Windows XP Pro Install Issue

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Windows XP Pro Install Issue

Postby chris purkiss » Sat Oct 05, 2002 10:47 am

I have a 60GB hdd that is split into three partitions. The first is running WME, the second is for data and the third has recently been created as a FAT32 Logical partition (XP) so that I can run Windows XP Pro. I want to keep both OS separate from each other so I've done it this way.

The new partition was created using Partition Manager 6 and I also have BootMagic installed but disabled on the WME partition.

I have a Soltek SL-75DRV5 mainboard which is only about two months old and which has 256MB of RAM.

Before attempting to install XP on my live system I disconnected the drive, hooked up an old drive I had and installed XP so I know the CD should be OK.

The system has been back in it's normal working mode for a few days now and there hasn't been any problem running WME. The XP partition is Hidden by PM6.

I have activated the XP partition with PM6 and the system boots ok from either the MS XP setup diskettes or my W98SE setup diskette.

However when I try to install XP, whether using the MS setup diskettes or directly from the I386 folder on the CD and running WINNT, it copies the files ok but when the system reboots for the first time PRIOR to WXP actually installing, the system hangs at the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" section of POST.

I've read various articles as to why a system might hang at the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" stage but can't see why this should happen when installing XP.

Anyone got any ideas
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sat Oct 05, 2002 2:18 pm

Why don't you format the second drive to NTFS? Windows XP is going to have to install files to the Windows ME partition anyways to install the boot loader. Atleast while in Windows ME you won't see the WIndows XP drive if its formatted to NTFS
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby chris purkiss » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:23 am

Thanks for the reply.

Although I understand that NTFS is deemed to be more stable than FAT32 I decided against it because I wanted to retain the option to boot either partition from DOS floppy so I can use the PM or BootMagic floppies for example in the event of a problem.

Also, by setting the new XP partition to Primary, PM6 will make the inactive partition hidden from the rest of the system. With XP install this means everything is written to the root directory of the "C" drive, in this case the XP partition, and nothing gets installed to the WME drive because it "doesn't exist".

Having researched The Desktop Management Interface (DMI)it seems the main component of DMI is the Management Information Format Database, or MIFD (the DMI Pool Data). This database contains all the information about the computing system and its components and changes in hard drives or to hard drive settings alters this pool data and can cause "The Computer stops at verifying dmi pool data" problem

The following are quoted variously as the most likely cause:

1. Corrupt boot files on the computer.
2. Settings for hard disk drive are not correct.
3. Boot devices not set properly.
4. BIOS corrupt or misc. setting not set properly.
5. Connections loose or disconnected.
6. Bad Hard disk drive or other bad hardware.

Of these, I think the last three can be ignored as any of the these would almost certainly give the same problem when booting into WME.

Corrupt boot files(?), I assume that the DOS portion of XP install places some sort of bootable files on the drive before rebooting.

Settings for hard disk drive are not correct(?) I've not changed any hard disk drive settings within CMOS.

Boot devices not set properly(?) My boot options in CMOS are standard i.e floppy first, then hard drive, them CD-ROM.

Not being a techno freak I have to look at things logically to try understand what's happening. If XP installs to an independant hard drive then is there something odd about the XP partition (drive) created by PM6 that the BIOS doesn't like/recognise when XP boots to start it's install?
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

You may need to get an Ultra-ATA 133 PCI card

Postby Raquel » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:16 am

I am having a similar problem with booting WinXP. I am trying to load windows xp pro on 30 Gig hard drive. I have tried using two different motherboards. The first m/b did not give me any commentary after the "Verifying DMI Pool Data" message. The second m/b did give me commentary after the "verifying DMI Pool Data" message. It said "stop: 0x0000007B. In the Microsoft Knowledge base, this message correlates to the same possible problems you have listed above which could be the cause.

I read my harddrive documentation and it is very helpful in addressing these "hanging" issues. My harddrive documentation recommended getting an Ultra ATA 133 PCI card. As it turns out, my harddrive is ATA 133, but my motherboard only recognizes up to ATA 100. Unfortunately, I'm having a hard time getting the bios to recognize the Ultra ATA 133 PCI card. But, it could be just because of the m/b I'm using or because I need to upgrade the bios.

I would definitely suggest reading your harddrive documentation in the "troubleshooting" section, if you haven't already.
Raquel
Pilgrim
Pilgrim

Postby chris purkiss » Sun Oct 06, 2002 10:39 am

Hi Raquel

Thanks for the input. I've never had the stop message just the "Verifying DMI pool data" message blinking away at me. Read the MS Knowledge database but this seems to deal more with upgrading rather than a clean install.

As I said I only bought my mainboard about two months ago and it's a fairly new model so I would expect it to be compatible with XP. The hard drive is also only a few months old so again I wouldn't see why it should have a compatability problem with XP. But then who knows with computers.

My own thinking that it has to be something to do with the partition I had setup for XP but goodness only knows what. I've looked at my mainboard manual and there isn't a trouble shooting section.

The Soltek maninboard is quite popular so I'm still hoping that someone might come up with the answer. If not then I suppose I could try and see if Soltek themselves can come up with an answer.

At a last resort I suppose I could consider moving my WME system to the intended XP partition and then try XP on the freed up partition. It's a bit hairy so perhaps I'll keep that on the back burner just in case everything goes pear shaped.

Alternatively I could move my data around to free up my 4.3GB Quantum drive and try installing XP on that. It's not the ideal situation and I will have think about it a bit more.

It's at times like this that I hate computers!
chris purkiss
Green Belt
Green Belt

Return to Operating Systems