thread about your problem and we can maybe find out what is going on for you??

AJ
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

Thanks AJ - but I'm not looking for help - I'm just ranting :x

M$ knowledge base (but not its sales literature) says that it's not possible to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit software without a clean install. I don't want to do a clean install yet (Yes, I know it's best).

Anyway, I can't upgrade or install until Netgear provide me with 64bit driver for my network back-up. (And yes I know there are other ways).

Moral: Even if you like M$ (I normally do) - wait another 6 months.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]
up2what
Green Belt
Green Belt

vista

Post by up2what »

I would say if you want to change to vista do it in 12 months after you have driver support and bugs fixed.
iamwhoiamtoday
Black Belt
Black Belt

Post by iamwhoiamtoday »

One of my friends just installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit on his computer, and it works very well. We have yet to have a problem with it. At least 3 of my friend's have gone to Vista, and it seems to be a nice, solid OS. I should be going to Vista as soon as the drivers on my 8800gts mature.
People who have gone through Starfleet academy should be taught how to fix everything. Even a Roman aqueduct.
joshvee
Black Belt 4th Degree
Black Belt 4th Degree

Post by joshvee »

iamwhoiamtoday wrote:One of my friends just installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit on his computer, and it works very well. We have yet to have a problem with it. At least 3 of my friend's have gone to Vista, and it seems to be a nice, solid OS. I should be going to Vista as soon as the drivers on my 8800gts mature.
The drivers for your 8800GTS have matured.

You can download them here....

Vista 32bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.65.html

Vista 64bit:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_100.65.html
[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b306/joshvee2/AlienSig.jpg[/img]