redhat 8 frustration

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

redhat 8 frustration

Postby len444 » Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:44 pm

i personally think that they let this thing out too soon- unleash it to the masses, then resolve the issues, sounds like microsoft to me. or perhaps the commercialized aspects are a turn off, so some are spiting the os?

all i know, is that i get an 'anacondump' (crash) because of missing files as follows (not 100% accurate):

file /mnt/sysimage/var/tmp/2lib-1.1.4-4.i386 can not be opened- missing file rpm.. a bad package..bad media...

i tried to present this at bugzilla.redhat.com, but it's a little too complex- i really just want to describe the situation, and e-mail copies of the floppy diskette files that i got- perhaps this is specific to the redhat distro (which i believe is still a beta w/ too many problems as i guage from the others- for every person that speaks, there are others that don't). tough to say- i downloaded the disk 1 iso from 2 different sites, and still get the same error? man, all i want to do is load the f*cken thing, and get on w/ my life- i'm too new at this to attempt to debug it. burn cdrw's, not cdr's!!!!!!!!

i'm presenting the above line from the error message, as i'm clueless, and hope someone can id some of the line as a reference to ???

btw, how are the iso's distributed to the mirror sites at linuxiso.org? i mean, are these people modifying files somewhere during the distribution process? all my md5sums (perhaps the md5sums are representing a bad file?) checked out ok, and the media all 'pass' at the beginning of the install process, so all should be fine, right? if so, then what?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:16 pm

The ISOs at Linuxiso.org are right from the main site. Essentially, the error means part of the package is missing...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:05 am

thanks hardware junkie. perhaps i'll just have to learn how to add some file(s)? kinda blown away, and just realize that i'm a total freakin newbie to linux. oh well. it's like blow head, man- so will i be able to deal w/ linux (not that microsoft products don't give me grief- it's just that you hear so many positives/ embellishments of linux, it's like it's flawless)? wish i could read up on coding, and have 100% retrieval (or even 50%- but will that be 50% cohesive and relevant? perhaps a flow diagram from kernal outward, and some cues that represent those different parts?). not sure if i'm helping, or an annoyance w/ this- i'll help out some if i can though.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 11, 2002 10:45 am

Linux is more of a tool, because there is so much you can do with it. You feel like your getting into the nitty gritty with Linux (especially if you ever plan on making your own distro).
With Windows your just a user (especially now with XP)...with Linux you are actually adminitrating your box.

My advice would be, if you have 2 hard drives, make one your OS partition, and another your data drive. Anything you want to keep, make sure you back it up. When your venturing into a new OS, its always a good idea....

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 11:57 am

My advice would be, if you have 2 hard drives, make one your OS partition, and another your data drive. Anything you want to keep, make sure you back it up. When your venturing into a new OS, its always a good idea....

i actually moved (actually wiped and installed elsewhere) my win2k partition from one drive to another- so that i have somewhat of an experimentation zone available (seperate dr.).

what you say about having some control sounds really good to me- perhaps this will get me into it? question is, does the source code iso's have the particular files that i would be in need of and the next thing is would i then do an extraction from it (i have 2 cd drives- cdr/w and dvd/cd-rom)at the debug option? there must be a debug process that is heirarchical in nature- ie. start at a certain point and build out from there while checking for other files and compatability w/ as you work out (i am clueless, and assume)? i am aware of, and have the bookmarks for linux newbie.org, and i believe linux questions(?). let me do some research on this. perhaps i'm looking for a moment that will be a revelation- i need to understand the essential logic, and the essential coding/ switches- sort of a start point that i can build outward from. perhaps i need to create a cheat sheet that i have immediately available- is there a 'bible' for linux (something else to read, and little time- getting ready for winter now)?
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby len444 » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:11 pm

Linux is more of a tool, because there is so much you can do with it

i have some ideas, and that is generally what i was hoping for. is there a very small linux that is so basic, that i can learn with- strip it down, and build it back up- i need some kind of essential learning experience before i can really comprehend whats going on. i need some kind of a hands on approach. i'd better post this and run- later
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:14 pm

Actually I think there is a book titled "Linux Bible". Though everything you need should be obtained by "man <whatever command you need help with>"

example: man ls

that will give you information on the LS command.

I would also recommend the Linux Command Refference Guide. Very useful.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Return to Operating Systems