System crashes occassionally.

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

System crashes occassionally.

Postby absolut505 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:29 pm

Hello,

I've been having a problem with my system for some time now. It seems to crash whenever it feels like it. Sometimes a few times a day some times once a few days.

Here is the specs of my system:
(2) Athlon 1800MP
Asus A7M266-D motherboard
2GB ECC DDR memory
nVidia GeForce 3 Ti 500
Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum Ex
3Com 10/100 ethernet card
Yamaha CRW-F1ZSN
Plextor PlexWriter 12/10/32S
Pioneer SCSI DVD-Rom Model 305S
Mitsumi 1.44 Floppy
36GB SCSI hard drive
18GB SCSI hard drive
(2) 80GB IDE hard drive
(1) 60GB IDE hard drive

Operating System is Windows XP Professional. Some programs that I run in the background are:
Diskeeper 7, Norton AntiVirus 2002, Kazaa, Active Sync (for my iPaq), and AIM.

Now it blue screens every time it crashes. Each time is a different error message. One message might say that there was something with the SCSI drivers. Another might say something about the sound card drivers. Then sometimes it is the USB drivers. It is just plain random. Some times I leave my computer on overnight with nothing running and it crashes.

I'm stumped... I've checked the support site for Microsoft. I've updated all drivers. I've updated all Bios (motherboard and SCSI card). Still crashes.

Can anyone out there advise me on what to do... the only thing I can think of is to reinstall everything again. But that's the last resort.

Thanks in advance.
absolut505
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Sat Oct 12, 2002 3:38 am

Disable the stuff running in the background esp. KAZAA and NORTON VIRUSCAN. They are major players in causing conflicts.

There is also a good chance it is your RAM try a single stick and as it is an ASUS board , it is very partial to the brand it likes preferring CRUCIAL, CORSAIR , SAMSUNG, HYNIX, WINBOND and NANYA ( i have used these brands on ASUS boards with no problems).
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby sauvagii » Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:34 pm

Sounds sooo sooo familiar to me.......BSOD's randomly and for different errors every time.

I thought it was memory timing after taking somem advice from HJ and others on here, and after using MEMTEST86 to test my ram i seemed to get somewhere...but now its started again...so maybe its time to go back to the drawing board for me

I totally sympathise with your situation - im so frustrated its unbelieveable! good luck! :)
sauvagii
Initiate
Initiate

Return to Operating Systems