Duel booting(i know i know, its annoying)

Discussions, problem solving, and tips and trick for operating systems go here. Windows, Mac, and Linux are ok. If you want to fight or put down an OS go to The Hundred Year War Forum. It will not be tolerated here. Make sure to post what OS is being discussed in the title of your post.

Moderator: The Mod Squad

Duel booting(i know i know, its annoying)

Postby punktx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:43 pm

yes yes...ive read many things on dual booting,... but...

Today i just about a Maxtor 30 Gig(7200RPM) hard drive for only $50!...and now i have that and my other 20 G hard drive(5400)...now this is my question..

I have the 98SE disk on my Family computer..if i can use that again on this system im going too...and i want XP.....w/ 2 hard drive i was thinking of installing 98SE on my 20 G, then XP on my 30G....now...ive seen many dual booting directions that i have to partition these hard drives.....(do i really have to tho?) if i install both OS's opn separt hard drives and have the XP on MASTER boot...how could i get to my 98 SE...
does anyone have this configuration??? anything simple and plainless for me????

Thanks for all answers!!
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:59 pm

Hook the 20GB up as the primary boot device.
Install the 30GB as primary slave, secondary master or secondary slave.
Boot into Windows 98 and make sure all the hardware is all installed correctly and the system boots.
Make sure your 30GB is partitioned and formatted to FAT32.
Restart the computer off the XP installtion CD and install XP to the D drive and it should automatically configure everything for you.
It will display a menu at the beginning asking you to boot to Microsoft Windows XP Home/Professrional or Microsoft Windows (being the 98 partition)

It'll work.
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality." -Jules de Gautier

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:11 pm

DAMN that was a quich response HJ..thanks....but i have to ask you.....

-Why do i have to partition the second drive(the 30g)??i can do that w/ the software from maxtor right? ill just configure it in 98se then install xp on it?

-after i do install Xp on the 30G, it askes what to boot? will it do this everytime, i boot? or just if i hit a key or something...

sorry for the stupidity..
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:16 pm

If you've never done it before and don't want to keep reinstalling and reinstalling and reinstalling...over and over...questions are a good idea.
Its never stupid

-Why do i have to partition the second drive(the 30g)??i can do that w/ the software from maxtor right? ill just configure it in 98se then install xp on it?

If you don't partition the drive, the Windows XP installation will not see it. You can use Maxtors software, or FDISK from the command line. Either will be fine.

-after i do install Xp on the 30G, it askes what to boot? will it do this everytime, i boot? or just if i hit a key or something...

It will do this every time you start your PC with a count down of 30 seconds. After 30 seconds the default will be used (Windows XP).
You can change these options once XP is installed within BOOT.INI
This is a hidden, readonly file. You have to uncheck the read-only access and then edit it as you see fit (if you want to anyways...)

ALso you can use this tool here to configure the boot.ini
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expe ... banez1.asp

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:33 pm

so when i partiton the drive...do i install Xp on the smaller partition of it....like how much should i partition??? 2 Gigs?

SO TO MAKE SURE......

1.) install 98se on 20G, set as Primary boot

2.)format and partition 30G, and set as Secondary boot(so i set the jumper as slave still??)

3.)intstall XP on 30G, and it can do this since there is a partition there....

That partition thing is a stupid thing to do, but if i have to do it so XP ca n see it to install it, i guess i have to......THANKS FOR THE recap..
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:36 pm

so when i partiton the drive...do i install Xp on the smaller partition of it....like how much should i partition??? 2 Gigs?

No...you should be able to partition, format and use the whole 30GB and install XP on that. I mean you could put it as 2GB if you want? 8O

2.)format and partition 30G, and set as Secondary boot(so i set the jumper as slave still??)

Primary Slave, Secondary Master, Secondary Slave....which ever one of those....just make sure the 20GB is the primary boot device.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Postby punktx » Fri Oct 04, 2002 6:46 pm

haha sorry i think i got my self confused by the partitioning....when i format and partition....

when i partition it means i make it into like drive D: (ex.)

so formating it would not make it viewable to XP....oohh i got ya!...well i thank u for your help HJ, you a good moderator..and i hope you stay for a while...
im going to try to get this all done tomorrow...and ill let u know how it worked out...(first i have to back up all my stuff first)
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby punktx » Sun Oct 06, 2002 7:57 am

damn thing wont even format for me!! its a Maxtor 30 G....

it says to put in the floppy and the cd...then start up, and it will say it notices the blank drive would i like to format/..... but it doesnt evn do that! it says "Can't find DOS"......what the hell??? im PISSED OFF!!!!! PLEASE HELP BEFORE I THROW IT out my window..

i have a A7v333
AMD xp1700+
XP professional on my other.... going to install 98se when i get this done....or just extra storge for now..
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby punktx » Sun Oct 06, 2002 9:13 am

HJ,
This thing wont even format for me...i put in the floppy and the cd to format it and it says something like "cant find DOS"....do u know how to get past this or how do i use FDISK? thro my command promt
punktx
Green Belt
Green Belt

Postby Hardware Junkie » Sun Oct 06, 2002 12:07 pm

Sorry it took so long for me to respond...
"Can't find DOS"?

I am not sure what's going on here. Unless your starting the install and it needs an OS in order for it to run intitially...

Download a Windows ME boot disk from here:
http://www.bootdisk.com/original.htm

It'll be bootable. It'll have FDISK and Format...and it should work.

Hardware Junkie
Mobo-fu Master
Mobo-fu Master

Next

Return to Operating Systems