hal.dll and problem loading safe mode WIN XP

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

hal.dll and problem loading safe mode WIN XP

Postby giventofly » Mon Oct 07, 2002 7:41 pm

Hello,

I can't boot up into safe mode because the system hangs upon loading mup.sys

I'm using WIN XP and I'm going to add some new hardware soon. Since I can't boot up in safe mode and remove all of the drivers of my old hardware, I want to know if replacing Hal.dll is ok? I replaced this file accidentally once only to find out that WIN XP had to re install of my hardware again including the drivers. Can I replace it again or is it a no-no to do replace this file.

P.S. if anybody knows about the hang up in safe mode loading of the file mup.sys, tell me!
giventofly
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Re: hal.dll and problem loading safe mode WIN XP

Postby Valour » Tue Oct 08, 2002 5:56 am

giventofly wrote:Hello,

I can't boot up into safe mode because the system hangs upon loading mup.sys

I'm using WIN XP and I'm going to add some new hardware soon. Since I can't boot up in safe mode and remove all of the drivers of my old hardware, I want to know if replacing Hal.dll is ok? I replaced this file accidentally once only to find out that WIN XP had to re install of my hardware again including the drivers. Can I replace it again or is it a no-no to do replace this file.

P.S. if anybody knows about the hang up in safe mode loading of the file mup.sys, tell me!

Did you try to search Microsoft's support database for this problem? They have an excellent record of error messages and solutions.

I'm not familiar with hal.dll, so I have no idea what it does. If your computer starts saying "Stop, Dave, my mind is going," then you might be in trouble though.

-Jem
"The proverb says that Providence protects children and idiots. This is really true. I know because I have tested it." -Mark Twain

I wrote this book: www.herotale.com
And here's the next one: www.emeraldblackbird.com
Valour
Black Belt 2nd Degree
Black Belt 2nd Degree

Return to Operating Systems