WinXP can't detect my Ultra ATA 133 PCI driven HDD-Why?

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

WinXP can't detect my Ultra ATA 133 PCI driven HDD-Why?

Postby Raquel » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:14 am

Does anyone know why Win XP doesn't detect my Maxtor 30G harddrive? I am using a EPMA Via Motherboard with a Via C3 processor. I installed the PCI card fine (red light on m/b indicates PCI card is in standby mode). To set up the hard drive, I used a Maxtor floppy. Maxtor detected a Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 PCI card was being used and allowed me to partition the hard drive.

However, when I try to load Win XP Pro, it is saying Win XP did not find any hard disk drives installed in my computer.

I will point out: 1) The bios is not detecting any hard drive is installed and 2)the serial bus controller, mass storage controller, and network controller all appear to be using IRQ 11 while the IDE controller is using IRQ 14, if this helps.

Any suggestions? My main goal is to boot Win XP with the hard driver partitioned as follows: Part 1=5004 G, FAT32, Part 2=14316 G, FAT32, and Part 3=10001 G, NTFS.

Thanks in advance!!!!
Raquel
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby Phillipste » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:42 pm

Raquel,

First of all it is not usally a good thing if the drive is not detected by the BIOS. Please check the cable and jumper settings. You must use a 80 pin cable to get ATA133. It should have a blue end that connects to the mother board. On my Western Digital and most hard drives I have worked with if there is only one hard drive remove all the jumpers. If you have two try cable select and then Master/slave.

Update your BIOS or verify that your board supports ATA133. I am not familiar with your board. Even it only supports ATA100 that should not be a major problem.

If that does not work remove all your cards that are not necessary. That will resolve any IRQ or memory conflicts if you have them.

Hopefully at some point your BIOS will detect the drive.

Now, Windows XP probably will not detect the hard drive even if the bios does because XP does not have the ATA133 drivers. At one point durring the initial XP setup a message appears at the bottom that says something like "Press F6 now to load drivers". You press F6 and insert a floppy you downloaded from VIA with the latest drivers. XP will use them during setup.

Or you can do what I did to load XP which is in the BIOS I set my drive to ATA66. XP loaded, I updated all my VIA drivers and then I set the drive back to ATA100.

Good Luck.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Oct 07, 2002 1:50 pm

Phillipste, I am pretty sure he meant he is using an ATA PCI controller card with the drive....so the BIOS would never see the drive.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby len444 » Mon Oct 07, 2002 2:18 pm

:arrow: i redid a win2kpro os install, and i have the hard drives on a controller card- the os didn't load correctly (got a bsod/ stop error), so i noticed during the reinstall that it says (loosely) " pressf6 to install 3rd party drivers" so i pressed it, loaded the controller card driver, and proceeded to install the os. perhaps this will be helpful.
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby Phillipste » Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:17 am

Sorry I misunderstood.

Ignore what I said about the BIOS.

Do Press F6 during the XP setup and insert a floppy to manually load the drivers. Hopfully the Controller Card came with a driver disk.
ANTEC SX1040b case,ASUS A7V333,AMD Athlon XP 2200+ ,Thermaltake Volcano 9
512mb Corsair PC2100,120 GB WD w 8mb Cache,GAIDWARD Geforce4 TI4600,NEC Multisynch A500
Phillipste
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Operating Systems