Duel booting(i know i know, its annoying)

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Postby len444 » Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:13 pm

:arrow: for win98 Note: this should be a full version of win98- if an upgrade, you'll need a previous version to do the install*
use a new floppy disk, and make certain to enter the bios, and set the boot order w/ floppy as first boot device, cd-rom as second, and hdd as third, and disable antivirus protection of cpu. if you can, open up my computer, right click the A drive, select format, and do a full format and select display summary when completed- if it reports and bad sector/ bytes- toss it in the garbage. get a good floppy first, then open the downloaded bootdisk file to that floppy, then reboot, do the bios routine described (save, and exit), and you shoul be on your way.

:arrow: :idea: print out the help file from the boot disk, that will give you some idea of the commands.

generally at the A prompt, type in fdisk.exe<enter>, and go from there. when done you will be prompted to shutdown the system to make changes permanant (esc. and shutdown), then you need to boot up/start the system back up, and format the partitions that were created w/ fdisk

(enable large hdd support, create a prmary partition, then an extended partition (accept full value), then create logical dos drives in the extended partition (until all space is used up), then esc/ shut down and format all the partitions created, exit when all completed, and w/ os cd in cd drive type in setup<enter> should load up the os.

a much simpler approach would be to just create 1 primary partition (accept full amount), then esc and shut down, reboot, and format, reboot (not sure if necessary- if prompted to do so, then do so!)then load the os.

an even easier approach would be to use maxblast from maxtor
cant find DOS

*[see the note above] delete the partition(s), then create a new partition(s), format, and load win98 (on master hdd), then shut down hook second hdd as slave (set the jumpers correctly on rear of hdd) to it on same ide cable (middle connector), boot up the machine, put win xp in the cdrom, and should be detected, then have it go (as advised) to go to the D drive, which will be the second hdd (the slave hdd), format w/ either fat32 or ntfs (better security w/ ntfs, though you won't be able to access the same files on your system)- os will install the bootloader in the mbr of the c drive.

an os should be installed on a primary partition- both hdd should be set up so that the format is for primary, as opposed to data only.

have fun!

:!: :idea: [bootdisk.com will have instructions on partitioning, and formatting- print out these instructions, as it'll serve you well in hand when deep w/
in the processes of using fdisk, and format (ect...) w/ the winboot disk]
len444
Black Belt 3rd Degree
Black Belt 3rd Degree

Postby punktx » Sun Oct 06, 2002 3:42 pm

Len444,
man thanks for the link and that whole thing.....i got the boot disk, and what i think i forgot to do was get the 98 boot disk..and install 98 first, then 98se...........but now i have another snag....

Is there anyway to get the first HDD w/ XP on it to the new hard drive.......and can i notice all the files in both HDD when im in a different OS????? im going to try to install 98 now...wish me luck..
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:02 pm

Is there anyway to get the first HDD w/ XP on it to the new hard drive.......

Some what confused by what your saying but...no...
And anyways, 98 has to be installed first because during the Windows XP installlation it has to make the boot.ini for you to get into Windows.

and what i think i forgot to do was get the 98 boot disk..and install 98 first, then 98se.

Ah you were using an upgrade disk...now that whole thing makes sense...
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Sun Oct 06, 2002 5:48 pm

well......heres an update...

I did get 98SE to work.....(some of it...sorry HJ, i guess it wasnt the upgrade disk, it was full) i got it formatted and partitioned....but one problem is keeping me from getting 98SE on that second drive is.....the damn CD is scratched up...so it wont read off it correctly......DAMN......

HJ,
what i meant by make the second hard drive the first, was to transfer it all over..but since i have that second drive formatted and partitioned, i can just move it thru windows(im pretty sure).....

But like u said, if i did install 98se first(master drive), id have to install XP second on the (Slave drive).......

id have to reinstall XP CORRECT????? i just have to back up everything......

------------- i hope if someone has questions about this stuff in the futre, u should direct them here, because were working on 3 pages here!! :lol:
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 6:07 pm

The way XP installs itself you would have to do a reinstall. So yeah, clean both drives off (reformat them) - get rid of any data and do a clean install of Windows 98SE and then Windows XP.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Mon Oct 07, 2002 3:21 pm

HJ, I can't thank u enough for all the help you have given me......i hope something great happens in your future...like winning a Dodge Viper :lol:
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:00 pm

Hey man, me too....keep your fingers crossed. :P

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Previous

Return to Operating Systems