Vista! To buy or not to buy?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Should I buy Vista?

Yes - You can't live without it
13%
No - It's a heap of crap
87%

Total votes: 38

ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

its your doom and gloom opinion that will have you bending over and taking it.
coming soon to an over clockers dream near you:
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
3X EVGA 8800gts video cards
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
PS... im gonna break 4ghz easily....
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

Sabrewings wrote:Regardless of how you justify it, the intrusive "Big Brother" type DRM will always keep me from Vista. If I pay for something, its mine. I don't need M$ or some other company telling me what I can or can't do with it. You're guilty until proven innocent in their eyes and that's not for me.

But, hey, if you want to bend over and take it, feel free. The music industry is starting to wise up anyway and there's a growing tide to ditch DRM altogether. Maybe then I might install Vista if I can get it for a decent price. Until then, I have XP and Ubuntu.
then dont buy protected content. i sure as hell am not gonna support bluray or any crap like that. just because M$ gives you the ability to play that media type does not mean they are going to take over the world.
if you dont plan on using that media type, you will never EVER have a DRM issue....NEVER!!!
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

DRM is already hacked.

Anyhoo, my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate arrived today for a mere £240. A real snip.

It is marked "Upgrade"

So my experiences so far:

1. It doesn't upgrade. My plan was to do an upgrade install from XP Pro SP2 so I didn't have to faff around for a day re-installing all my software and files - then do a clean install in 12 months time when all the worst bugs were fixed.

But it won't do an upgrade - it's trying to force me into a clean install.

2. My network attached storage device (Netgear Zetera) doesn't support Vista. So all my back-up files now and future won't work.

So install is now on hold.

Nice box tho'. Round corners and everything.
"that's some catch that Catch 22"
"It's the best that there is"

[img]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/5757/largermasterpiece.jpg[/img]
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

@ 2: They say so in the technical specs of that SC-101
http://www.netgear.com/Products/Storage ... quirements

2000 or XP, no Vista. However:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101649.asp

says Vista support for the SC-101 will be made available in the first half of 2007...
We hate rut, but we fear change.
System error, strike any user to continue...
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

I've emailed their support people in the hope that they have a beta driver I can play with - the netgear forum is fairly vocal about it. How big a surprise was Vista then?

I'm more peed of with Vista tho'
SYMPTOMS
When you insert a Windows Vista 64-bit DVD within a 32-bit operating system, and setup is launched, the operation is unsuccessful, and you receive the following error message:
Setup cannot run on this version of the Operating System. To install Windows please try booting from the install media.
When you try to upgrade a computer’s operating system from the 64-bit version of Windows XP Professional (x64) to a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, the upgrade is disabled.

Note If you have a 64-bit version of Windows Vista installed, you can upgrade to an allowed 64-bit version of Windows Vista. For example, you can upgrade Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.

Back to the top
CAUSE
This behavior occurs because Windows operating system upgrades are supported only between matching operating system architectures. A 32-bit version of Windows XP does not recognize the 64-bit Windows Vista installer engine.

Back to the top
RESOLUTION
If you have a 32-bit version of Windows XP and want to install a 64-bit version of Windows Vista, you must boot the computer from the 64-bit Windows Vista DVD and then perform a custom installation of Windows Vista. Back up data before you start the custom installation.
So basically the label 'Upgrade' is a lie because it is impossible to upgrade from 32bit to 64bit. Microsoft kindly give you an upgrade advisor so you can confirm before you buy that it will run - it doesn't tell you that you need to format first.

Nero is incompatible too btw

evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

What do they expect? I am really wondering why they even released a seperate version by now.
colinJohn
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Post by colinJohn »

Ho hum. One can only assume that Netgear has removed the SC-101s from sale as pretty much every PC sold from here on has Vista.
Thank you for choosing NETGEAR, my name is Kumar and I will be your support engineer.

Regarding your query we are sorry to inform you that SC101 vista driver are under development it is still not released.

Again sorry for inconvenience.

Regards,
Kumar
NETGEAR Support

Daft Ada
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by Daft Ada »

colinJohn wrote:It is marked "Upgrade"

1. It doesn't upgrade. My plan was to do an upgrade install from XP Pro SP2 so I didn't have to faff around for a day re-installing all my software and files - then do a clean install in 12 months time when all the worst bugs were fixed.

2. My network attached storage device (Netgear Zetera) doesn't support Vista. So all my back-up files now and future won't work.

1. Boot with the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD.

2. Click "Install Now."

3. Do not enter a Product Key When prompted.

4. When prompted, select the Vista product edition that you do have.

6. Install Vista normally.

7. Once the install is complete, restart the DVD-based Setup from within Windows Vista. Perform an in-place upgrade.

8. Enter your Product Key when prompted.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/mobile/pda/ ... 5011&News=
evasive
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Post by evasive »

HAHAHAHAHA this is ridiculous. Vista is becoming the laugh of the OS industry this way. I really hope this isn't true. No matter how many improvements under the hood, this just won't fly for the average Joe. Gimme a break...
ajrox
Black Belt 1st Degree
Black Belt 1st Degree

Post by ajrox »

colinJohn wrote:DRM is already hacked.

Anyhoo, my copy of Windows Vista Ultimate arrived today for a mere £240. A real snip.

It is marked "Upgrade"

you should have did your homework.
EVGA 790i tri SLI
intel core2 quad 9550
6gb G.SKILL DDR3 16000
water cooled fo sho
the rest when i get paid