Windows XP Pro hangs up on install of a new system

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Pro hangs up on install of a new system

Postby Otoole » Fri Oct 11, 2002 7:51 am

Just built a new system, POST with no problems. Try to run a new install of XP Pro and when I get to the license agreement it ask for "F8 to accept" I hit F8 and nothing happens. It is just locked up on the license agreement screen. What is the fix? Everything up to this point was going well.

MOBO: MSI KT4 Ultra with Athlon XP 2000+ and 512MB Corsair XMS Ram
HDD: WD 80GB Special Edition (configured as single master)

I checked the BIOS Setup and everything seems to be as it should be.

I am using an OEM version of Windows XP Pro. Called Microsoft and received no help there unless I was willing to give them some dead presidents. Would just as soon not do that if I can avoid it.

This has always been a good forum for information and problem resolution. Hope someone can help on this.

Thanks
Otoole
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:19 am

Check all your cabling and jumpers (yet again?), try the RAM in a different slot, clean your CD with XP on it, clean the CD-ROM and don't install from a DVD player 'cos this can cause this.
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Otoole » Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:48 am

Did all that. Moved RAM to another slot, checked all jumpers and cables and checked the WinXP disk. Still hangs up at the licensing screen. I can scroll up and down the licensing page but it will not accept F8.
Bad disk maybe?
"Your life is the sum total of the choices you've made. If you don't like your life, make better choices."
Otoole
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Mr T » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:09 am

Could be a bad keyboard?
Mr T
Enlightened Master
Enlightened Master

Postby Otoole » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:28 pm

The keyboard works. I can page up/down and exit setup just not continue on with F8. I have used the keyboard in the BIOS Setup and it works fine.
I am installing an OEM version of WinXp. Will the OEM version still format and partition the HD?
"Your life is the sum total of the choices you've made. If you don't like your life, make better choices."
Otoole
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:30 pm

What kind of keyboard? USB? PS/2? Once you hit F8, can you do nothing else afterwards? Can you still page up and page down (as if you really didn't hit anything) ?
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby Otoole » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:52 pm

A new Logitech Keyboard, USB with a PS2 adapter. Hitting F8 has no effect what so ever. I can still page up/down and exit. The keyboard works fine navigating around the BIOS setup. Very strange!
Otoole
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby D&E5 » Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:53 pm

It did that to me with my new system and I opened and closed the rom drive and weeeeeeee it finally finished.
D&E5
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:23 pm

Try straight USB. The only thing I can think of is that the keyboard driver(s) used in the XP installer do not work with that keyboard.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Re: Windows XP Pro hangs up on install of a new system

Postby Valour » Sun Oct 13, 2002 7:42 pm

Otoole wrote:Just built a new system, POST with no problems. Try to run a new install of XP Pro and when I get to the license agreement it ask for "F8 to accept" I hit F8 and nothing happens. It is just locked up on the license agreement screen. What is the fix? Everything up to this point was going well.

MOBO: MSI KT4 Ultra with Athlon XP 2000+ and 512MB Corsair XMS Ram
HDD: WD 80GB Special Edition (configured as single master)

I checked the BIOS Setup and everything seems to be as it should be.

I am using an OEM version of Windows XP Pro. Called Microsoft and received no help there unless I was willing to give them some dead presidents. Would just as soon not do that if I can avoid it.

This has always been a good forum for information and problem resolution. Hope someone can help on this.

Thanks

In the BIOS, is PNP OS set to Yes? Sometimes this fixes problems like this... I've fixed a lot of Windows setup problems with that one alteration. I once had two identical systems that I was installing Win98SE on, and one would hang at a certain point every time; the other installed flawlessly. The only difference was PNP OS setting in BIOS... changed it, and woila...

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Operating Systems